British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Lioness

Abandoned Meetings and Track Records

Quick question for those up to date with the rules etc.

If a track record is broken in a meeting that is subsequently abandoned with no score declared, does that track record still stand?

It just seems a bit bizarre as everything else about the meeting is expunged eg nothing counts towards rider averages.  It just seems bizarre that a track record set in that way would stand

2 minutes ago, Lioness said:

If a track record is broken in a meeting that is subsequently abandoned with no score declared, does that track record still stand?

It just seems a bit bizarre as everything else about the meeting is expunged eg nothing counts towards rider averages.  It just seems bizarre that a track record set in that way would stand

Would think so.IMO.It was an Official race.

Kevin Smart broke the Long Eaton track record in heat 1 of the match v Eastbourne on 27 June 1990.

The meeting was abandoned due to a waterlogged track after heat 4.

Kevin's time was never recognised in the official records or subsequent match programmes.

3 hours ago, Lioness said:

Are track records in the rule book?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Would think so.IMO.It was an Official race.

Thanks Fromafar.

I had looked at it differently.  There was no official result as the meeting was abandoned.  In football, if a guy scores a hat trick for Arsenal but the game gets abandoned after 60 minutes the three goals are expunged from his personal record.

Its just one of these curiosities that hit me lol

2 hours ago, Lioness said:

Thanks Fromafar.

I had looked at it differently.  There was no official result as the meeting was abandoned.  In football, if a guy scores a hat trick for Arsenal but the game gets abandoned after 60 minutes the three goals are expunged from his personal record.

Not really sure myself,but everything was in place to record time in Official Meeting.Dont know for certain if speedway has a  Official ruling on Track Records.We will leave it in “ the best interest of the sport category for now”.lol.

• Haha 1

I don't think they should stand. It could be the meeting gets abandoned because the track is unsuitable, but one rider absolutely revels in the conditions and breaks the track record. 

• Like 1

I’m not sure, but the programme for tonight’s Glasgow match might give us a clue, as the track record was broken last week (as the track length has changed). I believe the Speedway Star listed it as a new track record this week…

4 hours ago, Lioness said:

Thanks Fromafar.

Denis Law once scored six goals in an FA Cup match for Manchester City which was subsequently abandoned so none of them counted!

• Like 1

If a league match, for example, is abandoned without the result being declared:
- no team points are awarded regarding the league table
- no rides and points count in the riders' averages
- the fixture does not count in official 'records of achievement', so effectively the races completed become unofficial
- if a rider sets a new best time in an unofficial 'race', such as in a practice it does not count as an official record
..... so why would a track record time set in an abandoned meeting stand?

On the other hand:
- the riders will have been paid for the races they competed in
- at the time the races took place they were 'official' until subsequently deemed otherwise
- if a team drops out of the league the results are expunged from the records
- if a team drops out of the league the riders' scores no longer count in their averages
- expunged results are no longer official, although they were at the time they were achieved
- a track record set during a meeting subsequently removed from the official records still stands
...... so why wouldn't a track record time set in an abandoned meeting still stand.

In my opinion the record should stand even if the meeting is abandoned. It was an official race when it took place. Ivor Brown held the track record at Cradley Heath for nearly 6 years with a time of 68.4 seconds set against New Cross on 20th July 1963. Eric Boocock eventually set a new record of 67.0 seconds on 12th May 1969. In 1963 New Cross dropped out of the Provincial League in August and the results were expunged from the official records. The meeting at Cradley Heath was 'official' at the time it took place. Subsequently, Cradley Heath had the league points from the meeting taken away, Ivor Brown had the points scored taken away but he kept the track record.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Not really sure myself,but everything was in place to record time in Official Meeting.Dont know for certain if speedway has a  Official ruling on Track Records.We will leave it in “ the best interest of the sport category for now”.lol.

Lol Fromafar I can't help it - once a pedant, always a pedant.  I was also the kid whose favourite words were 'but why' lol

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Lioness said:

Lol Fromafar I can't help it - once a pedant, always a pedant.  I was also the kid whose favourite words were 'but why' lol

Sound like my 3 1/2 year old grandson.! ‘But why’.

• Haha 1

If a race is good enough to warrant a rider get paid for winning it, then it’s good enough for the winning time to count even after an early abandonment.

• Like 1

Slightly off topic, but saw a race at Buxton. The winner was way ahead of the other 3 riders. After the winner completed four laps, the red light went due to an incident further back.

It was announced that the winning time would have been a track record, but would not count as the race was subsequently stopped.