British Speedway Forum

So Leciester could strengthen up by signing Brady Kurtz, a rider whos not as good as their 5th best rider?! Doesn't really work in theory and I doubt it would in reality.

As someone who has supported team that have gained and lost from the points limit I'm a fan of it. It stop, in theory, one team dominating. Poole have in fact pretty much dominated much of the last 7 years (finished top 6 or 7 seasons and won 4 title I believe), if you let them keep the same team nobody else would have a hope in hell.

totally agree..ricko wouldn't of been dumped in 99 if no limits!!

Any team who would've had Kyle Newman the last 2 seasons would've finished higher than they did but fair play to Poole who have helped Starke develop this season.

Here is a link to an article on the Speedway GP website published in the early hours of this morning. See a direct quote from Holder just after half way down;

http://speedwaygp.com/news/article/4493/holder-hails-historic-hat-trick

:t:

Still think he'd ride for another club if Poole left him out but with Darcy's bad injury the team should always have Magic & Chris to spearhead it.

Here is a link to an article on the Speedway GP website published in the early hours of this morning. See a direct quote from Holder just after half way down;

http://speedwaygp.com/news/article/4493/holder-hails-historic-hat-trick

:t:

Still think he'd ride for another club if Poole left him out but with Darcy's bad injury the team should always have Magic & Chris to spearhead it.

Edited by Crazy robin

You can have the other Aussie - Troy Batchelor! Please, Please, Please take him!

As he's owned by the sponsor I'm sure that can be arranged.

• Like 1

ALWAYS believed, and this will go against the grain with many, that any team wishing to keep their 1-7 from one season to another should be allowed to do so and only be affected by any points limit should they want to make changes. Teams should aspire to being the best not waiting for others to be watered down to their level.

Would provide continuity for the fans as well as the riders but no doubt will be shot down in flames. Extinguisher at the ready ...

The sport's been chasing the lowest denominator for years. The time for this was before the majority of the GP boys decided that there was life without the UK. As someone else has said, it just wouldn't be possible now due to lack of riders. Opportunity missed IMO.

• Like 1

So Leciester could strengthen up by signing Brady Kurtz, a rider whos not as good as their 5th best rider?! Doesn't really work in theory and I doubt it would in reality.

As someone who has supported team that have gained and lost from the points limit I'm a fan of it. It stop, in theory, one team dominating. Poole have in fact pretty much dominated much of the last 7 years (finished top 6 or 7 seasons and won 4 title I believe), if you let them keep the same team nobody else would have a hope in hell.

As you say, Poole have pretty much dominated much of the past 7 years - if not longer - and that is working within reduced points limits and changing much of the side every year to fit.

If the EL sticks to the 'one EDR into the top 5' for 2016 suggestion - in Poole's case Newman (however they decide the averages), what would happen if he (or Garrity, Kerr etc) gets injured or has a dramatic loss of form? How will the rules allow for him to be replaced, with many people not liking guests and there not being a long enough list of strong enough young Brits?!

Booooo. I don't want the team broken up! :(

But....

Keep Magic and Holder. Think Newman deserves a chance at being in the top 5 and would be good to keep Starke as one of the FTR. Also Kacper's ave should still be low enough for 2nd string.

• Like 2

Booooo. I don't want the team broken up! :(

But....

Keep Magic and Holder. Think Newman deserves a chance at being in the top 5 and would be good to keep Starke as one of the FTR. Also Kacper's ave should still be low enough for 2nd string.

I would agree with all of that 100%

Janowski is young and a world class rider and should be their first sigining

Should be every season IMHO

getting riders signed up on fake low averages is how ford does it

miedzinski was signed on a 5 , millik was a 4 , both put over 2.5 points on there average

swindon wanted miedzinski as he was there asset but ford didnt ask for permission to talk to him swindon complained but i think a back handed deal had already been done ,

millik as a 4 pointer was a joke , but it was another one of these foreigners than comes in on fake low averages

next seasons example could be brady kurtz who will probably be about a 5 , reckon he could put 2 points on it .....

As you say, Poole have pretty much dominated much of the past 7 years - if not longer - and that is working within reduced points limits and changing much of the side every year to fit.

If the EL sticks to the 'one EDR into the top 5' for 2016 suggestion - in Poole's case Newman (however they decide the averages), what would happen if he (or Garrity, Kerr etc) gets injured or has a dramatic loss of form? How will the rules allow for him to be replaced, with many people not liking guests and there not being a long enough list of strong enough young Brits?!

If the likes of Newman, Garrity & others who are now to strong to be a reserve & don't go into the main body of the team then there is no point having it.

You'd like to think the clubs would keep them if they struggle for form but we know that won't probably be the case so once again you could question the whole system.

I hope that Garrity, Newman etc are not in any kind of draft if they are going to be in clubs top 5.

getting riders signed up on fake low averages is how ford does it

miedzinski was signed on a 5 , millik was a 4 , both put over 2.5 points on there average

swindon wanted miedzinski as he was there asset but ford didnt ask for permission to talk to him swindon complained but i think a back handed deal had already been done ,

millik as a 4 pointer was a joke , but it was another one of these foreigners than comes in on fake low averages

next seasons example could be brady kurtz who will probably be about a 5 , reckon he could put 2 points on it .....

Poole are not the only club who can sign riders without a British club on an assessed average... Seems a bit over the top to say that the Poole Promotion's ability to identify and sign improving riders on "fake low averages" is anything but great management!!

I can clearly remember the 1998 Ipswich Witches team that signed Tomasz Gollob on a 7.50 assessed average! That is hands down the most ridiculous "fake low average" I can remember in the British League. That year they tracked Tony Rickardsson, Tomasz Gollob, Chris Louis, Scotty Nicholls, Toni Svab and Savalas Clouting. They won the league in a canter (P36, W26, D1, L5), won the KO Cup and won the Craven Shield. Rickardsson won the World Championship (Gollob was third), and also won the ELRC. Scotty Nicholls became British U21 champ...

That Ipswich side was the most dominant team I can remember in my time watching the sport. Their end of year averages were:

Tony Rickardsson: 10.29

Chris Louis: 9.42

Tomasz Gollob: 9.29

Scott Nicholls: 6.74

Toni Svab: 5.02

Sal Clouting: 4.09

Signing foreigner riders on assessed averages is part and parcel of the sport. As it happens, since Ford and Golding bought the club back in the late 90s, they have capitalized on the strong supporter base at Poole, and used their financial clout to ensure that the Pirates are the club that the most talented of these unsigned riders want to ride for.
A financially secure club, with plentiful sponsors, and of course the pleasant lifestyle that Poole (Dorset) offers is more a more desirable team to ride for than say a cash-strapped side that can't pay riders and has a home crowd of 500 people. Simple!
  • Like 3

Poole are not the only club who can sign riders without a British club on an assessed average... Seems a bit over the top to say that the Poole Promotion's ability to identify and sign improving riders on "fake low averages" is anything but great management!!

I can clearly remember the 1998 Ipswich Witches team that signed Tomasz Gollob on a 7.50 assessed average! That is hands down the most ridiculous "fake low average" I can remember in the British League. That year they tracked Tony Rickardsson, Tomasz Gollob, Chris Louis, Scotty Nicholls, Toni Svab and Savalas Clouting. They won the league in a canter (P36, W26, D1, L5), won the KO Cup and won the Craven Shield. Rickardsson won the World Championship (Gollob was third), and also won the ELRC. Scotty Nicholls became British U21 champ...

That Ipswich side was the most dominant team I can remember in my time watching the sport. Their end of year averages were:

Tony Rickardsson: 10.29

Chris Louis: 9.42

Tomasz Gollob: 9.29

Scott Nicholls: 6.74

Toni Svab: 5.02

Sal Clouting: 4.09

And sadly, Ippo are still paying for that era.

If the likes of Newman, Garrity & others who are now to strong to be a reserve & don't go into the main body of the team then there is no point having it.

I totally agree, the BSPA should make clubs take these better riders into the top 5 on an assessed 4.50 ave, ive said that ages ago. Its the only way they are going to improve. Then, if they have it, it will come out.

And sadly, Ippo are still paying for that era.

I totally agree, the BSPA should make clubs take these better riders into the top 5 on an assessed 4.50 ave, ive said that ages ago. Its the only way they are going to improve. Then, if they have it, it will come out.

I think the thing they need to think seriously about is what they do if it doesn't work out for some of them though.