British Speedway Forum
cityrebel

Would Crowds Increase If Speedway Was Not On Television

Assuming around 100,000 people watch the GPs on Sky and about 40,000 people attend a meeting in any given week, that leaves 60,000 "potential" customers who could be tapped-up by British clubs to actually attend a meeting, if the GPs are not on Sky.

How do you know that those people would visit a track, could visit a track and would continue to do so when they see the state of most stadiums and the lack of spectators? Then there are the "let's just see what this is" viewers.

How do you know that those people would visit a track, could visit a track and would continue to do so when they see the state of most stadiums and the lack of spectators? Then there are the "let's just see what this is" viewers.

Well, that's why I said "potential" customers. I do find it surprising though that British speedway doesn't try to do more to convert the armchair fans into paying customers.

Domestic speedway is in a decline situation, i would like to think this will turn around, but i cant see that happening. The world has changed and not many kids have speedway on their radar, they would rather play with their gadgets and game stations. Presentation is so dreadful at some tracks, the meeting can become boring because of it. Why does it take over two hours to run 15 heats, its just not good enough and must be addressed.

• Like 3

They certainlty would increase. Every single TV live match if not televised would have probably 1000 more people there. So 20 non TV matches, during a season, that would be 20,000 more people going. I used to go to all my teams home matches except when they were on TV live, and then I did not go.

Belle Vue should double the amount of people going there in 2014

Speedway has always been most successful when there has been no live speedway on Television.

How do you figure that out ? you really think that if Eastboure were not on tele they would some how get a 1000 extra fans in even thou they hardly get over a 1000 at a normal league match ?

As for your comment about speedway being successful where there has been no live speedway on tv, surely the only time that has happened is when sky were never showing it so intill it's not on tv again you can't really judge .

Some really good points made on this topic and I agree with a lot of them.

But can i just say I was talking too a friend who has been heavily involved

in speedway for 40+ years and he also had some good points.

Many clubs cannot afford what some of the riders want and with out sky money

and some clubs losing sponsers we could end up with an amateur sport in a couple

of seasons.We already have many DUs and riders with jobs outside of speedway

riding in the EL.

But with no speedway on tv and very little in the press how do you bring in the

new younger fans? Only so many family and friends we can get too go.

I dont know the answer really wish i did

Things are only going to get worse regarding costs with the FIM's decision to allow the use of titanium throughout a speedway engine. Riders costs will rise to stay competitive, they will want more money, admission prices will rise, fans will stay at home, it's already too expensive for what you get.

• Like 1

Hammer57

"But with no speedway on tv and very little in the press how do you bring in the

new younger fans? Only so many family and friends we can get too go."

PROMOTION! The owners, bosses, managers must promote the sport.

If you cant afford tv adverts, radio adverts, news adverts etc etc They must do what other businesses do (Double glazing, pizza shops, curry houses, village shops)

They knock on doors, attend local shows, post fliers promo leaflets, offer prizes freebies, mailshots, visit schools, local business, shopping centres!

If people want their business to succeed nowadays they MUST get off of their a*** and work at it promoting it! If they do not the business dies.

M

• Like 1

Did crowds improve in the late 80's when the demise of World of Sport condemned speedway to the mainstream television bargain bucket? I seem to recall that it was seen as an issue of critical importance that the sport returned to our screens as soon as possible. The sport needed the exposure or it would slip from the public consciousness seemed to be the standard they lined up behind.

That in itself was a noble quest supported by everyone. This time around the starting gate has shifted however. The money involved now assumes the position of importance, jostling the public eye clause down the pecking order a touch.

So just how vital is Sky's involvement? Without raking around too much, I found a quote that one speedway deal cost Sky £3m over 5 years. That equates to 200,000 adults at £15 a time having to come through the turnstiles just to return to the position speedway finds itself in financially today, which even by the longest chalk could not be described as 'healthy'.

Let's break that down further: each track operating in Britain will have to increase it's gate by circa. 1400 per season. Over a 20 meeting season that's 70 folk per meeting. Perhaps foolishly I am assuming the Sky money filters down evenly through all 3 leagues but for the purpose of this post I'll play the fool. So, Sky are paying for the loss of 70 spectators per track per meeting, or give or take a nicker £1000 per meeting. A tidy sum I'm sure you'll agree.

Again without going too far into figures, if you take the money as going almost entirely to Elite League teams, losing that cash could equate to £4000 (260+ paying adults) a meeting over a 15 home meeting league season. The tidy sum now has the potential to be a fatal blow and I have serious reservations about clubs meeting those levels of shortfall.

• Like 1

Did crowds improve in the late 80's when the demise of World of Sport condemned speedway to the mainstream television bargain bucket? I seem to recall that it was seen as an issue of critical importance that the sport returned to our screens as soon as possible. The sport needed the exposure or it would slip from the public consciousness seemed to be the standard they lined up behind.

That in itself was a noble quest supported by everyone. This time around the starting gate has shifted however. The money involved now assumes the position of importance, jostling the public eye clause down the pecking order a touch.

So just how vital is Sky's involvement? Without raking around too much, I found a quote that one speedway deal cost Sky £3m over 5 years. That equates to 200,000 adults at £15 a time having to come through the turnstiles just to return to the position speedway finds itself in financially today, which even by the longest chalk could not be described as 'healthy'.

Let's break that down further: each track operating in Britain will have to increase it's gate by circa. 1400 per season. Over a 20 meeting season that's 70 folk per meeting. Perhaps foolishly I am assuming the Sky money filters down evenly through all 3 leagues but for the purpose of this post I'll play the fool. So, Sky are paying for the loss of 70 spectators per track per meeting, or give or take a nicker £1000 per meeting. A tidy sum I'm sure you'll agree.

Again without going too far into figures, if you take the money as going almost entirely to Elite League teams, losing that cash could equate to £4000 (260+ paying adults) a meeting over a 15 home meeting league season. The tidy sum now has the potential to be a fatal blow and I have serious reservations about clubs meeting those levels of shortfall.

As I understand it the SKY money stays in the Elite League with a little sweetener every now and again for the Premier League when one of their Meetings are shown.

Many clubs cannot afford what some of the riders want

My business can't afford what my staff want, neither can any other business in the land. Fortunately most business's pay a rate commensurate with the employees value to the company, rather than what the employee wants. Speedway seems to operate on a tail wagging the dog basis were riders dictate payscales

Edited by oldace
  • Like 4

Hammer57

"But with no speedway on tv and very little in the press how do you bring in the

If you cant afford tv adverts, radio adverts, news adverts etc etc They must do what other businesses do (Double glazing, pizza shops, curry houses, village shops)

They knock on doors, attend local shows, post fliers promo leaflets, offer prizes freebies, mailshots, visit schools, local business, shopping centres!

If people want their business to succeed nowadays they MUST get off of their a*** and work at it promoting it! If they do not the business dies.

M

All very good 'old school' methods of promotion, and still have some value. What should also be utilised are the best of social media promotions if they want to reach a younger audience. Properly managed Twitter, facebook etc campaigns; audio (if not video) podcasts. promotional streaming of races. Shall I go on?

as previously posted, percentage wise there would be small increase due to fans who normally stay at home for sky attending, not sure if the increase would be enough to keep all EL teams viable should the Sky contract not be renewed.

even with Sky some teams struggle to fiinance a 14 league match season, and this is why not all teams meet home and away twice.

Hammer57

M

Do you honesty think that promotions don't do these things already. You may not know about them, but as someone who does them, I can assure you most tracks do it.

My business can't afford what my staff want, neither can any other business in the land. Fortunately most business's pay a rate commensurate with the employees value to the company, rather than what the employee wants. Speedway seems to operate on a tail wagging the dog basis were riders dictate payscales

agree, but this is not unique to speedway. football is the same, perhaps this is common to most sports?

I agree that has been the practice in the past, but that has now changed. In the past I have known riders who assess what they need to maintain their standards, and that is the only deal they will do. When asked, I have had the reply that they didn't know whether they were expensive or cheap in relation to their teammates, but that is just bluffing as most riders know most of others deals.