British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
topaz325

Workington v Redcar 20/04/24 3pm BSN

1 minute ago, singy13 said:

You can't have a 13 plus average...............the maximum is 12 points...........and no one achieves that, some have come fairly close though.

Grachan is correct. You can have a converted average, and if the conversion rules contain no cap (as was the case in this example) then ... yes you can have an average over 12 - silly though it may seem.

3 minutes ago, arnieg said:

Grachan is correct. You can have a converted average, and if the conversion rules contain no cap (as was the case in this example) then ... yes you can have an average over 12 - silly though it may seem.

Well I've certainly never seen a plus 12 average, for any rider, in any speedway publication i.e. Speedway Star or matchday programmes..Also after scouring  the excellent British League book by Peter Oakes I don't see any rider with 12 or above.  I do of course stand to be corrected.

11 minutes ago, singy13 said:

Well I've certainly never seen a plus 12 average, for any rider, in any speedway publication i.e. Speedway Star or matchday programmes..Also after scouring  the excellent British League book by Peter Oakes I don't see any rider with 12 or above.  I do of course stand to be corrected.

Go to

https://www.speedwaygbarchive.co.uk/premiershipteamissues17

Download issue 1 and you'll see one.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, singy13 said:

Simon Cross had a converted average of over 12 when he signed for Middlesbrough.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mr Blobby said:

What’s entertaining about finishing last the majority of the time? 

She is certainty no worse than some of those who were at Armadale on Fri.Better than few.Its Workingtons decision who they want in the Team.

36 minutes ago, singy13 said:

You can't have a 13 plus average...............the maximum is 12 points...........and no one achieves that, some have come fairly close though.

Correct. Which is why he was never going to achieve it. 

Jason was given an average of about 13.2 for team building one year in a bid to force the top riders out of British Speedway. Thankfully it never worked.

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, singy13 said:

It wasn't his actual match average. It was the average he was given for team building at the start of the year following close-season assessments.

Good thing was, we were allowed a guest with an average of 14.08!

Swindon 2017 (thanks Arnie!):

image.png.9424352f8208aa9377802fc67d797b66.png

Edited by Grachan

16 minutes ago, arnieg said:

Go to

https://www.speedwaygbarchive.co.uk/premiershipteamissues17

Download issue 1 and you'll see one.

I see it but still don't understand it................maybe I'm not so well into the stats as some of you.  But 12 has always been my understanding i.e. 4 rides and four wins = 12 points = 12 average. Everything is therefore calculated via 4 rides....??

12 minutes ago, Grachan said:

It wasn't his actually match average.

There you go................

13 hours ago, Mr Blobby said:

What’s entertaining about finishing last the majority of the time? 

you lot should know that by now .

any way , ask the same question at the end of the season  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mr Blobby said:

The classic you have a go comment got to love it. Like I said early take away the fact she’s female, if she wasn’t and was male would you be saying the same things probably not. 

She is averaging 1 point a meeting and she’s came up against Redcar twice who with ourselves probably have the weakest reserves in the league. Other than 1 point against borke she’s only beat Ben trigger who’s not very good and her team mate.  

You’ve been brought in on a 4 point average and your averaging 1 your not doing your job or even close to doing it, take the fact she’s female out of the equation the stats aren’t great are they? 

Personally I think that Celina is an intelligent charismatic young lady who will quickly assess with help and support from the club were she needs to be with regards to her equipment and gating. She has been given a 4 point assessed average which doesn't particularly bother me. She will be given time as will Sam McGurk who needs to improve in similar areas then we will see where we are. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Grachan said:

I watched this on BSN. A couple of things made me pay to watch it. One was to see the Workington track - which looks excellent. The other was I was interested to watch Celina ride and see how she did.

It's so typical of speedway these days for people to demand changes immediately - I guess it's a product of the points limit to concentrate so much on figures - but I think it would be a major mistake to try and replace her and I'm sure Workington won't do that. Not in the short term, at least. I hope not, anyway.

Yes, she's saddled with a 4 point average, but they knew that when they signed her and knew that wouldn't be easy to achieve immediately, but you can see just by watching her that there is a good rider there. Sure, she needs to improve her starting and first turns, but apart from that she's a good as many other reserves in the league. If the more experienced riders in the side can help her with that I reckon there's a bit of a star in waiting right there.

Comments that she is "way off the pace" are simply not true. In one race she passed one of the Redcar reserves for a point. In another she snuk past the other reserve momentarily. Not exactly ground-breaking stuff, but not "way off the pace" either.

She's also a charismatic interviewee (her dropping of the F-bomb made me chuckle) and someone whose rides I looked forward to seeing and also the main reason that Workington are the Championship side that I - as someone without a team - am most interested in at the moment.

Obviously she needs to start scoring more at some stage, but I can honestly see that happening if they stick with her and support her. She doesn't come across as someone who will be phased in trying to do that.

It's not all about the average. Swindon took Jason Doyle on a 13 point plus average one year and he was always going to lose about 4 points on that and I think they won the league that year.

Right on the money this post.

17 minutes ago, singy13 said:

There you go................

I can't remember the exact logic of it, but they decided to put everyone's average up by about 40%.

For example, Nick Morris averaged 6.41 in 2016, but came in on 8.97 in 2017.

Doyle's real average in 2016 was 9.58, but they upped it to 13.41 over the winter. So he was always going to drop by around 4 points.

16 hours ago, ONTWOMINUTES said:

Let's see how yours is in a few years, if your still running that is !!! least at Berwick we've got covered seats, never hear any complaints about the track .

how many owners has Berwick speedway had from 1970 to the presant day ?

10 minutes ago, j2ohh said:

how many owners has Berwick speedway had from 1970 to the presant day ?

Irrelevant, we are running and no talk of that changing but in this current climate nothing is definite like other clubs know to their sad ends.