British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

Worst Ever Performance By Your Team

No question for me-in October 1965- in a 13 heat BL league meeting-the one and only Newport Wasps( who'd had a pretty good season) went down 64-14 at Wolves-I think it may have been the last meeting of the season-what made it worse was it occurred on my birthday while I was in sick bay with mumps-this is the story of my life!!

I can't say that it was the worst performance overall - as we did fight back to get a draw - but watching the Dons go 16 points down after 4 heats in the 1989 KOC semi against Poole was pretty horrifying! Funny thing is, we - the "Pit Bend Loonies" - never lost faith, and kept behind the team 110%; we even had a neutral send a letter to the SS the following week commending the Wimbledon team AND fans on the fighting spirit we showed!

A particularly depressing performance I witnessed was at Halifax in 1982 (I think), when we showed absolutely no fight (we held an emergency meeting of the supporters' club in the Shay Hotel afterwards!)...

Steve

No question for me-in October 1965- in a 13 heat BL league meeting-the one and only Newport Wasps( who'd had a pretty good season) went down 64-14 at Wolves-I think it may have been the last meeting of the season-what made it worse was it occurred on my birthday while I was in sick bay with mumps-this is the story of my life!!

It may well have been the worst result for Newport Bob, but possibly not the worst performance. Wolves were in an outstanding run of home form at that time, with a group of riders that peaked at the same time. From 20th August to the end of the season they rode and won eight home matches, including five in the league. They beat Swindon 54-24 (although Briggs was missing for the Robins), Poole 50-28, Cradley Heath 65-31, Wimbledon (who finished second in the league) 50-28, West Ham (league champions) 52-26, Newport 64-14, Glasgow 56-21 (with Charlie Monk dropping 5 points) and Hackney 44-34. Jim Airey missed the last two meetings, having returned to Australia and number 9 rider Paul Sharples was brought into the team. Wimbledon and West Ham were both at full strength. Newport never had a chance against the might of the Wolves team on that October evening. Even though the scores were one-sided I recall that the quality of the racing was good.

The Wolves heat leaders performed well enough in those eight meetings, with Peter Jarman averaging 8.52, Bob Andrews 9.09 and Jim Airey 9.76. James Bond rode in one of the meetings at reserve to average 12.00 and Brian Maxted, riding mainly as reserve, averaged 8.52. The second strings were in a rich vein of form at Monmore in this run of matches, with Gordon Guasco averaging 9.25, Tommy Sweetman 10.55 and Cyril Francis 10.67. The Wasps had no answer when up against that Wolverhampton team. In October Wolves also went to Exeter and thrashed the home team 48-30, the only home league defeat of the season for the Falcons. 15 full or paid maximums were recorded in the last eight home meetings, three of them by Cyril Francis.

Edited by BL65

Obviously not my team,but possibly the worst score i ever saw at a speedway meeting was my visit across the river to see England take on Poland in the first test at Hackney.England gained a 5-1 in every heat apart from the second to last when unfortunately Ray Wilson fell and was escluded.Plech for Poland was also excluded so the heat finished 3-2 to England and Poland managed to avoid an embarassing score line :P

details thanks to Brian Collins internationalspeedway site

1st Test at Hackney 12th July 1974
Ht 1: Wilson, Thomas, Jancarz, Filipiak (f exc) 66.4 5-1 5-1
Ht 2: Louis, Betts, Plach, Glucklich 66.6 5-1 10-2
Ht 3: Jessup, Collins, Mucha, Fabiszewski 67.0 5-1 15-3
Ht 4: Louis, Betts, Jancarz, Waloszek 65.2 5-1 20-4
Ht 5: Collins, Jessup, Plech, Glucklich 68.0 5-1 25-5
Ht 6: Thomas, Wilson, Fabiszewski, Mucha 68.0 5-1 30-6
Ht 7: Jessup, Collins, Jancarz, Waloszek 67.2 5-1 35-7
Ht 8: Thomas, Wilson, Plech, Glucklich 67.0 5-1 40-8
Ht 9: Louis, Betts, Mucha, Fabiszewski 65.8 5-1 45-9
Ht 10: Wilson, Thomas, Jancarz, Waloszek 67.0 5-1 50-10
Ht 11: Louis, Betts, Glucklich, Plech 66.8 5-1 55-11
Ht 12: Collins, Jessup, Fabiszewski, Mucha 67.2 5-1 60-12
Ht 13: Louis, Betts, Jancarz, Waloszek 66.8 5-1 65-13
Ht 14: Jessup, Collins, Glucklich, Plech 67.0 5-1 70-14
Ht 15: Wilson, Thomas, Mucha, Fabiszewski (f exc) 67.2 5-1 75-15
Ht 16: Collins, Jessup, Jancarz, Waloszek 67.0 5-1 80-16
Ht 17: Thomas, Glucklich, Plech (f exc), Wilson (f exc) 67.2 3-2 83-18
Ht 18: Louis, Betts, Mucha, Waloszek 66.8 5-1 88-19

Edited by iris123

1983 Midland cup semi final Cradley v Swindon 60-18 a real battering the Heathens were a great side.For Swindon i think Crump got 9 of the total.?If i remember right it was a double header with Belle Vue on first ( i remember Scarisbrick riding) i think Belle Vue scored 21 points.?

1980 Spring Gold Cup Hackney 20 King's Lynn 57. Even Lynn's reserve Pete Smith scored a max, while Bo Petersen top scored for the Hawks with 6.

I suppose it could've been a good thing, because it spurred us on to our best league finish!

Obviously not my team,but possibly the worst score i ever saw at a speedway meeting was my visit across the river to see England take on Poland in the first test at Hackney.England gained a 5-1 in every heat apart from the second to last when unfortunately Ray Wilson fell and was escluded.Plech for Poland was also excluded so the heat finished 3-2 to England and Poland managed to avoid an embarassing score line :P

details thanks to Brian Collins internationalspeedway site

1st Test at Hackney 12th July 1974
Ht 1: Wilson, Thomas, Jancarz, Filipiak (f exc) 66.4 5-1 5-1
Ht 2: Louis, Betts, Plach, Glucklich 66.6 5-1 10-2
Ht 3: Jessup, Collins, Mucha, Fabiszewski 67.0 5-1 15-3
Ht 4: Louis, Betts, Jancarz, Waloszek 65.2 5-1 20-4
Ht 5: Collins, Jessup, Plech, Glucklich 68.0 5-1 25-5
Ht 6: Thomas, Wilson, Fabiszewski, Mucha 68.0 5-1 30-6
Ht 7: Jessup, Collins, Jancarz, Waloszek 67.2 5-1 35-7
Ht 8: Thomas, Wilson, Plech, Glucklich 67.0 5-1 40-8
Ht 9: Louis, Betts, Mucha, Fabiszewski 65.8 5-1 45-9
Ht 10: Wilson, Thomas, Jancarz, Waloszek 67.0 5-1 50-10
Ht 11: Louis, Betts, Glucklich, Plech 66.8 5-1 55-11
Ht 12: Collins, Jessup, Fabiszewski, Mucha 67.2 5-1 60-12
Ht 13: Louis, Betts, Jancarz, Waloszek 66.8 5-1 65-13
Ht 14: Jessup, Collins, Glucklich, Plech 67.0 5-1 70-14
Ht 15: Wilson, Thomas, Mucha, Fabiszewski (f exc) 67.2 5-1 75-15
Ht 16: Collins, Jessup, Jancarz, Waloszek 67.0 5-1 80-16
Ht 17: Thomas, Glucklich, Plech (f exc), Wilson (f exc) 67.2 3-2 83-18
Ht 18: Louis, Betts, Mucha, Waloszek 66.8 5-1 88-19

That scoreline would probably be reversed today. (Unless Woffinden could be arsed to ride!)

In 1978 when White City were beaten at home by Ipswich in the 2nd leg of the KO Cup 23-54!

Although White City's away record that season still stood up well their home record was showing signs of impending doom...and so it proved with the imminent closure of speedway at Wood Lane. Sad occasion for me as I used to enjoy my visits to White City.

That scoreline would probably be reversed today. (Unless Woffinden could be arsed to ride!)

Sad to say,but i think you are spot on

Seen Swindon thumped many times. It's all part of being a Robins fan.

The one performance that stands out for me as truly dreadful is NOT losing 21-56 to home to Oxford because if I said that it would set Rob Peasley off agan. (Plus Oxford were all conquering anyway at that time so it was expected we would lose)

No. The worst for me is losing the 2007 play-offs at Coventry after going into a 10 point lead with a 5-1 in the first heat. I just remember standing there towards the end watching Coventry in front time after time and wanting the ground to swallow me up.

• Like 2

It has to be 1998, Poole 27 Ipswich 63, during Ipswich's all conquering season. Yes, they were very strong but Poole were awful that night.

The one performance that stands out for me as truly dreadful is NOT losing 21-56 to home to Oxford because if I said that it would set Rob Peasley off agan. (Plus Oxford were all conquering anyway at that time so it was expected we would lose)

It wasn't expected that you'd lose by as many as 21-56 though. What a night!!!!!!!!! :D Oxford went into the meeting needing just 21 points to clinch the bonus point to win the league. We never through for a minute that the Robins would finish the 13 races on 21 points. And that Per Sorensen would get a paid max on his return to the team who sacked him earlier that year. (Sorry Grachan, you seem to have set me off anyway :wink: )

Mine is Oxford 28 Coventry 64 from early 2007. Live on Sky. Utterly embarrassing.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 1

It wasn't expected that you'd lose by as many as 21-56 though. What a night!!!!!!!!! :D Oxford went into the meeting needing just 21 points to clinch the bonus point to win the league. We never through for a minute that the Robins would finish the 13 races on 21 points. And that Per Sorensen would get a paid max on his return to the team who sacked him earlier that year. (Sorry Grachan, you seem to have set me off anyway :wink: )

Mine is Oxford 28 Coventry 64 from early 2007. Live on Sky. Utterly embarrassing.

All the best

Rob

We got the tactics wrong. We thought WE only needed to get 21 points to STOP you winning the league.

• Like 2

West Ham put in a poor performance?...never! :rofl:

• Like 1

West Ham put in a poor performance?...never! :rofl:

Very well put, chr. I have been trying to rack my brains thinking of one but so far none come to mind!
  • Like 1

Very well put, chr. I have been trying to rack my brains thinking of one but so far none come to mind!

I would have thought there were a few in 1955...

All the best

Rob

• Like 1