British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Knightime

British Based Polish League Team?

In American Football the NFL (USA) are considering putting a team in London because they fill stadiums - with the BSPA having downgraded the sport here to the Premier level a lot of fans are very disappointed - imagine the gates/interest if a top level team riding in the Polish League was based here - a money making opportunity if ever I saw one!

• Like 1

In American Football the NFL (USA) are considering putting a team in London because they fill stadiums - with the BSPA having downgraded the sport here to the Premier level a lot of fans are very disappointed - imagine the gates/interest if a top level team riding in the Polish League was based here - a money making opportunity if ever I saw one!

Never happen.In Hamburg our Ice Hockey team closed down last season despite crowds of 7,000.The Russian League looked into starting a team here as they have done in a few other countries(so i have heard),but of course this idea was blocked by the German Budesliga as it was seen as a competitor.The same as the BSPA would turn down this idea as fighting against their own leagues

Nice idea,but a definite no-goer ;)

I don't see how the BSPA can stop you affiliating with the Polish league. Would be naff all to do with them.

Thought something similar however,

I think you would still struggle to get a competitive team given the amount of cash paid in Poland as you are in the market for the same riders and would have to offer at least parity to make them want to ride for you.

£10 - £15k (at least) per home match for three to four riders (and double that for the away meeting you pay for) would not be a money maker I would suggest.

You would have to charge at least £20 and hope for a 5000 - 6000 minimum attendance every fortnight.

Maybe given the initial novelty value the first matches may attract that kind of crowd at somewhere like Poole but not sure if those crowd levels would be sustainable ongoing even there...

I thought maybe entering if possible the Swedish League as lower costs but often the same riders Poland use...?

Maybe that could attract enough of a crowd and sponsorship to be financially viable for a track to take the risk?

And maybe become a precursor to a Euro League?

A good radical proposal though Knightime..

I think you couldn't load the team with stars, you would load it with brits (perhaps the odd aussie) pay El rates, and use it to develop talent.

So lambert harris king cook s worrall Ellis garritty as a line up for example.

What could be the benefit for the poles though in allowing it?

It isn't a money making opportunity. You wouldn't attract any more fans, the riders would want more money and you'd have to charge fans more to watch in the first place, which they won't do.

It isn't a money making opportunity. You wouldn't attract any more fans, the riders would want more money and you'd have to charge fans more to watch in the first place, which they won't do.

I disagree. Fans would travel to see Pedersen, Hancock, Sayfutdinov etc riding in the UK. I think the biggest challenge would be persuading the Polish teams to travel to England with all the equipment to race here.

In terms of benefit to the Poles, the most obvious would be a potential TV deal for their league in Britain.

• Like 1

which would have to be spent on rider wages, so no real benefit.

I don't see how the BSPA can stop you affiliating with the Polish league. Would be naff all to do with them.

But they can stop a team riding in the UK because they hold the cards for all speedway in the UK.

I think you couldn't load the team with stars, you would load it with brits (perhaps the odd aussie) pay El rates, and use it to develop talent.

So lambert harris king cook s worrall Ellis garritty as a line up for example.

What could be the benefit for the poles though in allowing it?

You would still have to follow the '4 Poles' rule I would think as that is how they configure the teams..

And you would struggle to afford two good Poles and two good Polish reserves, and you would need them I would suggest with the best top three Brits (ex Woffy) making up your team.

You would still have to follow the '4 Poles' rule I would think as that is how they configure the teams..

And you would struggle to afford two good Poles and two good Polish reserves, and you would need them I would suggest with the best top three Brits (ex Woffy) making up your team.

Daugavpils race in the lower league in Poland and they have to use Latvian riders rather than Polish.

Of course, they also aren't allowed to race in the Extraliga. They have won the lower league the last 2 years but aren't allowed to take the promotion place...

• Like 1

It's interesting as it is possibly the only way you'd get British based immigrant Polish speedway fans going through the turnstiles here.

Our own domestic league doesn't bring them out.

Edited by Deano

What about a Poland based British team? I know they have foreign teams in their second division but I'm not sure what level they compete at. Can't be any worse than SGB Premiership though...

Edited by BurntFaceMan

A British team competing in the Polish league????

If you want to make a small fortune out of speedway - you have to start with a large one!!!

• Like 1

What if a group of promoters joined together to create a british lions team or similar and entered the polish league but home meetings took place at different tracks in the UK?

• Like 2