British Speedway Forum
colinc1968

Underrated Ipswich Riders From The Past

Who do you think were the underrated ipswich riders from the past for me it has to be kevin jolly and kevin teager to very good riders who i watched many times race and i also had the pleasure of knowing kevin teager on a personal level

Personally I thought Tony Davey was underrated at the time. I though he was a terrific Rider.

• Like 2

Think i am right in saying Kevin Teager has moved to germany and is still riding on grass or longtrack

Didn't know that... Nice guy, Kevin, and his mechanic, Steve.

I always felt that Mike Lanham never received full credit for his efforts, probably because he was in such a solid team.

Steve

Yes Kevin is still riding in Germany and by all accounts he is doing very well

Jermery Doncaster was another good rider for Ipswich

Guys like Mike Lanham, Ted Howego and Nigel Flatman were far better riders than they've been given credit for. Its just they were in such a good team at the time that they quite often went under the radar somewhat!

Kevin Teager was a good 2nd Division rider who was loyal to the Witches but was never quite good enough to warrant a regular place in the team. The fact he dropped down into 3rd division racing when in his late 30's/early 40's and was a good heatleader shows how good he was. Hes still riding now and doing well in veteran events which is another example of his very good riding abilities.

Shrimp Davey could have pushed for a world title win but for the bad injuries and maybe not wanting it as much as he could have done which was largely due to these horrific injuries!

Kevin Teager was a good 2nd Division rider who was loyal to the Witches but was never quite good enough to warrant a regular place in the team. The fact he dropped down into 3rd division racing when in his late 30's/early 40's and was a good heatleader shows how good he was. Hes still riding now and doing well in veteran events which is another example of his very good riding abilities.

I last saw Kevin Teager at Wimbledon - not in his speedway days there - but racing a Stock Rod to winning effect in non-contact class racing. That must have been at least four years ago. I don't think he drives any more?

Always remember watching Ben Howe as a youngster mascot and he was sensational. Moved into the team and was brilliant initially but career dipped alarmingly never fulfilled his potential to me.

Riders i liked to watch and in some cases under rated

Dean Standing

Craig Hyde

Sam Tesar (not Vladimar Kinder who came with him)

Also when i was young i used to watch the juniors and hoped they would go on to something riders like Robbie Fuller, Lawrie Bloomfield and latterly Darrren Fitch and Emerson Fairweather.Any ideas on what happened to those guys?

Always remember watching Ben Howe as a youngster mascot and he was sensational. Moved into the team and was brilliant initially but career dipped alarmingly never fulfilled his potential to me.

Riders i liked to watch and in some cases under rated

Dean Standing

Craig Hyde

Sam Tesar (not Vladimar Kinder who came with him)

Also when i was young i used to watch the juniors and hoped they would go on to something riders like Robbie Fuller, Lawrie Bloomfield and latterly Darrren Fitch and Emerson Fairweather.Any ideas on what happened to those guys?

I think Emerson Fairweather switched to small oval car racing - not sure either if it was contact or non-contact raing.

I also agree Mike Lanham was somewhat over-shadowed.

I remember Tim Hunt's early days and he looked very promising.

I'd forgot about Nigel flatman and Mick lanham !!!!