British Speedway Forum

Really don't understand the negativity towads Poole's succesful business model. Think jealousy is creeping in, I'm very jealous of their success. Sure we would all feel great if it were our clubs status. It's up to the others to up their game not for to Poole dumb down.

For the predicted response. Yes within the rules ;o)

• Like 1

so Davey not now having employment - does this mean his visa is revoked and sent back to his native land - or do us tax paying British citizens have to fund his existance ?

so Davey not now having employment - does this mean his visa is revoked and sent back to his native land - or do us tax paying British citizens have to fund his existance ?

He did do one of those British citizen tests, so think he's okay :)

Really don't understand the negativity towads Poole's succesful business model. Think jealousy is creeping in, I'm very jealous of their success. Sure we would all feel great if it were our clubs status. It's up to the others to up their game not for to Poole dumb down.

For the predicted response. Yes within the rules ;o)

You need to see the bigger picture and I don't think it's jealousy. Poole are a successful club - of that there is no doubt. However, crowds are going down all over the country and the "I'm alright Jack" attitude will only work as long as there are still clubs in existence to compete against. There is a question mark over Coventry, Lakeside seem to have resolved whatever issues they had over the winter and Swindon need to get the new stadium built before people move into the houses in the pits. The trouble is crowds have gone down significantly everywhere (except Poole and BV), so if any clubs fold, who are Poole going to race against? The BSPA need to come up with a plan (better than the last one which diluted the league year on year and drove the crowds away) that will re-energise the sport and they have shown that they do not have the skills to do it - so unless they solve this speedway will continue to die on its @rse and Poole fans will still be saying "Aren't we the greatest" when in fact all they are is the best of a bad lot!

You are a caring soul - aren't you! :rolleyes:

• Like 2

I do hope thats a straight post, because the lads had a very nasty experience..

Remember he nearly lost his life at Newcastle when a bike part pierced his inner groin(femoral artery). and he nearly bled to death.

Its rather boring that every third or fourth post you jump on it. Clearly you have little better to do with you time..Added to your beloved Ippo V Somerset thread yet. no i thought not

You really, really don't understand irony do you? :lol:

You need to see the bigger picture and I don't think it's jealousy. Poole are a successful club - of that there is no doubt. However, crowds are going down all over the country and the "I'm alright Jack" attitude will only work as long as there are still clubs in existence to compete against. There is a question mark over Coventry, Lakeside seem to have resolved whatever issues they had over the winter and Swindon need to get the new stadium built before people move into the houses in the pits. The trouble is crowds have gone down significantly everywhere (except Poole and BV), so if any clubs fold, who are Poole going to race against? The BSPA need to come up with a plan (better than the last one which diluted the league year on year and drove the crowds away) that will re-energise the sport and they have shown that they do not have the skills to do it - so unless they solve this speedway will continue to die on its @rse and Poole fans will still be saying "Aren't we the greatest" when in fact all they are is the best of a bad lot!

So you are actually agreeing with me. Poole and BV have maintained or increased attendances the way they do business. Yet you think they should follow those less succesful to save the sport? Think it should be the other way round - then we might actually get somewhere.

• Like 4

So you are actually agreeing with me. Poole and BV have maintained or increased attendances the way they do business. Yet you think they should follow those less succesful to save the sport? Think it should be the other way round - then we might actually get somewhere.

BV - the way they do business?? They have been at the bottom end of the table for most of the last 10 years and are only getting a resurgence (temporary until the novelty wears off?) because of the new stadium. The problem appears to be that the other teams don't have the resources (i.e money) to compete and when they do try they either end up in the PL (Ipswich) or out of business (Brmingham) or the NL (Eastbourne and Birmingham) - even Swindon had to be bailed out a few years ago! So I am NOT agreeing with you and the league will only get smaller and smaller until Poole will be champions of Poole!

Poole's business model is good for Poole but sadly not for the rest of the league.

• Like 7

Could Poole be stuck between a rock & a hard place again??

We had this situation a couple of years ago when Poole tried to re-declare a 1-7 before the averages changed but the meeting got postponed, thus meaning the change couldn't be made because the rider hadn't turn a wheel and would of gone above the averages.

Could this now be the case with Bjarne Pedersen - Davey Watt's averages??

Just asking a genuine question or has the rules been amended after previous??

Just answered my own question - Watt's new average is still higher than Pedersen's after the average changes.

So, hypothetically then. Is the rule still in place that a new rider has to race before averages change??

Edited by Danny Smith
  • Like 1

I am not Pooles biggest fan but Matt Ford only does what the rules allow him to do of which he does very well.Now thats where the blame for uneven teams starts and finishes.First of all we know that the present heat format has totally cocked up the averages and that they have cocked it up in their attempt to put things right.

Without going into detail as we have all discused the problems before ie Buzz(heatleader) we all know in this league he is. FTR(switch to Prem averages)Which somehow gives last years champs one of the best pairings.

Now if the rules had been thought out properly then Poole would have had to sign a true 2nd string class rider and would have had Newman and a much weaker FTR.So if you make the said changes to the Poole team i think that most fans(excluding Poole fans)would agree that this would put Poole on a more even par with most of the other teams and make the whole league a lot more competitive.

• Like 2

BV - the way they do business?? They have been at the bottom end of the table for most of the last 10 years and are only getting a resurgence (temporary until the novelty wears off?) because of the new stadium. The problem appears to be that the other teams don't have the resources (i.e money) to compete and when they do try they either end up in the PL (Ipswich) or out of business (Brmingham) or the NL (Eastbourne and Birmingham) - even Swindon had to be bailed out a few years ago! So I am NOT agreeing with you and the league will only get smaller and smaller until Poole will be champions of Poole!

Poole's business model is good for Poole but sadly not for the rest of the league.

Poole's business model is good for the entirety of Speedway in the UK.

Every single year there are promoters and supporters calling for another aspect of our sport to be diluted as a cost saving exercise, whether it's the points limit, foreign riders, number of meetings etc. Only some of the nutters who run our sport could ever think that is a good business plan.

Speedway nutter logic:

Diluting = Better product = Bigger crowds = Sustainable future

Real life logic

Diluting = Poorer product = Smaller crowds = Certain failure

You cannot dilute the product every season and expect that to produce better racing and bigger crowds. For every bit of money saved you're losing a handful of supporters who are only interested in Elite League Speedway. Top riders, top tracks and top racing. Like it or not the only way to build the sport is to put on a better show and that's only going to happen with promoters like Matt Ford, who consistently puts out the very best teams.

Matt Ford isn't even that good! There are a lot of missed opportunities when it comes to actually marketing the sport. Even Bernie Ecclestone is doing a better job of social media...

Edited by BurntFaceMan
  • Like 1

Matt Ford isn't even that good! There are a lot of missed opportunities when it comes to actually marketing the sport. Even Bernie Ecclestone is doing a better job of social media...

I personally think Matt Ford is too "hands on" with his business and needs more staff who have expertise in certain areas.

Loads of missed opportunities to increase the revenue stream. Online shop? Nope. Why not? Rather than have a simple online shop which could be setup in a day, the shop opens on a morning before Christmas to buy a present!

Much stronger online presence.

Social media improvements.

• Like 4

I personally think Matt Ford is too "hands on" with his business and needs more staff who have expertise in certain areas.

Loads of missed opportunities to increase the revenue stream. Online shop? Nope. Why not? Rather than have a simple online shop which could be setup in a day, the shop opens on a morning before Christmas to buy a present!

Shop would take them quite literally less than 1 day to set up on their website. Pick and pack the orders in the morning, stick em in a box and send them on their way.

Social media should be full of clips, entertaining stories, interviews, pictures etc.

It was your post that stated only Poole & BV had maintained attendances. BurntFaceMan's response says it all - the 'Diluting' comparisons make it simple to understand. Seriously, what exactly do you want Poole to do, follow the unsucceful clubs and risk closure? Do you really believe that will improve things?

You wonder why all clubs don`t use on-line shopping more, at most tracks you can only buy their merchandise once you have entered the stadium, surely using the internet opens the possibility of buying something to everyone.

• Like 1