British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

First race you ever saw-any of the 4 riders still alive??

First race I ever saw was in 1964- Newport v. Long Eaton. The four riders were Alby Golden, Jon Erskine, Ken Adams and John Mills. Wasps 5-1 and Alby broke the track record. Only one is still with us  sad to say. Jon Erskine -who I guess is in his early eighties!! Any  other forumlanders recall their first race.

59 minutes ago, BOBBATH said:

First race I ever saw was in 1964- Newport v. Long Eaton. The four riders were Alby Golden, Jon Erskine, Ken Adams and John Mills. Wasps 5-1 and Alby broke the track record. Only one is still with us  sad to say. Jon Erskine -who I guess is in his early eighties!! Any  other forumlanders recall their first race.

And you posted this on October 23, 2019, in reply to Gustix's identical question! 

"13th June 1964, Southern League match . Newport 52- Long Eaton 25.
Heat 1 Alby Golden, Jon Erskine, Ken Adams, John Mills  Time 68.4 secs.  Alby broke the track record in this heat."

To answer your question, Jon was born on 9 February, 1942, so he's 82. Ken died in 1998, John in 2003 (he was only 60), and Alby in 2004..

As far as I know, my first match was Wimbledon v Southampton on August 13, 1962. Briggo won from Ronnie Moore, Cyril Brine and Dick Bradley. Briggo is still with us. Cyril died in 1988, Ronnie in 2018, and Dick in 2022. Strangely enough, from that meeting, Reg Luckhurst, Bjorn Knutson, and Bob Andrews are all still with us.

And here is your comment (on a different thread) from January 29, 2021.

"I reckon some of us posters are posting  less-maybe old age (say it ain't so). Here's one-we all recall our first meeting, how many of those riders are still with us?

Here's mine- Newport  13.6.1964 versus Long Eaton. Newport riders:- Alby Golden (RIP), Jon Erskine, Dick Bradley, Geoff Penniket, Peter Vandenberg (RIP), Vic White, Ray Harris (RIP). Thus 4 Wasp riders are still with us- the grand-daddy is Dick Bradley at 96 and the second oldest World finalist still with us -a fine gent!!

Re the visitors- Ken Adams (RIP), John Mills (RIP), Ray Wilson, Norman Storer, Ron Sharp (RIP), Howard Cole -then known as Kid Bodie, K.Vale (RIP)-thus 3 Archers are still with us."

Seems like Dick is the only one we've lost since then...

Even if a repeat - still more interesting than most of those in General Discussions!

I am in the same boat as Bobbath. First race was Cradley v Newport in September 1968. Graham Coombes (R) Chris Julian (B) Jon Erskine (W) RR for Jimmy Gooch, Cyril Francis (Y/B). So only Jon still with us.

I think all four of mine are (the oldest is 86)

Sorry chunky- I had totally forgotten my previous post- I have indeed become gustix!! Glad you enjoyed it anyway Salty . 

Just Martin Ashby...

April 6th 1974 - Happy 50th to me lol

Ashby, Louis, Leigh, Nygren

31st May 1978, Poole v Belle Vue

Malcolm Simmons, Alan Wilkinson, Danny Kennedy, Chris Turner. 

Just Chris Turner still with us.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, arnieg said:

I think all four of mine are (the oldest is 86)

That's impressive... Who are they?

Edited by chunky

2 hours ago, chunky said:

That's impressive... Who are they?

Laurie Simms, John Hammond, Mike Vernam, Dave Jessup

So, Monday, 5 October, 1970, at Tilehurst, for a Challenge Match.

Jessup won from Sims, Hammond fell, and Vernam packed up. Reading beat Eastbourne 45-33...

19 minutes ago, arnieg said:

Laurie Simms, John Hammond, Mike Vernam, Dave Jessup

So, Monday, 5 October, 1970, at Tilehurst for a Challenge Match.

Jessup won from Sims, Hammond fell, and Vernam packed up. Reading beat Eastbourne 45-33.

My first race, Yarmouth v Norwich 'B' 1st August 1961. Roy Trigg, Johnny Fitzpatrick, Clive Featherby, Pete Atkins. Think Roy Trigg is living in Australia, don't know about Pete A. Pretty sure JF and CF are no longer with us, apologies to them if I'm wrong.

1 hour ago, HertsRacer said:

My first race, Yarmouth v Norwich 'B' 1st August 1961. Roy Trigg, Johnny Fitzpatrick, Clive Featherby, Pete Atkins. Think Roy Trigg is living in Australia, don't know about Pete A. Pretty sure JF and CF are no longer with us, apologies to them if I'm wrong.

As far as I know, Peter is still alive.

My first race was on 11 May 1960. New Cross v. Norwich. Result: 1. Aub Lawson 2: Jimmy Gooch 3. Split Waterman 4. Harry Edwards. Neither any of the riders nor the teams still with us.

Out of the 16 riders in that match, I think only two are still with us today, Ove Fundin and Reg Luckhurst (nos 4 & 11resepectively in the Oldest Surviving World Finalists list).

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, norbold said:

Neither any of the riders nor the teams still with us.

Shut up, Norman!

My first one was Wimbledon v Southampton. Both dead...

Bob's first one was Newport v Long Eaton. Both dead...

Salty's first one was Cradley v Newport. Both dead...

HertsRacer's first one was Yarmouth v Norwich. Both dead...

Arnie's first one was Reading v Eastbourne. Both dead...

Sadly, I see a theme here...

Oh, and checking the riders from your match, pretty sure Tommy Sweetman is still with us.

Edited by chunky