British Speedway Forum
Mauger_Magic

Top Riders In The 1960's

Just thinking of the special riders I saw at Brough Park....Tony Lewis (Poole), Harry Bastable (Cradley Heath). Norman Hunter (Long Eaton), George Hunter (Edinburgh), Charlie Monk (GLasgow), Len Silver (Exeter), Eric Boocock (Middlesbrough), Clive Featherby (Sheffield), Barry Briggs (Swindon), Peter Craven (Belle Vue), Pete Jarman (Wolves), Colin Pratt (Hackney), .......and the Russians...Igor Plechanov, Boris Samoradov, Gabby Kurilenko and Viktor Trofimov...Aaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!....Oh and IVAN MAUGER!!! Edited by Mauger_Magic

Just thinking of the special riders I saw at Brough Park....Tony Lewis (Poole), Harry Bastable (Cradley Heath). Norman Hunter (Long Eaton), George Hunter (Edinburgh), Charlie Monk (GLasgow), Len Silver (Exeter), Eric Boocock (Middlesbrough), Clive Featherby (Sheffield), Barry Briggs (Swindon), Peter Craven (Belle Vue), Pete Jarman (Wolves), Colin Pratt (Hackney), .......and the Russians...Igor Plechanov, Boris Samoradov, Gabby Kurilenko and Viktor Trofimov...Aaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!....Oh and IVAN MAUGER!!!

Charlie Monk was my very first Speedway hero . Despite his stoney expression , i used to wear a Charlie rosette when i was a kid . :lol:

Charlie might not have been an all-smiling character , but boy could he ride a speedway bike . The fact that he never appeared in a World Final astonishes me to this day .

Oh and IVAN MAUGER!!![/b]

Indeed....

Saw all those riders except Peter Craven and Len Silver-what memories.All welcome guests at Somerton Park-never got to Brough but saw the wonderful Diamonds team of 64 and 65. By the way in 64 I think Newcastle had the largest number of riders in PLRC Final-Ivan, Bill Andrew,Ken Sharples and Pete Kelly.

Charlie Monk was my very first Speedway hero . Despite his stoney expression , i used to wear a Charlie rosette when i was a kid . :lol:

Charlie might not have been an all-smiling character , but boy could he ride a speedway bike . The fact that he never appeared in a World Final astonishes me to this day .

I had an Olle Nygren rosette(in fact i still have it...).Great time the 60s were what with the Lisborn Lions as well B):lol::approve: Bet it wasn't only Charlie who was stoney faced at the time in Glasgow :wink:

Just thinking of the special riders I saw at Brough Park....Tony Lewis (Poole), Harry Bastable (Cradley Heath). Norman Hunter (Long Eaton), George Hunter (Edinburgh), Charlie Monk (GLasgow), Len Silver (Exeter), Eric Boocock (Middlesbrough), Clive Featherby (Sheffield), Barry Briggs (Swindon), Peter Craven (Belle Vue), Pete Jarman (Wolves), Colin Pratt (Hackney), .......and the Russians...Igor Plechanov, Boris Samoradov, Gabby Kurilenko and Viktor Trofimov...Aaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!....Oh and IVAN MAUGER!!!

Like you, MM, I was privileged to see all of these riders. The sisties were indeed a great time to be a speedway fan.

Just one point: you seem to have joined two Russian riders together! You're speaking about Gabby Kadirov and Gennady Kurilenko. (Kadirov was the one with the "Beatle" hairstyle).

No doubt you'll also remember that Newcastle favourite Mike Watkin, known as the Mudlark because of his immense scoring on very wet tracks. Then there was Ivor Brown, whom we all detested.

I had four favourites back in the sixties. Jim Airey and Gordon Guasco who both rode for Sunderland 'Saints' before they were POACHED by Wolverhampton along with Colin McKee. My other favourite was Ivan Mauger. In all he rode nineteen Races at the Bolden Stadium (Sunderland) - and - won the lot. Another favourite was Barry Briggs.

Just to be fair Newcastle also POACHED Ken Sharples from Sunderland too.

My contention to this day is that Sunderland were closed after eight Matches in order that Newcastle - and more particularly - Wolverhampton could be strengthened by the acquisition of our (Sunderland's) Riders. :angry::angry:

You've rekindled some memories there M.M.

Those were very definitely THE DAYS!!!

Edited by ianmartin

All great riders ,saw them all, what about Guy Allott(sheffield) Eric Boothroyd (middlesborough) Jack Scott (plymouth) all big stars in the old PL. Sverre Harrfeldt was something special IMO

All great riders ,saw them all, what about Guy Allott(sheffield) Eric Boothroyd (middlesborough) Jack Scott (plymouth) all big stars in the old PL. Sverre Harrfeldt was something special IMO

Hear Hear

Also what about Bjorn Knutsson who sadly stayed in Sweden in 1965

Hear Hear

Also what about Bjorn Knutsson who sadly stayed in Sweden in 1965

Just for you we will ignore the world championship that Bjorn Knutson won at Wembley in 1965.

Just for you we will ignore the world championship that Bjorn Knutson won at Wembley in 1965.

Picky Picky! :wink:

Should I clarify that and say league racing in England. But then I doubt if he returned in 65, we would have seen as much of Sverre at Custom House :lol:

Edited by Custom House Kid

Fundin

Briggo

Mauger

Olsen

Knutsson

Craven

Moore

How

Plechanov

Harrfeldt

Jansson

Harryson

Sjosten

Nordin

Nygren

Persson

Woryna

Jancarz

Ashby

Broady

Kilby

McKinlay

McMillan

The Boococks

Wilson

Betts

Squibbo

Brett

Monk

Hunters

Hedge

Luckhurst

Gooch

Pander

Airey

Pratt

etc.,

a great decade for Speedway

Edited by keef

I had four favourites back in the sixties. Jim Airey and Gordon Guasco who both rode for Sunderland 'Saints' before they were POACHED by Wolverhampton along with Colin McKee. My other favourite was Ivan Mauger. In all he rode nineteen Races at the Bolden Stadium (Sunderland) - and - won the lot. Another favourite was Barry Briggs.

Just to be fair Newcastle also POACHED Ken Sharples from Sunderland too.

My contention to this day is that Sunderland were closed after eight Matches in order that Newcastle - and more particularly - Wolverhampton could be strengthened by the acquisition of our (Sunderland's) Riders. :angry::angry:

You've rekindled some memories there M.M.

Those were very definitely THE DAYS!!!

Good grief ianmartin!

I was a Wolves fan then and couldn't understand why Mike Parker transferred riders around like that. He ran Newcastle, Sunderland and Wolves if I remember correctly. Can someone give me a potted history of what happened to him, and Bill Bridget etc?

Ahhh..........those were the days. Guasco, sadly missed, Graham Warren, Tommy Sweetman (did anyone else ride wearing glasses?), Ivor Brown (we hated him too of course), Jimmy Squibb (who was still riding for Canterbury at 54!!) and others who didn't quite make it to greatness but gave us fabulous entertainment, Dave Hemus, Fred Priest (2nd halfer who once managed to stay on for all four laps, a bit like a half speed early Ben Barker), Kid Bodie,..........

My big favourites in the 60's were:-

My boyhood hero Reidar Eide - the king of Coatbridge

Bernie Persson

Sjoren Sjosten - fantastic riding style

Charlie Monk - he rode for the auld enemy, but he was class

little boy blue- Nigel Boocock

Martin Ashby - he was great at Coatbridge

Olle Nygren

Ole Olsen

Ivan Mauger

Oyvind Berg

George Hunter

Ray Wilson

John Boulger

Bertola Harkins

Jimmy McMillan

I only wish I still had my little red autograph book with all their signatures and pictures in :lol:

Apart from those names - I liked your signature tribute to Jack Winstanley who I featured in VSM some years ago. A really great and loveable personality.

Edited by speedyguy