British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Poole V Kings Lynn Elb. 7/09/16

Porsing should be OK as he rode in Poland on Sunday.

Yes Nick rode in Poland. Dropped bike in 3rd heat 1st bend as unable to hold bike. Right arm dead. XRay showed 2 fractures in rib just under collar bone. We have since discovered that it was half a house brick which hit Nick on Thursday. Thankfully it was his shoulder, as if it had hit his head, I hate to think what might have happened. With the speed it came off NKI rear tyre and forward speed of Nick, it probably hit him at well over 100mph. Nick is still in Poland being treated in oxygen tent and electrodes. He aims to be at Lynn on Tuesday to ride against Poole.

Yes Nick rode in Poland. Dropped bike in 3rd heat 1st bend as unable to hold bike. Right arm dead. XRay showed 2 fractures in rib just under collar bone. We have since discovered that it was half a house brick which hit Nick on Thursday. Thankfully it was his shoulder, as if it had hit his head, I hate to think what might have happened. With the speed it came off NKI rear tyre and forward speed of Nick, it probably hit him at well over 100mph. Nick is still in Poland being treated in oxygen tent and electrodes. He aims to be at Lynn on Tuesday to ride against Poole.

I hope some words were had with Buster over that?

Half a house brick is an absolute disgrace and is an incredibly serious H&S 'Near Miss'.

Is the Clerk of Course aware and reported?

Thought I'd read that somewhere (broken bones), and also talking about that being his season over?

Guess time will tell on the treatment.

Even more patched up Stars for trip to Dorset then

This is when Poole needed a number 8 this year, would have made covering some of these riders easier with your own rider. Not sure why Matt never did sign a number 8.

This is when Poole needed a number 8 this year, would have made covering some of these riders easier with your own rider. Not sure why Matt never did sign a number 8.

We hardly ever sign a number 8.

How did half an house brick go unnoticed.The track ain't that deep.

That is bloody appalling! :angry: I thought he'd broken a rib? That's what I'd seen mentioned on Twitter. I have seen the massive bruise picture that Nicklas shared on Twitter too. It looks bad.

Pretty surprised that went unnoticed for so long.It was heat 11 that happened.Bring back track rakers i say.

But first and foremost how the hell did it get there in the first place?

Anyway back on topic another huge loss on the cards again for the severely depleted Stars.And Shovlar thinks his team have it bad ;).Poole have had it for a week or so,it seems King's Lynn have had injury problems all season.

Sky should enjoy it though with another big victory for the Pirates.

Edited by tellboy

How did half an house brick go unnoticed.The track ain't that deep.

Speaking to Buster. He can only think that the stock cars pulled up the brick and that it lay just below surface when the track was prepared. I and Nick walked track before meeting, other than start it was slick with quite a few small stones (gravel) - larger stones and bits of stock cars (nuts etc. ) were being removed. Buster thinks that when he graded track after ht10 he must have lifted brick nearer the surface. Usually any large stone like this would be lifted and remain in grader, to be picked out. We think brick was possibly not visible, but NKI spat it out and unfortunately for Nick it hit him. He said he saw it coming and moved his head away before it hit his shoulder. He thought he had been shot ! The actual pain didn't hit him until he had crossed finishing line and then it was a case of staying on slowing the bike down. So that why he pulled up on bend 3. At first he told me on the track that he thought he had dislocated shoulder, but with movement in medic room we knew that was not the case. The laughing gas works, so pain subsided and when we got home and he applied arnica to help with bruising. He wasn't keen to sit a few hours in A&E for an X-Ray, so we decided to see how it was when we got to Poland. Sunday morning in Poland, we could see bruising had come out and he said it felt OK to race. Ht1 he knew not right, as bike pulled from the start. His 2nd heat, he hit a rut and locked up the bike which caused great pain. His 3rd heat as he came into bend 1 he knew he couldn't hold on, so got off it. Again he didn't want to go to hospital, but I insisted as I thought he had a cracked collar bone. In the pits he was in tears with pain and medics gave him some strong pain killers. Eventually I persuaded him to go for an X-Ray - Polish hospital excellent in/out within an hour. Diagnosis - 1sr rib below collarbone cracked in two places. So not surprising it hurt. Now in Poland having oxygen tent treatment and electrodes. Plan is to be fit for Tuesday at Lynn. Hope that gives you all the facts. No one to blame, just bloody unlucky. Though he blames Niels for riding that line !!! Ha ha!!

• Like 3

Anyway with an already depleted Stars,who is going to guest for Porsing.With an average of 4.70 there really isn't many options.L.Lindgren maybe if available.J.Allen,M.Kus the list is endless may as well see if Kerr wants a ride and go with 3 reserves,4 if you include Huckenbeck.This isn't going to be pretty viewing for Sky are they trying to kill the sport by showing such one sided matches ;)

Anyway with an already depleted Stars,who is going to guest for Porsing.With an average of 4.70 there really isn't many options.L.Lindgren maybe if available.

Ludvig will be riding for Leicester I imagine.

Unfortunately the rules allow for three types of "number 8", these provide cover for:

1) double uppers with a another double upper

2) additional EDR rider

3) any non EDR rider with an untried foreigner.

None of these would help Poole who need to cover for missing heat leaders.

I cannot see any sense, rhyme or reason in showing this meeting on Sky tonight. It does nothing to promote the sport and do more in turning people away.. We have two teams from each end of the spectrum that will result in a totally one sided affair that only die-hard Poole fans will appreciate. We don't know the exact score , but we all know it will be a massive home win, scoring in the excess of 60 pts again.

Surely it would have been far more beneficial to show the recent exciting Belle Vue against Poole match, that would do far more to promote this sport, keep people interested and not cost a penny to broadcast...

Sometimes, common sense is staring right in front of you.... and people cant see it.....

• Like 1

Ludvig will be riding for Leicester I imagine.

Of course,forgot there was another EL meeting tonight.

• Like 1

Speaking to Buster. He can only think that the stock cars pulled up the brick and that it lay just below surface when the track was prepared. I and Nick walked track before meeting, other than start it was slick with quite a few small stones (gravel) - larger stones and bits of stock cars (nuts etc. ) were being removed. Buster thinks that when he graded track after ht10 he must have lifted brick nearer the surface. Usually any large stone like this would be lifted and remain in grader, to be picked out. We think brick was possibly not visible, but NKI spat it out and unfortunately for Nick it hit him. He said he saw it coming and moved his head away before it hit his shoulder. He thought he had been shot ! The actual pain didn't hit him until he had crossed finishing line and then it was a case of staying on slowing the bike down. So that why he pulled up on bend 3. At first he told me on the track that he thought he had dislocated shoulder, but with movement in medic room we knew that was not the case. The laughing gas works, so pain subsided and when we got home and he applied arnica to help with bruising. He wasn't keen to sit a few hours in A&E for an X-Ray, so we decided to see how it was when we got to Poland. Sunday morning in Poland, we could see bruising had come out and he said it felt OK to race. Ht1 he knew not right, as bike pulled from the start. His 2nd heat, he hit a rut and locked up the bike which caused great pain. His 3rd heat as he came into bend 1 he knew he couldn't hold on, so got off it. Again he didn't want to go to hospital, but I insisted as I thought he had a cracked collar bone. In the pits he was in tears with pain and medics gave him some strong pain killers. Eventually I persuaded him to go for an X-Ray - Polish hospital excellent in/out within an hour. Diagnosis - 1sr rib below collarbone cracked in two places. So not surprising it hurt. Now in Poland having oxygen tent treatment and electrodes. Plan is to be fit for Tuesday at Lynn. Hope that gives you all the facts. No one to blame, just bloody unlucky. Though he blames Niels for riding that line !!! Ha ha!!

Ha.Poor Niels lol.I ride on the road and a bloody pigeon hurts when it hits you.Can't imagine what a brick is like hitting you at that speed. :cry: