British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
norbold

The autograph book

The story so far... On Saturday, for the first time in 37 years, I met up with the man who originally nicknamed me norbold back in 1965 (see General Discussions).

He is now the headmaster of a primary school in Hertfordshire. At a school jumble sale one of the items left over was a small autograph book. The organisers were going to throw it away but my creator, Andy, kept it. He showed it to me on Saturday. It was the autograph book of a Wembley Lions supporter in the early 1930s and contained, amongst others, the autographs of Tom Farndon, Vic Huxley, Sprouts Elder, Bluey Wilkinson, Lionel Van Praag, Dick Case, Gus Kuhn, Buster Frogley and Wally Kilmister. There was also a real photograph of a young Johnnie Hoskins stuck in on the back page together with his autograph.

Andy asked me if it was worth anything. I told him it was worth a fair bit in the right circles with those names in. As I was leaving at the end of an enjoyable afternoon, Andy gave me the book and said, "Here take it. It's no good to me." I told him again it was worth a bit of money and he said, "No, I don't want anything for it, I'm just glad to have found someone to whom it means something."

I'm glad I met up with my creator again 37 years on....

Edited by norbold

Sound interesting. I don't know Gus Kuhn and Buster Frogley, but they're fantastic names!

I used to collect Autographs in the Seventies when I was a little laddie. I'm sure I still have my books somewhere, but on the few occasions I've tried to located them I have failed. It wouldn't surprise me if my mum chucked them out at some point though, which would be a shame.

My two favourites were Tommy Jansson, who I managed to get at Swindon when he won the Golden Helmet only about a week or so before he was killed. I also got Ivan Maugers autograph, which was effectively an 'I' with a line, which he decided to do in the middle of a loop in John Davis' signature.

I hope I find them one day, but I'm not holding out much hope!

Gus Kuhn was captain of Stamford Bridge, the first Southern League champions (1929). Buster Frogley (Roger's brother) was Wembley's first captain in 1929.

Gus Kuhn was captain of Stamford Bridge, the first Southern League champions (1929). Buster Frogley (Roger's brother) was Wembley's first captain in 1929.

and didn't he have a motorcycle shop (BMW i think) at either Clapham or Stockwell??

seem to remember the Gus Kuhn shop there in the early - mid 80s

Yes he did have a motor cycle shop in South London.

more the Stockwell end.Shops still there but think its under another name now.Mauger was a very reluctant autograph giver.Was always good at Plough Lane as they had to come out to their cars and couldnt avoid us waiting kids,but Ivan was always hard to get.Think he rationed them to about 5 per meeting.But i`ve still got mine and a few from Tommy as well :DHave to add the craziest rider i ever got an autograph from was Bob Paulson from Sheffield.Dont know if he was always as mad as a hatter as i think i only saw him once ,but what a guy :D

Plough Lane was also good for getting riders who came over for Wembley etc.Got Mike Bast like that and a few others.Sumner McKnight also rode there once

Edited by iris123

I used to collect Autographs in the Seventies when I was a little laddie. I'm sure I still have my books somewhere, but on the few occasions I've tried to located them I have failed. It wouldn't surprise me if my mum chucked them out at some point though, which would be a shame.

My two favourites were Tommy Jansson, who I managed to get at Swindon when he won the Golden Helmet only about a week or so before he was killed. I also got Ivan Maugers autograph, which was effectively an 'I' with a line, which he decided to do in the middle of a loop in John Davis' signature.

I hope I find them one day, but I'm not holding out much hope!

A popular pastime then, as it still is I'd guess Grachan. I've managed to hold onto some of mine from the 70's, when I was but a wee snip of a lad.

Marek Cieslak/Bent Rasmussen/Markuu Helminen/.........goodness I've even got Vic Harding/Tony Featherstone who wins my vote for the rider who attempted to leave as little of the page unwritten on as possible/Stefan Salomonsson/Tony Boyle/Walter Grubmuller.........ah the memories......................

Edited by WATigerman

I think I had Vic Harding, although it's a long time since I saw them. Definitely had Kevin Holden. Neatest autograph was deinitely Kevin Young of Oxford. Twice I got it, and both times had a perfectly written 'Best wishes Kevin Young'.

God, I'd love to find those books one day!

Neatest autograph was deinitely Kevin Young of Oxford

Might have to take issue with you here Grachan - David Bargh gets my vote on this one.............................. :D

Also Tommy died about a month after winning the Golden Helmet against Crashby.He beat DJ the next month

Edited by iris123

Great story Norbold. I do hope a great find like that finds a good home, be it with yourself or some other old-time fan who will cherish it. It does make me think that it is a shame there is no British Speedway Museum. What a fine exhibit that would be.

Talking of autographs, when I was between 9 and 11 I would take my Mike Patrick Speedway books to every meeting and fill them with the featured riders signatures. Looking back at them now, I have some crackers - PC, Kenny Carter, Shawn & Kelly Moran, Bobby Schwartz, Phil Crump, Sam Ermolenko, Lance King, Wiggy and erm Sean Willmott. :blink:

Well done Norman a nice touch. Did you receive CD with New Cross photos I sent you last week? (All your gifts seem all to be coming at once :o )

Thats right Steve, Gus Kuhn ran a dealership at the Stockwell-Clapham area but for many years after Gus retired it was run by his son in law; Vincent Davey. When he retired it was sold off to a company called Wheels International that were really Harley dealers that tried BMW's but gave them up and went back to Harleys. Not sure what's happening there now though.

Another old rider that run a bike shop in London was Joe Francis for many years.

There was another ex-speedway rider that ran a shop in South London but with alzheimers kicking in, I just cant remember it for the minute. Anyone know? I'll know it straight away if you do.

Edited by Dick Darstadly

Well done Norman a nice touch. Did you receive CD with New Cross photos I sent you last week? (All your gifts seem all to be coming at once :o )

Yes thanks Jim. Arrived yesterday. Haven't had a chance to have a look at it yet, but when I'm retired.....

didn't Alf Hagon also have a shop...

there was someone else my dad used to tell me had a shop...another ex-rider, might be the one you're trying to think of Jim, so i'll have a word with my dad later

By the way of style I would of said Troy Pratt but then again hmmmmmmm

Brian Foote ex-rider had a motorcycle shop in Canterbury years ago