British Speedway Forum
Chairboy

There Can Be Beauty In Simplicity...

The old tac sub rule was dropped for 2 reasons

1 the promoters couldn`t afford it

2 the 2nd strings and reserves earnings were suffering because of being taken out of rides(sometimes their easiest as well) and they just couldn`t make speedway pay,

• Like 2

2 the 2nd strings and reserves earnings were suffering because of being taken out of rides(sometimes their easiest as well) and they just couldn`t make speedway pay,

Sound arguments.

So it is more cost effective to

1. Piss off a vast majority of the average punter with "It's a Knockout" rules.

2. Lose meetings because you have no real opportunity to win them.

• Like 2

All correct.

1. For the promoters benefit.

2. For the riders benefit.

Which are the only people to consider.

No one else counts.

• Like 3

Without both- we wouldn`t have speedway.

You probably wouldn't have it without Paying Customers either.

So it is a three way thing, not a two way thing.

Though you wouldn't think it.

The last thing to be considered, if they are considered at all, are the Customers.

I know this from experience.

• Like 1

You probably wouldn't have it without Paying Customers either.

So it is a three way thing, not a two way thing.

Though you wouldn't think it.

The last thing to be considered, if they are considered at all, are the Customers.

I know this from experience.

It`s so easy to blame the promoters for everything wrong in the sport today. they have done things for the punters, like giving us 15 competitive heats, instead of the farce that the 2nd halves became.

It`s so easy to blame the promoters for everything wrong in the sport today. they have done things for the punters, like giving us 15 competitive heats, instead of the farce that the 2nd halves became.

That is one opinion - oh - and they did it to save money - not as you suggest for us.

It is not my opinion either.

• Like 1

That is one opinion - oh - and they did it to save money - not as you suggest for us.

It is not my opinion either.

So putting on 2 extra heats in the main match, saved them money over the 2nd half- I don`t think so !!!

• Like 2

So putting on 2 extra heats in the main match, saved them money over the 2nd half- I don`t think so !!!

They gave us three less races.

and eastbourne!

...not during their British League 2/National League days!

Without both- we wouldn`t have speedway.

How trite.

And so representative of exactly the attitude that has got to where we are today.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 1

All correct.

1. For the promoters benefit.

2. For the riders benefit.

Which are the only people to consider.

No one else counts.

Of course not. But to even suggest that fans interests absolutely override those of everything else is nonsense.

It doesn't take a lot of working out to know that the additional costs of tactical substitutes over tactical rides would be huge - its not unreasonable to suggest that just one race could cost £500 or more.

Which of us would advocate that the sport take on tens of thousands of pounds worth of additional costs at a point that most speedway tracks are loss making and some are on the brink ? Quite a few, it seems, and to me they are out of touch with reality.

On cost grounds alone, the replacement of tactical substitutes with tactical rides was both correct and necessary.

Having said that, I really haven't missed tactical changes in NL meetings this season so maybe there is a case for scrapping them altogether.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 1

I did not say that I wanted the old tac sub rules reinstated today. It's time has passed.

I did not say that I wanted the fans interests to override everything else.

The double point tactical ride was a ridiculous invention at its point of creation.

And it still is today.

The introduction of the match points system was a brilliant way of dealing with the issue of keeping interest in matches going.

The 'Joker' should never have had a place in a serious sport.

• Like 1