British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Beirao

Only Three Scorers

Don't know if this is unique but Glasgow only had three riders who scored points in their PL meeting at Newcastle in 1964. No one was injured and all riders completed the meeting which ran it's full course. Anyone remember anything to equal it?  Full details are in the final section of this page at

https://classicspeedwaymemories.webador.co.uk/june-2024/twas-60-years-ago-unusual-race-formula

29 minutes ago, Beirao said:

Don't know if this is unique but Glasgow only had three riders who scored points in their PL meeting at Newcastle in 1964. No one was injured and all riders completed the meeting which ran it's full course. Anyone remember anything to equal it?  Full details are in the final section of this page at

https://classicspeedwaymemories.webador.co.uk/june-2024/twas-60-years-ago-unusual-race-formula

Stats like that fascinate me! In fact, I think I even asked that question on here a few years ago? I'll have to do some digging...

Closest I've found so far was Glasgow (ironically) at Long Eaton in 1984, when three riders scored all but one point (1, and three ducks). Same for Coventry at Wimbledon in 1966, and Belle Vue against West Ham in 1967.

All Belle Vue's points against Cradley in 1968 were scored by three riders, but as they were operating R/R, only three riders failed to score.

On 6/11/2024 at 3:11 PM, chunky said:

Stats like that fascinate me! In fact, I think I even asked that question on here a few years ago? I'll have to do some digging...

A new section on unusual stats etc would be interesting.

1 hour ago, RS50 said:

I would LOVE that!

2 hours ago, RS50 said:

1 hour ago, chunky said:

I would LOVE that!

Is there a way of starting one?

I don't think we can actually start an actual section; we would have to ask Phil if he could set it up in the "Years Gone By" section. However, it would be easy just to start a stats thread, which obviously, knowing the weird stuff people post/ask, would remain active.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, chunky said:

I don't think we can actually start an actual section; we would have to ask Phil if he could set it up in the "Years Gone By" section. However, it would be easy just to start a stats thread, which obviously, knowing the weird stuff people post/ask, would remain active.

Go for it, Chunky. It's the sort of thing I would like as well.

15 hours ago, chunky said:

Call it stats and unusual facts?

On the subject of a low number of scorers, I seem to recall, many years ago, an away team failed to provide any scorers. The away team disagreed with the referee's decision that the track was rideable, refused to race, and the home team won every heat 5-0.

1 hour ago, RS50 said:

On the subject of a low number of scorers, I seem to recall, many years ago, an away team failed to provide any scorers. The away team disagreed with the referee's decision that the track was rideable, refused to race, and the home team won every heat 5-0.

Happened more than once...

4 hours ago, chunky said:

Happened more than once...

Without looking it up, it happened a couple of times at Peterborough in the 80s.

Only three Liverpool riders (Craven 11; Subritsky 7 Morton 3) score at Poole in a 51 -21 defeat in September 1960. Only 12 heats raced in the first PL season though seven riders in both sides. 

10 hours ago, Beirao said:

Without looking it up, it happened a couple of times at Peterborough in the 80s.

Think it happened at Eastbourne when King's Lynn refused to ride when the "Eagles" objected to a declared rider in the "Stars/Knights" line up?