British Speedway Forum
sparkafag

When Did Speedway Stop Being As Good As It Used To Be…

The thing is, I remember reading in Speedway Star back in the 1980s that while Nielsen/Gundersen was a good rivally it lacked the interest of Carter/Penhall.

Coverage of the sport dropped considerably during that time. Hans Neilsen's World Final win in Poland wasn't even on tv and I had to get the video just to watch it.

I also have speedway stars from 1967, and there is an article in one of those bemoaning that speedway isn't as interesting as it used to be as it lacks the characters it used to have.

I reckon the answer is 1930.

I would go along with that. I can remember going to Hackney in my schooldays and there were some old boys there then telling me it wasn't as good as the 1930's when there was the interest of different bikes, before everyone rode JAPs. Like most other things in life our perspective changes as we get older.

I would go along with that. I can remember going to Hackney in my schooldays and there were some old boys there then telling me it wasn't as good as the 1930's when there was the interest of different bikes, before everyone rode JAPs. Like most other things in life our perspective changes as we get older.

Exactly.

My Grandad would tell me it wasn't as good as when he went in the 50's.

My Dad would say the same about the 70's.

I now say it's not as good as in the 90's.. and so it goes on.

It's one of the 'myths' that some keep peddling, even though it's easily disproved.

The other 'myth' that seems to be creeping in now is this notion that the majority of fans 'suddenly' only care if their team is winning. That isn't a modern phenomenon, it's always been the case that a team attracts higher crowds when they are winning than if they are losing.

• Like 1

I am pretty sure that someone once posted an article from a 1930s speedway mag that was alarmed that the sport wasn't what it once was,less than a decade after it was introduced into the country

For me, the day I once too often saw a true racer open the throttle and head for the outside line, only to lose ground horribly. About the late 80s.

Agree 100%. Saw that happen far too many times as Kirky Lane after the track was "improved". The big blasts around the outside in the Joe Screen, Kai Laukkanen (during his first spell with the Aces) and Jason Lyons era were breathtaking to watch. Races where a fast starter hugs the inside line, almost guaranteeing success, are a complete bore fest for me. Really hope it isn't too long before the new Belle Vue track delivers a decent outside racing line...
  • Like 1

The loss of a speedway in London.

Despite all the doom and gloom, I'm liking some of the things I'm seeing in the British leagues at the Moment. Obviously the NSS in Manchester is fantastic (I cannot wait to see the SWC there in July) Glasgow seem to be doing great things, Rye House seem to be trying to do the same. Sittingbourne is a cracking stadium, I'm a little surprised it's not been used for more to be honest. Norfolk arena is a nice little stadium these days, of course there is still Poole & Sheffield which are wonderful venues to watch Speedway and of course there are other nice venues that I've not mentioned.

With regards to the racing I believe is it just as good as when I first started watching in 1983. The presentation is a bit outdated at a few places but on the whole most places seem to be trying to modernize.

All we need now is the people running the sport to get their backsides in gear and start doing things correctly!

Edited by RPNYC

As Gresham stated earlier in the Thread - the advent of the 'Lay Down' Engine started the slide for me.. (No pun intended).

As Gresham stated earlier in the Thread - the advent of the 'Lay Down' Engine started the slide for me.. (No pun intended).

So a long time after the decline had begun and of little relevance.

Age. Everything seems more intense and more important when you are younger. Consequently, everything is not as good as it used to be. When you are a kid and your football team loses it is the end of the world. By the time you are in your thirties you shrug your shoulders and get on with your day,

Difficulty to attract a younger crowd because in 2016 you need more glitz and glamour to stand out in the overcrowded entertainment market.

• Like 3

Think,as Bwitcher has already pointed out that the actual standard of racing is still very good,it is just the whole feeling around the sport that it isn't very important any more because of the medias lack of enthusiasm and the lack of crowd enthusiasm....

So why is there a lack of enthusiasm from the media and crowd?

What stopped them being enthusiastic?

If the racing is so good and no different to before, why did people stop going? Because of no media...or no crowds?

Something had to make the media and crowds less enthusiastic in the first place.

Both have walked away in numbers.

Granted TV is more regular...but crowds at Stadium are less, and media coverage is less...although I'd say social media is obviously up.

How many young people buy papers and magazines these days? It's all online.

There are so many things that are wrong with this sport...it's made too bloody complicated.

There are so many things that are still good...the very basics.

Promotors have taken a very good basic sport and ruined it, by interfering with rules, regs, tracks and bikes.

When you have seven riders one season and a good majority not there the next, then you have a very serious problem.

Fans want something to get attached too...not an ever rotating bunch of the same riders, switching teams every five minutes.

And that's just touching the surface.

• Like 1

So why is there a lack of enthusiasm from the media and crowd?

What stopped them being enthusiastic?

If the racing is so good and no different to before, why did people stop going? Because of no media...or no crowds?

Something had to make the media and crowds less enthusiastic in the first place.

Both have walked away in numbers.

Granted TV is more regular...but crowds at Stadium are less, and media coverage is less...although I'd say social media is obviously up.

How many young people buy papers and magazines these days? It's all online.

There are so many things that are wrong with this sport...it's made too bloody complicated.

There are so many things that are still good...the very basics.

Promotors have taken a very good basic sport and ruined it, by interfering with rules, regs, tracks and bikes.

When you have seven riders one season and a good majority not there the next, then you have a very serious problem.

Fans want something to get attached too...not an ever rotating bunch of the same riders, switching teams every five minutes.

And that's just touching the surface.

The issue has been explained on the thread already... as it has been several times previously.

However, because it doesn't fit in your with constant rants you choose to 'ignore' quite literally.

Edited by BWitcher

So a long time after the decline had begun and of little relevance.

That is a matter of opinion.

I agree with Gresham on this matter and your opinion has very little relevance to me.

The issue has been explained on the thread already... as it has been several times previously.

However, because it doesn't fit in your with constant rants you choose to 'ignore' quite literally.

How about this for an irrelevant Post?

As usual - back to the personal stuff.

• Like 1

The decline for Speedway is mainly due to

Wembley closing for League Speedway. ,then the absence of World Finals there

Too Much Speedway on television

The lack of no Speedway in London

The growth of Speedway in Poland and Sweden

Changing from 2 valve to 4 valve

Teams not having many local riders in them.

Nearly all sports including football have a big decline in attendances

And the main one of all Television

• Like 1

That is a matter of opinion.

I agree with Gresham on this matter and your opinion has very little relevance to me.

How about this for an irrelevant Post?

As usual - back to the personal stuff.

Here we go again.

A sensible discussion begins but is soon hijacked by old timers who cannot grasp that their 'pet dislikes' are not the primary reasons for the sports struggles and quite simply refuse to accept that it isn't the case despite the fact all the evidence says so.

White Knight, the sport was declining a long time before the advent of lay down engines. That is fact.

I haven't got personal. Gresham is clogging up forum space trying to engage in a conversation that he can only see half of, all because he doesn't like it when it's pointed out to him what he is saying isn't correct.

The decline for Speedway is mainly due to

Wembley closing for League Speedway. ,then the absence of World Finals there

Too Much Speedway on television

The lack of no Speedway in London

The growth of Speedway in Poland and Sweden

Changing from 2 valve to 4 valve

Teams not having many local riders in them.

Nearly all sports including football have a big decline in attendances

And the main one of all Television

Agree with most of those points.

I would add, also, when the two leagues went their separate ways.