British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Beirao

Alf Wells at Bradford

Anyone remember Alf's time at Bradford. Seemed to start quite well in 1970 but his scoring tailed off the following year. Did he get on ok with promoter Whaley with whom he had a rough time at Hampden in 1969? 

Edited by Beirao

Speedway Riders Index: 1929-2022:

Alfred Richard James (Alf) WELLS

Born: 28 January 1942, Christchurch, New Zealand.

Career record: (1961-65) Edinburgh; (1966-67) Glasgow; (1968) Glasgow, Newcastle; (1969) Glasgow; (1970) Nelson, Bradford; (1971-72) Bradford; (1974) Berwick.

2 hours ago, Beirao said:

Anyone remember Alf's time at Bradford. Seemed to start quite well in 1970 but his scoring tailed off the following year. Did he get on ok with promoter Whaley with whom he had a rough time at Hampden in 1969? 

Not strictly true. He averaged 9.32 in 1970, and was over 9 again (9.02) the following year. It was 1972 when his scoring nosedived to below 6.

• Like 1

I remember Alf , but at Edinburgh in the PL. I know Alf has passed away I think at a relatively young age (i.e. anybody younger than me -77). Didn't he unfortunately lose two legs in later life-not sure if it was to some disease or as a track accident)

11 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

I remember Alf , but at Edinburgh in the PL. I know Alf has passed away I think at a relatively young age (i.e. anybody younger than me -77). Didn't he unfortunately lose two legs in later life-not sure if it was to some disease or as a track accident)

Has Alf passed away?

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

Has Alf passed away?

I'm pretty sure he's still with us. 

4 hours ago, Beirao said:

I'm pretty sure he's still with us. 

That’s what I Though(but could be wrong).Thought he lived in the Borders.

My mistake and I am very glad Alf is still with us. Apolgies to everyone and especially Alf!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

My mistake and I am very glad Alf is still with us. Apolgies to everyone and especially Alf!!

Thanks ,good to know he is still with us.He did live in the Borders for along time but I believe he is back in New Zealand.Think the situation with his legs was disease and not a track accident.