British Speedway Forum
chunky

When You're Smiling...

Posted (edited)

Reading the last update posted about Morian Hansen got me thinking... I do have more than a passing interest in speedway riders who "served" in World War II. In addition to Hansen, we've also mentioned Pole Max Rech, who became an RAF pilot during the war, and Canadian George Pepper, who was killed in a test flight in 1942.

There is another rider who sadly, was unable to survive the conflict; former Wimbledon captain, 'Smiling' Jim Kempster. Born "Ernest Kempster" on October 9, 1900, Jim really wasn't around for long. In a short career, he was listed both as "English Champion" (after beating Roger Frogley in a match race in 1928), and "World Champion" (when beating Sprouts Elder). Of course, nothing was official, but he still proved himself a quality rider, posting an average of 10.00 in 1929, and 9.21 in 1930. His average dipped to below 7 the following season.

After taking a season off, he reappeared for Clapton in 1933, but was never the same rider. Still, in such a short space of time, he managed to find himself pictured on at least two sets of cigarette cards!

So, on to the war, and he served with the Air Transport Auxiliary. The ATA delivered everything from mail and medical supplies to personnel and aircraft. On 29 June, 1945, Jim was piloting Anson DG916 when the aircraft hit some HT cables in bad weather, and crashed into the River Rhine. Flight Officer E.A.D. Kempster was killed along with Second Officer Harry Race. He was 44.

His grave is at the Rheinberg War Cemetery in Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany.

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, chunky said:

Reading the last update posted about Morian Hansen got me thinking... I do have more than a passing interest in speedway riders who "served" in World War II. In addition to Hansen, we've also mentioned Pole Max Rech, who became an RAF pilot during the war, and Canadian George Pepper, who was killed in a test flight in 1942.

There is another rider who sadly, was unable to survive the conflict; former Wimbledon captain, 'Smiling' Jim Kempster. Born "Ernest Kempster" on October 9, 1900, Jim really wasn't around for long. In a short career, he was listed both as "English Champion" (after beating Roger Frogley in a match race in 1928), and "World Champion" (when beating Sprouts Elder). Of course, nothing was official, but he still proved himself a quality rider, posting an average of 10.00 in 1929, and 9.21 in 1930. His average dipped to below 7 the following season.

After taking a season off, he reappeared for Clapton in 1933, but was never the same rider. Still, in such a short space of time, he managed to find himself pictured on at least two sets of cigarette cards!

So, on to the war, and he served with the Air Transport Auxiliary. The ATA delivered everything from mail and medical supplies to personnel and aircraft. On 29 June, 1945, Jim was piloting Anson DG916 when the aircraft hit some HT cables in bad weather, and crashed into the River Rhine. Flight Officer E.A.D. Kempster was killed along with Second Officer Harry Race. He was 44.

His grave is at the Rheinberg War Cemetery in Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany.

I would have liked to have 'Like'd this Post.

Unfortunately, for some reason, I can't.

I've been unable to for months, despite reporting it.

Who was the next Speedway Dane after Morian Hansen- I'm thinking Ole Olsen- but there must have been others before him. Help!!

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, BOBBATH said:

Who was the next Speedway Dane after Morian Hansen- I'm thinking Ole Olsen- but there must have been others before him. Help!!

Um, wrong thread, Bob!

Anyway, it was Arne Pander. Then Preben Andreasen.

Edited by chunky

7 hours ago, chunky said:

Um, wrong thread, Bob!

Anyway, it was Arne Pander. Then Preben Andreasen.

Sorry, this is the wrong thread, but Kurt Petersen was before Preben Andreasen.

2 hours ago, norbold said:

Good call! I thought I was forgetting someone...

Sorry for the confusion guys re the wrong thread- I'm turning into gustix (RIP)!!

Posted (edited)
On 4/3/2024 at 10:10 AM, norbold said:

Not sure on which thread I should post this but anyway ....

In the link below it states that, "The very first oval earth track, purposely built for motorcycle racing, in Scandinavia and most likely in Europe opened in Bagsvaerd, a suburb north of Copenhagen in 1920." I know that it’s generally accepted that the “first speedway meeting ever” was held at the West Maitland Showground in Australia in 1923. So, it’s possible that the style of racing at this Danish track was not speedway as we know it. However, according to Wikipedia, Morian Hansen stated riding in 1928 so presumably there were Danish riders before him.

http://speedwaylife.com/danish-tracks/history/

Edited by Split

Probably me personally. But i do find all this a bit disrespectful to a speedway rider and someone who lost their life serving their country. Just the same as i find the treatment of Morian Hansen, who has his own thread, shameful :rolleyes: 

2 hours ago, iris123 said:

Probably me personally. But i do find all this a bit disrespectful to a speedway rider and someone who lost their life serving their country. Just the same as i find the treatment of Morian Hansen, who has his own thread, shameful :rolleyes: 

I know hijacking threads is all part and parcel of the BSF, but I must admit, I can't say I'm totally okay with the turn this one has taken...

• Like 1