British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
spin king

Premiership Media Day

Can’t say the swearing bothered me, but I hope any parents letting their little kids watch it will censor the broadcast. One thing that I thought let the production down slightly was the mic that the 7 riders were handed to respond to questions - could barely make out what was being said.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, kitten2502 said:

Can’t say the swearing bothered me, but I hope any parents letting their little kids watch it will censor the broadcast. One thing that I thought let the production down slightly was the mic that the 7 riders were handed to respond to questions - could barely make out what was being said.

Especially with Niels and Emil. Both already talk quietly.

• Like 1

Not bothered by the swearing personally. Was nice to see the riders showing their personalities. But clearly as shown on this thread it wasn't appreciated by everyone and we do have to keep in mind speedway does have an older fan base who are evidently a bit more sensitive to some foul language.

Some small bits to work on for the future media days, but I do hope they continue beyond this season. A step in the right direction and a lot of credit needs to be given to Phil Morris and the team involved.

• Like 2

Tai has always been one of those riders that's like marmite. Love or hate. I didn't mind the swearing but I understand why some fans will dislike it. I respect anyone who doesn't pretend to be someone there not, having said that he does come across as abit of a knob sometimes. I'm no speedway rider but I'm am a performing musician which has some similarities to speedway. The amount of ass kissing I see in speedway winds me up rotten, just like what I see and hear in the music industry. ' You've got to say this instead of this and never offend anyone' which is a line I hear alot in my industry and its so degrading.  Its refreshing to hear someone just say it how it is and not pretend to be someone else. Anyone that goes out there and says what he thinks rather than what they've been told to say always has my respect. When he was at Leicester last year he was ever so friendly to my dad and friends signing autographs. He didn't have to come out to the supporters for a chat, he did cause he wants to, which is what I like to see. 

• Like 3

So how many media outlets (not speedway facebook sites) used material from yesterday's media day? I don't read many national newspapers but I can't seem to locate anything.

18 minutes ago, michanekman said:

So how many media outlets (not speedway facebook sites) used material from yesterday's media day? I don't read many national newspapers but I can't seem to locate anything.

If they don't try ,they will never know. First proper media day for many a year. Small steps .

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, michanekman said:

The Sun has Search Results for "speedway" | Page 1 | The Sun

'They should pay us to FIGHT' - Three-time world champion blasts bosses but fans hit back at 'poison dwarf' | The Sun

Edited by Sir Sidney
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, michanekman said:

There was definitely a guy from the sun there as he asked a question.

15 hours ago, K7KDD said:

Well done Tai Woffinden...more swearing please and stay real mate.

Stay real?   Have a word with yourself.   If that was the case then every Sky Sports interview post match would be full of expletives, especially this season with the state of VAR.  There isn't, those professional footballers check themselves in front of the cameras, anybody with any level of common sense would.  Swearing is not 'staying real' it's embarrassing in a professional media press day.

As others have said, in the heat of the moment after crashing you forgive them to a degree if emotion gets the better of them when a camera is stuck in their face. But, in that setting yesterday no, and with Woffinden I actually get the impression at times he does it deliberately, which is also not 'staying real' it's pathetic. 

Now don't get me wrong, I swear all the time. especially at the City Ground, but I check myself when appropriate, i.e. kids around or I am doing media interviews (done a few).... it's not rocket science. 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, spin king junior said:

Not bothered by the swearing personally. Was nice to see the riders showing their personalities. But clearly as shown on this thread it wasn't appreciated by everyone and we do have to keep in mind speedway does have an older fan base who are evidently a bit more sensitive to some foul language.

Some small bits to work on for the future media days, but I do hope they continue beyond this season. A step in the right direction and a lot of credit needs to be given to Phil Morris and the team involved.

I'm of the older fan base, I hear swearing on the streets etc I don't like it but I accept its now part of life but when a Media day is to promote  something as a sport for all to watch the excessive swearing used by Tai was unacceptable.  His comments about punch ups on track and how they the riders should be paid/applauded as they put the viewing figures through the roof were also out of order.  If there's an incident on track and in the heat of the moment riders resort to fisticufs it happens so be it, let the referee put it in his report etc but to use it to promote speedway is wrong.  Phil Morris should hold more media days, with louder microphones, but have a word with riders/participants first about what is or is not acceptable, surely people can make a relevant point minus the bad language.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, hammer1969 said:

His comments about punch ups on track and how they the riders should be paid/applauded as they put the viewing figures through the roof were also out of order.  If there's an incident on track and in the heat of the moment riders resort to fisticufs it happens so be it, let the referee put it in his report etc but to use it to promote speedway is wrong.

Remember that Tai fancies himself as a bit of a UFC fighter, he was trying to get something sorted out either last year or the year before with Leon Madsen, everybody else blanked him by the sounds of it. Like I mentioned his last "fight" was an unprovoked cowardly attack from behind on a fan.

The name of this YouTube channel tells you all you need to know, the guy's a gypo!

Edited by iainb

I wonder if Woffobden has learned any Polish swear words, so he can use them during interviews over there?

No?

Hmm....thought not. 

The swearing isn't anywhere near as bad as the hypocrisy.

Must be a case of too many bashes to the head bringing out the true person!

He rides like a 90 year-old granny these days and is way too matey with Bartosz Smarzlik.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

He's come across as a poundshop version of Conor McGregor in the last few years.

The only time he's shown any aggression on the track since his last WC is when he upended that Polish lad from behind who had got on the track. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TheReturn said:

Stay real?   Have a word with yourself.   If that was the case then every Sky Sports interview post match would be full of expletives, especially this season with the state of VAR.  There isn't, those professional footballers check themselves in front of the cameras, anybody with any level of common sense would.  Swearing is not 'staying real' it's embarrassing in a professional media press day.

As others have said, in the heat of the moment after crashing you forgive them to a degree if emotion gets the better of them when a camera is stuck in their face. But, in that setting yesterday no, and with Woffinden I actually get the impression at times he does it deliberately, which is also not 'staying real' it's pathetic. 

Now don't get me wrong, I swear all the time. especially at the City Ground, but I check myself when appropriate, i.e. kids around or I am doing media interviews (done a few).... it's not rocket science. 

Keeping checking yourself mate....you sound a bit fake to me.