British Speedway Forum

Recorded the event to watch when I got home from work and the frickin recording ended just before the final ???? FUMING!!!!

Mine too. BT recording often does this.

It's pretty obvious when a sporting event is going to finish past the time it's scheduled to, so I don't see why they can't extend it before that time and save people from missing the end. In this case the time got changed to 10.30 after 10 but it was obviously too late by then.

THE guys providing the coverage for BT are doing so on a very limited budget. A fraction of what Sky spent.

Edited by PHILIPRISING
  • Like 1

THE guys providing the coverage for BT are doing so on a very limited budget.

If it is a limited budget - why two people in pits and two in booth? - at least one too many

If it is a limited budget - why two people in pits and two in booth? - at least one too many

If Tatum and Pearson are two of those then there are two too many

• Like 6

Doesn't Steve Brandon also act as floor manager or whatever they are called at outdoor events? So I'm not sure which of the other three you could drop....although I know my preference

If Tatum and Pearson are two of those then there are two too many

I thought the chat between Nat and Kelvin was excellent and showed that they BOTH know their speedway, the other guy, seems to me, has verbal diarrhea,

for instance, why, in the space of 20 seconds, does he have to tell us TWICE ,it is in Manchester?

Nothing wrong with the graphics, they showed who was in each heat and kept the scores up to date. If they can be improved great but not a big issue.

The issue was the camera following the leader and not the racing in a fair few heats, however that will hopefully be picked up on by those at BT and improved upon over time.

Sporting events run over, other than those that have a specific time frame, I.E. Football and Rugby, sports such as Tennis, Cricket and Darts can all run over time, or under if they reach their conclusion quickly. I didn't think the meeting was run that slowly, I've seen far worse for certain. Annoying if you're recording it for sure but that's the nature of the beast.

It's good to have racing back on TV and hope that it gets a big audience on BT each week.

• Like 3

I was surprised at the camera work, especially the main home straight camera which was too wide and yet still managed to miss races for minor positions. I thought from flagrag's postings that this was going to be the same crew as from the Sky coverage, just smaller. I had this problem back in the eighties of teaching cameramen new to the sport that it wasn't just about the winner so it's nothing new, just a case for education.

I thought the commentary was a little less 'hard sell' than with Sky, which is the BT house style, as were the graphics. Judging coverage by its graphics does seem to be the same as voting for someone with the nicest clothes.....

As for over-running, I'm not familiar with the Sky boxes but on Virgin's Tivo any time you select a recording of a live event you are offered the chance to manually extend the recording by up to 3 hours. Equally, if you set up a series link you can manually add an over-run. The problem is not usually the broadcaster's but Sky or Virgin failing to update their programme guides which are what the recording timers work from. Just extend your recording or record the following programme. It isn't rocket science.

As for presentation Natalie Quirk and Steve Brandon were worlds away from the cute young girl, just doing speedway as a stepping stone to better things. Both know their stuff thoroughly and the final interview with Craig Cook, including his proud walk up to the interview poit with his trophy was superb.

Yes commentators and presenters make the odd slip in nearly three hours of live coverage. Yes they will repeat themselves occasionally. Apart from the usual cranks the fact that the main bitching is about mentioning Kyle Howarth's local origins perhaps tells all.

Significantly I see nobody's mentioning Pearson's repeated efforts to get people through the gates for next week's meeting at Poole, with frequent mentions of the under-11 concessions. Perhaps that doesn't suit their agenda?

The graphics were BT house style by the way....

It was a start but the bigger test will be with the league matches. I enjoy BT Sport's work generally , which I find much more like the BBC's authoritative coverage and wasn't let down last night. The camera work can be simply corrected.

Looking on from the sidelines it looks like this is a test sea\son on both sides, BSPA and BT and I hope it works because I do suspect that this is the 'last chance'. Hopefully it'll succeed and we'll get a long-term, full-season and financial commitment from BT. It's very much in the BSPA's hands. They have to work for the money.

It was good to have coverage that assumed the viewer could think for themselves instead of the relentless hard sell of Sky.

• Like 7

Heres a chance for you scb. Design up some quality graphics and email them to BT. They can only so no and might say yes. Worst case scenario is a waste of a few hours work.

BT in-house stuff. Wouldn't get a look in, sadly.

The two people in the pits and the commentary box are probably only a fraction of the cost. Equipment cost far more than people. They'll have also only been a small percentage of the people working on it.

I saw nothing wrong with the graphics to be honest. Maybe they were basic, but they gave out the required information and that is all that is required.

Yes, so really good graphics might give a "wow" factor to the presentation if done well, but I'd rather have the basic information there than hae them try too hard and come up with some OTT graphics that become intrusive.

I thought the coverage was fine, with the only negative being the panning to the winner crossing the finishing line while there was still a race for minor placings.

Presentation was good. Much better to have knowledgeable interviewers than the Grand Prix interviewer who just asks everyone how they are feeling about whatever just happened.

Recorded the event to watch when I got home from work and the frickin recording ended just before the final ???? FUMING!!!!

Surely it's obvious for a 22 race meeting that you need to record the following programme as well? I always do that.

• Like 1

Surely it's obvious for a 22 race meeting that you need to record the following programme as well? I always do that.

No it wasn't. Normally, when a programme over-runs, so does the recording. Clearly BT Sport doesn't do this, so in future it's something to remember to do, but it wasn't obvious at all.

I only saw two problems with the coverage to be honest.

1. The camera work wasn't great, just focusing on the leader won't show if there's any passes by the 3rd and 4th rider which means if it's a great pass, no one at home saw it. If there was a way to show all 4 riders, that would be better than just 2.

2. The only problem I had with the graphics was that on two occasions the wrong rider name came up while they were at the tapes, which led to a bit of confusion. I recognised the rider kevlars, but for newer fans to the sport it would be harder for them to figure out. Other than that, it displayed the right stuff most of the time.

Overall though, the coverage was decent. I would rather have some coverage rather than none.

Mine taped the whole show including the interviews after, I've got BT on the sky platform, no understand why others had problems

• Like 1