British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

Worst Ever Performance By Your Team

Read with interest your post BL about Wolves end of season run- I had totally forgotten that, they ended up 7th I notice -one place behind the Wasps I ent back and read the report of the meeting in the Star and you are right -there are comments made about the quality of the racing-including PV being overtaken by Sweetmanand partner after a lightning gate. I see Alby Golden prevented a whitewash (no racist comment intended) and even then that was because Jim Airey had been bumped into the fence by Geoff Penniket who then dropped out due to e.f.

Blimey BL65-you must have attended a whole pile of meetings in 1965-how many do you reckon?

I would have thought there were a few in 1955...

All the best

Rob

Sorry Lucifer- just looked at the 1955 results for the Hammers and though they finished bottom- there didn't seem to be any blowouts along the lines of others mentioned here. -so reckon CHR and norbold have a point here.

I would have thought there were a few in 1955...

All the best

Rob

They weren't my team then.

That's an easy one . Away to Edinburgh in the league in June 2010 . There was rumours we were average fixing to fit in Joe Screen , but I thought " no , we wouldn't do that " .

But what followed was the most embarrassing two hours in my speedway supporting life . I lost count at the number of riders having an ( ef ) at the tapes and riders pulling up with bike problems .

The culmination was the most farcical heat 15 ever . James Grieves crawled away from the tapes , Matthew Wethers ( Edinburgh were well aware of what we were up to by this point ) followed him and when James pulled onto the grass , Wethers followed suit . That left Travis McGowan for us and Kalle Katajisto for them , couple of laps into the race Katajisto falls leaving McGowan unsure whether to finish , but he did and the resulting Glasgow 3-0 ( although we got well hammered ) mucked up calculations somewhat .

But the whole meeting left a sour taste in the mouths of both sets of fans who were in attendance that sorry night and I hope I never see anything like it again .

Blimey BL65-you must have attended a whole pile of meetings in 1965-how many do you reckon?

It varied from two to four meetings per week in those days, around 80 meetings in 1965. As more tracks opened over the years it was sometimes up to six in a week at times.

That's great BL65- I managed over 30 in 65, but sadly had no transport (or money)-did you keep all the programmes (like me)-which tracks did you go to on a regular basis- I would guess CH and Wolves and maybe Coventry- a lucky guy indeed. Did you get to all of the tracks at one time or another in 1965? I'd forgotten Plant was in the Leicester team in 1968-any memories of Malcolm Shakespeare spring to mind? Seeing the six tracks a week makes me think I should have stayed in the UK for a few more years.

It varied from two to four meetings per week in those days, around 80 meetings in 1965. As more tracks opened over the years it was sometimes up to six in a week at times.

Used to visit Cowley and White City every week during the middle seventies and Swindon every so often...that's without the away matches thrown in for good measure.

Swindon losing 49-29 at home to Cradley, but Crumpie getting 15 point max. Swindon fans on the greyhound track chanting Crumpies name.

A 2004 thumping at Belle Vue was depressing with only 3 races won, by Adams twice, and Gjedde.

The 2007 collapse at Coventry in the Grand Final ranks among the worst.

Edited by beefy keefy
  • Like 1

Some glum Robins fans on this. This'll cheer you up.

Turned up at Blunsdon to watch the Aces in 85, only to discover they were minus Mort and PC. They were away on long track business and as it was LT, we couldn't have any guests. So we just promoted a couple of juniors. Predictably we were absolutely hammered. Swindon got 60 odd, I can recall one of the Chessells having a great night. Long journey for not a lot to shout about.

Some glum Robins fans on this. This'll cheer you up.

Turned up at Blunsdon to watch the Aces in 85, only to discover they were minus Mort and PC. They were away on long track business and as it was LT, we couldn't have any guests. So we just promoted a couple of juniors. Predictably we were absolutely hammered. Swindon got 60 odd, I can recall one of the Chessells having a great night. Long journey for not a lot to shout about.

Falcace can you remember when PC and Mort got a hatfull at the Abbey ?i think it was 1980?.I am sure they had R/R for Derek Richardsson Maxfield rode as well.

Falcace can you remember when PC and Mort got a hatfull at the Abbey ?i think it was 1980?.I am sure they had R/R for Derek Richardsson Maxfield rode as well.

...remember when Gordon Kennet scored a 21 point maximum and Kai Niemi 19 riding for Eastbourne at Swindon...and they still lost!

...remember when Gordon Kennet scored a 21 point maximum and Kai Niemi 19 riding for Eastbourne at Swindon...and they still lost!

Yes i can remember that over a period Eastbourne had some terrible travelling teams. ie) Slabon, Ring, Klinberg,Hammarburg, Richetto, Johansson,Columbo that class of import.

Is the Slabon you mention the Pole Robert Slabon??If so he got to a World Final, he now lives in Canada and I saw him ride at Welland Ontario-he looked pretty good compared to the opposition he faced here!!

• Like 1

Is the Slabon you mention the Pole Robert Slabon??If so he got to a World Final, he now lives in Canada and I saw him ride at Welland Ontario-he looked pretty good compared to the opposition he faced here!!

Yes that's the one...his son, Chris, also rode under dual nationality.

Yes he reached the 79 world final was used to big Polish tracks yet he ended up at Arlington strange.

Ellesmere Port v Mildenhall 1981 Knock Out Cup.

I recall that my beloved Gunners getting hammered at home in the first leg by 64-32, the return leg was staged 2 days later with the Gunners suffering a even larger trashing of 76-20 (in that season the National League decided to stage KO matches over 16 heats with no tactical subs allowed !) Total aggregate score was 140-52 !

Oddly towards the end of the season the Gunners then walloped the Fen Tigers 55-23 in the home league fixture !!!

Edited by steve19620