British Speedway Forum
stratton

Your Own Great Memories.?

Remember it well. The weather was awful! He used to practice on ice to perfect his throttle control. Desperately wanted to ride for Oxford and got his wish but I think that he lost his enthusiasm (and nerve) when 'The Rebels' moved to Wood Lane. Never mastered the track. I think that he was still riding a JAP and the engine just didn't suit the White City circuit. I actually presented him with a bottle of bubbly at the last match of the season at Cowley!

Wasn't he only in his mid twenties when he retired? Such a shame, a brilliant rider, much loved at Hackney. Wish he'd stayed for longer.

• Like 1

Wasn't he only in his mid twenties when he retired? Such a shame, a brilliant rider, much loved at Hackney. Wish he'd stayed for longer.

Yes he was. A very classy rider. He had a bad crash with Trevor Hedge at Wood Lane in 1976 and he admitted that he lost his nerve (interview in 'Backtrack' magazine some years ago) His brother, Ulf (another favourite of mine), rode for Cradley and Oxford but his style was so very different.

Sorry Sidney to bring this one up but one of my great memories was the Swindon v Oxford (BL) clash at the tail end of the 1986 season. 'The Cheetahs' gave 'The Robins' a real drubbing and my abiding memory was Per Sorensen securing a paid maximum on his return to a track that had earlier discarded him. He must have been 'over the moon' with that performance. Per's signing really turned Oxford's season round and they went on to become invincible in all competitions that year!

There is some detective work needing to follow parts of this otherwise excellent thread. In some after a rider is named in a first Post, subsequent replies debate only 'he' is mentioned. Please always mention a name not only in a first Post but when replying to a previous Post.

There is some detective work needing to follow parts of this otherwise excellent thread. In some after a rider is named in a first Post, subsequent replies debate only 'he' is mentioned. Please always mention a name not only in a first Post but when replying to a previous Post.

Noted!

A favourite memory of mine took place at New Cross (v West Ham) on Wednesday, April 16, 1947.

It was in heat and involved the famed whiteliner Tommy Croombs (West Ham) who was making a come-back after retiring on the outbreak of WW2 in September 1939. The other rider was the then emergent New Cross rider Ray Moore.

The race was won by Ron Johnson (NX) from 'Uncle' Bob Harrison (WH), but the incident that stays with me was as follows. Croombs held a narrow lead over a persistent Moore doggedly tried to go round Croombs without success. Then on the third lap Moore changed tactics entering the pits bend and tried to pass Croombs on the inside.

It was an error that proved costly for Moore. Croombs was tucked on the white line and refused to budge as Moore drove hard inside him. Suddenly a surprised Moore found himself on the grass on the wrong side of the track and was disqualified. It was also a revelation to him and the spectators as to white Croombs was then known as one of speedway's finest white line riders.

Of minor interest, New Cross won the National League match 47-37.

A favourite memory of mine took place at New Cross (v West Ham) on Wednesday, April 16, 1947.

Cripes! That's before even I was born! A good memory though.

Tommy Croombs's son, Bobby, later rode for New Cross of course, though very rarely managed to finish four laps as he always seemed to fall off.

It was in heat and involved the famed whiteliner Tommy Croombs (West Ham) who was making a come-back after retiring on the outbreak of WW2 in September 1939. The other rider was the then emergent New Cross rider Ray Moore.

The race was won by Ron Johnson (NX) from 'Uncle' Bob Harrison (WH), but the incident that stays with me was as follows. Croombs held a narrow lead over a persistent Moore doggedly tried to go round Croombs without success. Then on the third lap Moore changed tactics entering the pits bend and tried to pass Croombs on the inside.

It was an error that proved costly for Moore. Croombs was tucked on the white line and refused to budge as Moore drove hard inside him. Suddenly a surprised Moore found himself on the grass on the wrong side of the track and was disqualified. It was also a revelation to him and the spectators as to white Croombs was then known as one of speedway's finest white line riders.

Of minor interest, New Cross won the National League match 47-37.

Cripes! That's before even I was born! A good memory though.

Tommy Croombs's son, Bobby, later rode for New Cross of course, though very rarely managed to finish four laps as he always seemed to fall off.

I knew Bobby Croombs and his dad Tommy quite well in the late 1950sand early 1960s. As you say norbold, Bobby also rode for New Cross at one time.

http://www.speedwayatoz.co.uk/bobbycroombs.html

...and here's brief item on Bobby's dad Tommy Croombs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Croombs

Edited by Guest

One of the best meetings in living memory at Oxford was the 1985 Knock Out Cup Final between Oxford and Ipswich. The meeting had everything and the tie was in the balance right until the very last race. The Oxford pair of Simon Wigg and Troy Butler only needed to split 'The Witches' (John Cook and Jem Doncaster) to secure the match. The Ipswich pair gated as one leaving Simon Wigg trailing. However on exiting the fourth bend John Cook rather bizarrely took Doncaster out allowing the Oxford pair thru'. Was it on purpose? Forever remains a mystery. I did once put it to John Berry and he was equally mystified by Cook's antics.

1986. Swindon v Oxford. Swindon had just dropped Per Sorensen and Oxford signed him.

Swindon 28 Oxford 50 (may have been even more than that, can't quite remember) and Per scored a paid maximum. Happy days!

• Like 1

1986. Swindon v Oxford. Swindon had just dropped Per Sorensen and Oxford signed him.

Swindon 28 Oxford 50 (may have been even more than that, can't quite remember) and Per scored a paid maximum. Happy days!

Yes it was alway great putting one over 'The Budgies!'...trouble is the following season they got their own back by beating 'The Cheetahs' at Cowley! Those local derbies between the Oxford 'Cheetahs', Swindon 'Budgies' and the Reading 'Berks' always produced memorable moments!

Remember that and the Nielsen/Per Partnership was very good indeed, Sorensen was a very useful rider knew him and Peter Glanz reasonably well as they were often seen about in Stratton.But Nielsen really helped Sorensen in his riding bigtime, he made alot of progress when going to Oxford.

All those days i enjoyed very much "Norbold" i was not lucky anough to see from 1960 onwards i started going in 1969 have been going ever since.Another meeting that sticks out for me was a Swindon v Halifax meeting 63-15 Ian Cartwright the only visiting rider to split a home pair a right mauling.

If I remember rightly, I think it was 62-15, with Swindon even getting a 5-0 at one point. I think a 4-2 against Cartwright and a last place by David Ashby were the only times a Swindon rider got beat.

I think it was either 23-55 or 25-53.

Great one for me was Phil Crump's maximum against the might of Cradley Heath in 1983. We lost 29-49 but celebrated as if we had won the league.

If I remember rightly, I think it was 62-15, with Swindon even getting a 5-0 at one point. I think a 4-2 against Cartwright and a last place by David Ashby were the only times a Swindon rider got beat.

I think it was either 23-55 or 25-53.

Great one for me was Phil Crump's maximum against the might of Cradley Heath in 1983. We lost 29-49 but celebrated as if we had won the league.

I often have a chat with Ian Cartwright when I'm passing thru' Kilburn in North Yorkshire where he is one of the directors of 'Mouseman' Robert Thompson Ltd where the fine furniture they produced has a mouse motive carved into it! He's a very nice, unassuming man and I enjoy reminiscing about the old days with him!

• Like 2

I started going to speedway at Eastbourne in 1971 and will always remember Gordon Kennett passing John Louis in a really great race. The highlight of the meetings were often the Second Half final which always seemed to featured Gordon and Dave Kennett, Malcolm Ballard and Roger Johns. Heart in mouth stuff as they threw their bikes at one another. It was amazing that Reg Trott often scored heavily in the match but would come a quiet second in his second half heat thus avoiding the madness of the final!!!

Another favourite memory is a 17 year old Neil Middleditch passing Arthur Price on the last corner in Heat 13 to join Bobby McNeil in a 5-1 for a 40-38 win. It was 1973 and in that year Boston were the champions and Price the BL2 Riders Champion.

First away meeting was Young England Vs Young Poland at Canterbury. Bit of an eye opener after the smaller Eastbourne track.

• Like 1

Having seen English FA Cup finals and England international football matches , Wimbledon Tennis finals and England cricket teams regaining the Ashes in the early fifties with Compton and Bill Edrich .Also the Manchester United football team just before the Munich air crash the best sporting event I have ever seen was the 1949 World Speedway final at Wembley . Nothing could compare to the atmosphere that evening. I have never so many people at a sporting even before or ever since. As I supported Wembley it was the icing on the cake when Tommy Price won and I think it was the only time English riders were first, second and third

• Like 1