British Speedway Forum
cityrebel

Lakeside 2017

Just to add I doubt any Saturday will happen as on the 3 weeks in a month with no RTS meeting, the track is in use all day for practice for the cars. I believe this is the case on the alternate Sundays too.

You would have thought seeing as the Promoter hinted at saturday meetings that he knows what he is talking about..........guess we have to wait and see

Just to add I doubt any Saturday will happen as on the 3 weeks in a month with no RTS meeting, the track is in use all day for practice for the cars. I believe this is the case on the alternate Sundays too.

As far as I have been able to make out, general practice sessions run from 10am to 3pm on Saturdays apart from the first Saturday of the month. Drift practice takes place alternate Sundays, also 10 - 3. Track prep would have to start a little later but this must have been the case when Coventry visited on both occasions last season.

Edited by tocha

I would guess the two signings will be Morley and Zach whatever his name is lol.

Top 3 of

Ben Morley

Zak watjnect

Robert mear

Bloody hell, what's the points limit going to be?

I suspect Rob would come in on a higher average than Ben? His Elite ave was 3.65 x 1.4 for a PL ave = 5.11 x 2 for NL average puts him at 10.22 if i understand the rules (and im not sure anyone really does).

Wouldn't it be his 2007 CL average for Rye House using the Rich Hall rule?

As far as I have been able to make out, general practice sessions run from 10am to 3pm on Saturdays apart from the first Saturday of the month. Drift practice takes place alternate Sundays, also 10 - 3. Track prep would have to start a little later but this must have been the case when Coventry visited on both occasions last season.

That's correct. Its also the case that on the monthly Ride n' Slide speedway training days, Gerald doesn't get on the track until around 4pm . Of course for NL racing much less track prep will be needed.. It will no longer be a case of having grip where the EL riders want it and what suits their set ups. All that will be needed is a steady smooth surface that the riders a re able to turn the bikes properly on. At NL standard they wont be fickle about set ups and racing lines in the same way the top riders are.

I can see a number of problems to be overcome, but finding slots in the calendar and getting the track ready isn't one of them.

That's not true, riding lines and set ups are just as important as the riders need to learn how to set up like a rider in the Premiership would have too

Bloody hell, what's the points limit going to be?

My guess is...

1. Rob Branford 9.98 (Adam Ellis 10.98 if he'd do another season)

2. Luke Clifton 4.22 (Callum Walker 3.45)

3. Jack Kingston 5.84

4. Danno Verge 4.43

5. Ben Morley 9.22

6. Sam Woods 3.00

7. Connor Locke 3.00 (Any other 3.00 suggestions?)

Other riders I would like to see would be Marc Owen, Alfie Bowtell or Mark Baseby

I'm not so up to date on the NL rules so I don't know if this team is legal, please feel free to correct me on the rules

Edited by Dandelion

I think some people need to realise the amount of work and time required to set up the Lakeside Track - and the time aspect is clearly dependent upon how many track volunteers are actually on hand to assist.

Obviously, on ride and slide days, the track is already built; so it's primarily a case of track prep and a few maintenance/cleaning duties.

However, setting up from scratch after a car event is a completely different beast.

As a general overview of tasks, these include:

- Getting the lorries with fencing, airbags and other equipment from the car park to trackside. Easy? Maybe not - when you consider not everyone can drive a lorry; nor negotiate long flatbed trailers via the tight pits.

- Off-loading very heavy airbags, wooden posts and fence panels.

- Digging out shale and other crap from the holes around the entire track perimeter; so that the wooden airbag posts and fence posts, can sit rigidly into the holes.

- Laying out the airbags in the correct order to ensure they can be correctly velcro'd and zipped together. Zipping is a major pain in the rear; imagine trying to get heavy duty zips working properly when they are caked in dry, dusty shale from the previous meeting.

- Off-loading the fences for the straights; and bolting these together (not always the easiest of tasks getting two seperate panel bolt holes alligned)!

- Off-loading the wooden posts for the bends - again this has to be in the correct order else the strapping (similar material as car seat belts) becomes completely twisted and tangled.

- Multiple clipping of the airbags to the strapping.

- Getting the airbag generators fueled and working before inflating the bags; then remedial repairwork to any holes and/or the rubber flap basing.

- Putting up signage on the centre green; and erecting sponsor signage elsewhere.

- Jet-washing all airbags and fence panels (these fence panels are also repainted 2-3 times per season).

- This used to be the case - erection of a VIP area close to the pits.

- Off-loading and setting out crowd barriers along the back straight.

- Setting up the starting gates.

- Setting up all electrics in the refs box; then multiple testing of starting gate; warning lights, audible pit warnings and telephone.

- Jet-washing the pits area; particularly ensuring that the surface is free from potential slipping/H&S risks. Bear in mind that demolished stock cars are dragged through the pits; so extra care is taken given that they are often peeing out oil, coolant and petrol.

- Ensuring that the pits area has sand and fire extingishers in place. Checking the tyre airline works correctly. Sticking up a race card for each rider.

- 'Walking the track' visibly looking for bolts, screws, exhaust brackets, and gawd knows what other debris materialises from the aforementioned wrecks - but absolutely vital for rider safety.

That's just a rough idea from memory.

However, I hope it provides an idea of the work AND TIME involved by Lakeside's often unsung heroes; the vast majority of whom do it for absolutely nothing other than 'a labour of love'.

Edited by The Voice Of Reason
  • Like 5

Bowtell & Hunter announced. So Lakeside could use them as second strings and a strong top 3 of something like Morley, Mear & Wajtknecht or use Hunter as a star reserve, dependent on the points limit.

• Like 1