British Speedway Forum

Sky have spent their money on the golden goose of PL football with a bit of cricket rugby league and champions league thrown in for good measure TBH i can see customers leaving in their droves there is only so much repetive analysis anyone can bear.

TBH i think the writing was on the wall well aside from the PL deal. I remember posting in 2011 that the writing was on the wall for speedway when in addition to the huge amounts they spent on a F1 channel they also signed up for every Golf tournament one could imagine. I think that was to give them a wall to wall filler as undoubtedly they would have got a discounted price for purchasing so much Golf. Which leaves us with blanket coverage of the same old, same old ball sports and no money for anything else.

Edited by manchesterpaul
  • Like 1

Whether Sky Sports are involved or not some significant changes to the sport need to be made. Will be interesting to see if the Promoters stick there head in the sand again (or pint) come the AGM ...

I bet the promoters will think Oh yeah we have a british world champion which means the crowds will come flooding back and they will stick with the same for next season.

SOMEONE, who wishes to remain anonymous as far as this concerned, has worked out that to replace the Sky money paid to each EL club this year - the bulk payments plus fees for televised meetings - each track will require an additional 341 paying customers in 2014 for every league match they stage.

Yet there are some promoters who claim that without speedway on TV these people will flocking back through the turnstiles.

SOMEONE, who wishes to remain anonymous as far as this concerned, has worked out that to replace the Sky money paid to each EL club this year - the bulk payments plus fees for televised meetings - each track will require an additional 341 paying customers in 2014 for every league match they stage.

Yet there are some promoters who claim that without speedway on TV these people will flocking back through the turnstiles.

Which on my calc`s is in the region of 85-90K per team.

Which on my calc`s is in the region of 85-90K per team.

MAYBE a little more if tracks acquired any sponsorship on the back of TV coverage...

"We're doomed ahh tell thee"....

"We're dooooooomed"!!!!

That just about sums up Speedway Promoters very neatly.

"We only need a few hundred more people through the gate and we will be just as well off!"

Easy, peasy.

It's a bit like the poor folk who borrow money from Wonga.com and the like.

They calculate just how 'cheap' it will be if you work out the repayments down to a weekly amount.

"Sure I can afford £50 a week"

The fact that over the year they will have paid £2500 plus and STILL owe most of the capital sum just goes unnoticed.

If you break it down into small enough chunks the poor folk who are desperate will convince themselves it is a good deal.

What a way to run a sport in the twenty-first century.

Edited by Grand Central

Whilst I agree with most of your Post - I would argue that there may be some increase in Attendances. Perhaps some of those, to whom televised Speedway has become a way of life, will return to a Track near them to watch their favourite Sport.

Perhaps I am wrong - I sincerely hope not.

Whether they return in enough numbers to cover the amount of money lost by losing the Television money - I don't know.

We must wait and see.

Edited by The White Knight

Whilst I agree with most of your Post - I would argue that there may be some increase in Attendances. Perhaps some of those, to whom televised Speedway has become a way of life, will return to a Track near them to watch their favourite Sport.

Perhaps I am wrong - I sincerely hope not.

Whether they return in enough numbers to cover the amount of money lost by losing the Television money - I don't know.

We must wait and see.

Unfortunately Whitey I think the armchair Speedway fans will just watch something else instead....Hope I'm wrong but I doubt it.

Fact is crowds are low because people dont want to watch long drawn out crap meetings in S**T hole stadiums..I use the term stadium lightly.

Edited by Marcelle

I think the EL needs to expand to keep Sky on board. Can see a couple of teams being tempted if they can get the right sponsorship. Perhaps then a new albeit reduced deal could be on the table.

People should remember a few things when hoping Sky come back to the table:

1)You have an Elite league that does not have the elite riders in the sport

2) You have a Premier league that is not the top level of the sport.

3) You have a fixture list where you take on some clubs more times than others.

4) All of a sudden you can have a situation where in a race you score a different number of points, (a bit like a goal couting double just because you are losing heavily)

5) You have random 'guests' who although they ride for other teams, they suddenly show up and ride for you (a bit like Stephen Gerrard suddenly playing a match for Man U). Then they go back to their real team.

6) The people making the rules are the same people running the clubs. (A bit like Jose Mourinho, Arsen Wenger and David Moyes making up the rules, and deciding what happens to each others clubs)

Do people honestly think Sky are interested in paying money to cover this shambles??

You just squirm when thinking what people would make of the Belle Vue Poole farce, the use of guests, teams calling off a match earlier in the season just because they wanted to, or multiple cases where the tracks are so poor there is simply no overtaking.

I took someone in my annual match this summer and there was not a single ocassion where a rider overtook. The only good thing that night was the smell.

Anyway, you probably get the drift

Yeh, we get the drift. You go once a year, and have the gaul to moan..

Having Sky coverage made me want to come back .

I realised I needed to smell the fumes again!

How can you return to a sport when you are not actually aware it is still going?

Yeh, we get the drift. You go once a year, and have the gaul to moan..

Maybe you should be asking why i only go once a year perhaps?

Maybe you should be asking why i only go once a year perhaps?

Not really, rather concentrate on someone who might come back.

• Like 1