British Speedway Forum

Hi

First off sorry I'm sure this has been asked & covered many times however I will ask the question.

My first season of watching speedway was 1989 so I missed the golden years of the early 1980's.

However being off work for a few weeks I have found some of the racing from the late 1970's & early to mid 1980's interesting to watch.

One of the big things that struck me was the amount of movement at the starts this I think seems to add something to proceedings.

However the question is having just watched the complete 1981 World Final from Wembley how did the sport in the Uk go from 93500 people packed into Wembley to its present state?

For one reason, we had riders like Bruce Penhall.

• Like 1

Difficult to know where to start really!

Tbf we still get close to 40,000 at Cardiff, and that does not reflect back to league racing. So whilst there was 90,000 plus, how many of them went weekly to their local team.

I honestly feel if we had a world championship level meeting in one of Londons big stadiums it would be close to a sell out.

Tbf we still get close to 40,000 at Cardiff, and that does not reflect back to league racing. So whilst there was 90,000 plus, how many of them went weekly to their local team.

I honestly feel if we had a world championship level meeting in one of Londons big stadiums it would be close to a sell out.

Haha...really

Edited by Shrimmy
  • Like 1

Hi

First off sorry I'm sure this has been asked & covered many times however I will ask the question.

My first season of watching speedway was 1989 so I missed the golden years of the early 1980's.

However being off work for a few weeks I have found some of the racing from the late 1970's & early to mid 1980's interesting to watch.

One of the big things that struck me was the amount of movement at the starts this I think seems to add something to proceedings.

However the question is having just watched the complete 1981 World Final from Wembley how did the sport in the Uk go from 93500 people packed into Wembley to its present state?

There were actually around 70,000 of us at Wembley in 1981 - it wasn't a sell-out. Certainly not 93,500 - that was above the capacity of the stadium at the time ;)

No final after 1952 was a complete sell-out.

But yes, the sport has shifted back a couple of gears since 1981.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam

What went wrong is that over the last twenty years or so the majority of promoters have adopted a head in the sand attitude and never ever thought about developing the sport in the way that fans wanted to see it being run. I heard in the past that a number of promoters said " we have always done it like that and that's OK". Clearly it is not if nearly all tracks are slipping towards average crowds in three figures and not four! What is on sale regularly now is 5 mins of thrilling passing ( if you are lucky i.e. five heats ) 10 mins of processional heats - all taking two to three hours to happen. No mystery about why few new fans are attracted and retained. Modern bikes make the first away, wins an even more of a certainty. If the BSPA want the sport to survive in some professional form they need to listen to and respond to fan's feedback. I can hear Roy Orbison singing THAT song - " It's Over".

• Like 5

There were actually around 70,000 of us at Wembley in 1981 - it wasn't a sell-out. Certainly not 93,500 - that was above the capacity of the stadium at the time ;)

All the best

Rob

Does anyone know the actual Gate at the 1972 World Final please.

Just out of intertest.

Does anyone know the actual Gate at the 1972 World Final please.

Just out of intertest.

It's around the 70,000 mark for the majority of the latter finals. I think 1978 was the largest - that was not far from capacity.

I'm trying to recall where the article about it was...

It was quite interesting that only four post-war finals (1949-1952) were complete sell-outs.

All the best

Rob

• Like 1

It's around the 70,000 mark for the majority of the latter finals. I think 1978 was the largest - that was not far from capacity.

I'm trying to recall where the article about it was...

It was quite interesting that only four post-war finals (1949-1952) were complete sell-outs.

All the best

Rob

Cheers Rob. :t::approve: :approve:

The sport refused to evolve and when it did the old folk cried, "but its always been done like that, we don't like change" so they reverted back to the old way. Then they wondered why the sport had started dying whne it had done nothing in terms of presentation to drag it along to modern times.

For one reason, we had riders like Bruce Penhall.

have to agree, he definitely put me off speedway a bit ;)

• Like 2

Nutshell: each time speedway shoots itself in the foot it loses people, often never to return; newbies and eventually the die-hards. One example (name delated) a club opened to a crowd of near 9,000 but various fall- outs, late meeting call offs, electrical failures, meets cancelled late, 'rain offs' on sunny days, people admitted on wet nites then "sorry folk, but the weather has beaten us" - newbies don't get the 'readmission after 9 heats or whatever' rule, etc, etc. Well eventually the club ends up performing before 600 people. OK, the afore-mentioned situations can occur any time but in real terms the club in question (name still deleted) 'lost' over 8,000 in 20 years or so. The answer: I'd be rich beyond my wildest dreams if I knew it. Just my 2p worth....

Edited by Martin Mauger
  • Like 1

All the best

Rob

A couple of gears, its almost in reverse..

Edited by Starman2006

The sport refused to evolve and when it did the old folk cried, "but its always been done like that, we don't like change" so they reverted back to the old way. Then they wondered why the sport had started dying whne it had done nothing in terms of presentation to drag it along to modern times.

To be fair, 'old folk' (like me) were not keen on dirt deflectors, laid down engines, the GP world championship system, but they happened and still speedway struggles. What changes has speedway tried to implement, but reverted back to the 'old ways'? (Scratching my head!)

• Like 1