British Speedway Forum
tyretrax

Jimmy Tannock

Sad news on the passing of former Ashfield Giants and Edinburgh Monarchs rider Jimmy Tannock. Jimmy was the President of the W.S.R.A. (Scottish Branch) and will be greatly missed. R.I.P. my old friend.

• Like 1

Sad news on the passing of former Ashfield Giants and Edinburgh Monarchs rider Jimmy Tannock. Jimmy was the President of the W.S.R.A. (Scottish Branch) and will be greatly missed. R.I.P. my old friend.

aye agree ,very sad news about jimmy tannock ,and te famous maroon/orange rugby strip he wore over his leathers.also remember at old meadow bank days edinburgh v shieffield tigers jimmy was edinburgh no 8 rider with no team place, but for some reason shieffield turned up with 6 riders ,so jimmy jumped into the sheffield team to make up the no.s did jimmy not rider the meeting of his life ,scored double points and edinburgh lost the meeting,im sure was in monarchs team the next week,happy memories

• Like 1

I remember Jimmy in the 60's being a stalward rider in the Old Meadowbank days. Never a great rider, but very much a handful on track.

RIP Jimmy

• Like 1

Sad day.

The WSRA were made aware of Jimmy's poor health and were advised to expect the worst but that doesn't stop the shock of losing a good friend.

If Jimmy recognised you, he never passed without acknowledging you, no matter where you were. A true gentleman.

We will sadly miss his chairing of our meetings and his being the MC of our annual dinner in Livingston. It will be a sad night next March, when we don't hear is voice on the mic.

RIP Jimmy

• Like 4

A lovely man who I met and talked with on a number of occasions. I will never forget his friendliness or the fact that he found time to chat with everyone.

Thank you Jimmy.

R.I.P. +

• Like 3

A lovely man who I met and talked with on a number of occasions. I will never forget his friendliness or the fact that he found time to chat with everyone.

Thank you Jimmy.

R.I.P. +

Very sorry to hear the news about Jimmy. My comment would be the same as The White Knight's. A very nice friendly man.

R.I.P. old friend.

• Like 1

Jimmy made us really welcome when we came up for the Scottish dinner a few years back. He collected us from the airport, took us to the hotel, then on to the dinner. Next day he drove us to visit Cinders to Shale then back to the airport. He made it a memorable visit for us, and something we always remember with great pleasure. RIP Jimmy..

Edited by Clutchstart05
  • Like 1

Sad news,Jimmy was a great guy and a character ,had time for everybody and his stories are legendary . I remember his partnership with Dougie Templeton at Old Meadowbank never a superstar of the sport but a team man through and through.R.I.P.

• Like 1

More on the late Jimmy Tannock R!P

http://www.edinburghmonarchs.co/news/article.asp?id=2272

I first met Jimmy Tannock when he rode for Edinburgh against a New Cross junior side in 1960 =

EDINBURGH 32 NEW CROSS 40 Saturday, 14th May 1960.

My most memorbable memory of Jimmy - who scored 3 points - was when he borrowed New Cross rider Jim Chalkley's guitar and 'entertained' listeners with a song!

Edited by Guest

I saw Jimmy ride for several years in the 60's. Never heat leader class but could win races on his day. I met him twice at WSRA dinners and a true gent. Glad everyone on here feels the same. RIP Jimmy.

Sad news.I saw him being interviewed on TV on a non speedway related subject. I think it was to do with railways but he got in a bit of speedway memorabilia in the background!

BERT Harkins told me that Jimmy lived in a castle in Scotland and during the summer months when the midges came visiting he would appear outside in a suit of armour.

• Like 2