British Speedway Forum
REBELS77

Once Your Team Has Closed Down

I was a White City fan, really loved supporting them 76-78 the great league winning team of 77

Gordon Kennett Steve Weatherley Marek Cieslak still heros to me,but once it shut down followed

Eastbourne and enjoyed they 2 titles in 86 and 87,But once you team has gone it never feels the same

went to Wimbledon and Hackney but felt like I was just watching as I love the sport, has anybody supported another team once your track has shut down and really meant it or deep down you knew that as for me you only loved that first team you supported.....

• Like 1

I was a White City fan, really loved supporting them 76-78 the great league winning team of 77

Gordon Kennett Steve Weatherley Marek Cieslak still heros to me,but once it shut down followed

Eastbourne and enjoyed they 2 titles in 86 and 87,But once you team has gone it never feels the same

went to Wimbledon and Hackney but felt like I was just watching as I love the sport, has anybody supported another team once your track has shut down and really meant it or deep down you knew that as for me you only loved that first team you supported.....

I didn't go to another meeting after Rye closed in 1993 untill I discovered they'd reopened and caught the last few meetings of 2000.

Edited by Shadders

Yes, I agree. As you can see by my avatar New Cross is my first love.

I did go on to support West Ham and now Ipswich, but I know exactly what you mean.

Lost my Hawks and Kestrels. Wandered aimlessly since :neutral:

• Like 1

My Dukes have been gone now for over 10 years now and my Saturday nights still seem empty, I've tried to follow Sheffield as they are now my local team and also Redcar cos of Havvy but still feel like a speedway fan nomad :-(

• Like 1

I am Hull Vikings through and through, always have been and always will be. I watch at other tracks whenever I can mostly Scunny as it's nearest and in addition to the time factor, I can be there in 45mins, it's a very pleasant, friendly place to watch speedway. I'm pleased for the folk of Scunny as pre-2005 their speedway history isn't the greatest but I don't support any other team though which is interesting in one sense as it does grant me a more 'big picture' viewpoint. But I can catagorically state that it matters a heck of a lot more when it's your own team. I know people in Hull who can't bear to watch the sport unless (until!) the Vikings return, but I'm a (certified) speedway nut and can't just let the sport drift away without a fix now and again

What about Newport-at Somerton Park-I still miss 'em!!

• Like 1

i've been a wimbledon fan all my life and i still go to speedway twice a week. i do have a slight attachment to lakeside only because it's a track where a lot of us london fans gather most fridays and talk about days gone by. :cry:

Edited by cityrebel

After Hackney closed in '91 I only attended occasional speedway meetings. In 2005 when I went to Rye House for the VHM meeting and have been supporting the Rockets home and away since then.

I still can't change my avatar though!

Edited by Brian L

I was a Gunners fan but now go to Stoke nice track great fans but it's just not Elle/Port and it's a hike each week.

• Like 1

It is possible to completely change support to another team once your own track closes down, even in my case to the deadly rivals of the Leicester Lions. I'm now so committed to the Coventry Bees that I'm not even that bothered about Leicester re-opening....if it happens.

Perhaps I should get help. :lol:

But I can catagorically state that it matters a heck of a lot more when it's your own team. I know people in Hull who can't bear to watch the sport unless (until!) the Vikings return, but I'm a (certified) speedway nut and can't just let the sport drift away without a fix now and again

It is possible to completely change support to another team once your own track closes down, even in my case to the deadly rivals of the Leicester Lions. I'm now so committed to the Coventry Bees that I'm not even that bothered about Leicester re-opening....if it happens.

I moved away from my team (Wimbledon) when I changed jobs and went to Yorkshire. I started off at Hyde Road, Belle Vue and enjoyed it very much there but Martin's right: it isn't the same as watching your own team. I also agree with him that I'd miss the sport too much to abandon it entirely if the Fen Tigers closed and I'd take Redcar, Scunthorpe & Newcastle in turn.

Depressing thread , but i suppose it could happen to any of us at any time . We've lived a charmed life in Glasgow as we are now operating out of our 7th home in my lifetime ( and i'm not counting the brief tenancy in Workington in 1987 ) . Probably the most nomadic team in British Speedway history , but we're still there and long may that continue .

• Like 1

I agree Gemini & the clue is in my username!!!

Started watching Halifax Dukes when my Ma took me in 1977 aged 4 & followed em to Bradford (seen as tho i live there!!!) until their sad demise in 1997. Now a huge Aces fan despite hating them when they used 2 come 2 Odsal & also the fact they're from wrong side of the Pennines!!!

All started in 93 at World Final in Pocking where we met a couple of great guys from BV that were on our trip. Used 2 stand with each other from then on at our stadiums when our 2 teams met & once i'd got over the closure of my beloved Dukes in 97 i started going to the odd meeting at Kirky Lane from about 2000 onwards.

Through my mate i got to know all the lads/lasses he stood with & now class them all as some of my best friends & we go to Cardiff every yr 2gether & also at least 1 other GP. About 13 of us going 2 Gothenburg this yr & i've got a season ticket this season so fair 2 say i'm now an Ace for life.

No chance of getting Speedway back in Halifax or Bradford & even if it came back, i'd still go 2 BV as i'd miss my mates 2 much!! Plus, we should have a spanking new track & stadium in the not 2 distant future so all looking great in my eyes!! Mind u, i still go 2 Odsal 2 watch the rugby & just back from there 2nite & it still saddens me that such a great track & stadium has been seemingly lost forever to the sport. Great great tragedy as 13 yrs have passed & the stadium hasnt even been touched!!! Hope the Aces arent waiting as long for the Hockey stadium to be revamped!!!!!

Do like going 2 Sheffield as well altho 2 meetings every week is tough financially but its only 40 mins away, same as BV, & a cracking stadium & track & also has the added bonus that its in Yorkshire!!!!!!

Get a lot of stick from em all but all part of the fun. Got lads from Ellesmere Port in our group as well & must say i enjoy my Speedway more than ever now.

Long live the Aces!!!! :lol:

Edited by Bradford Ace
  • Like 1