British Speedway Forum
Dave Stummings

British Speedway 2018

I never mentioned the word "chosen." This month is filled with pointless and frequently rained-off fixtures that were never rearranged for earlier dates because of rider (un)availability. You recently had a fixture where one team had six guests and R/R, partly because two riders were on holiday and one was out of the country, that couldn't be arranged earlier because riders weren't available and ironically was rained-off anyway.

I'm still unclear what your "100% support" constitutes. Riders have gone on holiday, presumably because they consider the play-off finals to be the end of the season? Are you going to ban riders from going on holiday until after the documented end date of the season (31st October) even though the league has effectively been completed up to three weeks earlier?

I'm still unclear what your "100% support" constitutes. Riders have gone on holiday, presumably because they consider the play-off finals to be the end of the season? Are you going to ban riders from going on holiday until after the documented end date of the season (31st October) even though the league has effectively been completed up to three weeks earlier?

If the club to which they are contracted still has fixtures outstanding . . . . YES!

• Like 3

The British speedway season runs from March 15th to October 31st. If certain tracks wish to close early and have their end of season booze-ups during the season then that is their choice, but they cannot dictate when others finish their fixtures providing they fall within those dates.

Perhaps the greatest indicator of the present weakness of the sport here is that whereas in the past tracks staged as many meetings as possible through that period now the aim seems to be reversed, with it appears a record low being targetted next year if an 11 match home season is introduced in the Premiership. From over 30 to a dozen . That's how far speedway here really has fallen.

• Like 2

Belle vue are the last club to run two teams. I'd be surprised if that number increases. In most cases, more meetings means more losses.

I'd be surprised if the Colts lost money given the gates they get..

There is a wealth of talent coming through at BV now and the national league is instrumental in this,and long may it continue.

After a very late night and a longer than usual lie-in I think I may have woken up in 'cloud-cuckoo' land!!!

For far too many years the BSPA Championship clubs (with the help of a Championship promoter as Chairman) have outnumbered and often out voted their Premiership colleagues on a number of important issues!!! One example, when the 'draft reserve' system was introduced to 'weaken' the top league, the then Elite clubs proposed a reduction in admission prices to reflect the 'weaker' product. This was out voted by the then PL clubs who were in some cases only charging £1 less than the Elite clubs but who said they couldn't afford to drop their prices.

The '2-Brit' reserves should have been first adopted by the Championship clubs - but yet again NO - it was up to the Premiership teams to 'bite that particular bullet'!

Finally, despite all the doom and gloom merchants - how many Premiership/Elite clubs have disappeared by going bust in recent years, as against the number of Championship/PL clubs threatening to do so?!

Only a mug believes that. Why did most of them put their prices up the following year then? And theres no rule about how much clubs charge, they can charge what they like.

This is one of them bull$hit stories where someone tries to blame someone else when the fans have a go at them for weakening the product and upping the cost.

well Leicester have signed a big world star so that means there won't be one big league

it won't even be considered

it won't even be talked about

same old same old and another big nail in the coffin if next season is anything like this one.

Edited by ch958
  • Like 2

well Leicester have signed a big world star so that means there won't be one big league

it won't even be considered

it won't even be talked about

same old same old and another big nail in the coffin if next season is anything like this one.

It would have been a catastrophic bigger nail if the 2 nights big league, with big riders returning, was the only thing on offer apart from the NL. There are poor clubs and some richer ones, and they all could not have afforded to hire 1 big hitter each.

• Like 2

It would have been a catastrophic bigger nail if the 2 nights big league, with big riders returning, was the only thing on offer apart from the NL. There are poor clubs and some richer ones, and they all could not have afforded to hire 1 big hitter each.

big hitters mean nothing to me - if they went those who remain would be big hitters

and they'd turn up every week

• Like 1

big hitters mean nothing to me - if they went those who remain would be big hitters

and they'd turn up every week

Maybe - but would the fans turn up every week? Isn't it the clubs without 'big hitters' ie the Championship clubs that are complaining most about dropping attendances and even closing in some cases?

Thing is only those that attend or watch speedway on tv on a regular basis are aware of who these international big name riders are. Speedway supporters might be getting excited about Vaculík signing for Leicester however I doubt that 99% of the UK population would have any Idea who he is. Point being that the product needs to be right to attract newcomers big names won't achieve that.

Thing is only those that attend or watch speedway on tv on a regular basis are aware of who these international big name riders are. Speedway supporters might be getting excited about Vaculík signing for Leicester however I doubt that 99% of the UK population would have any Idea who he is. Point being that the product needs to be right to attract newcomers big names won't achieve that.

It gives something more to promote.

Leicester can now go out and promote that they have a rider from the worlds top ten.

Newbies are far more likely to take notice of an announcement of that ilk.

Of course when they turn up they then have to be entralled by whats offered and feel inclined to come back.

• Like 1

Maybe - but would the fans turn up every week? Isn't it the clubs without 'big hitters' ie the Championship clubs that are complaining most about dropping attendances and even closing in some cases?

yeah - there's pros and cons - for me I just want 18 to 20 teams of equalish strength and stable line ups

who knows really - it might kick start the sport, might kill it

yeah - there's pros and cons - for me I just want 18 to 20 teams of equalish strength and stable line ups

who knows really - it might kick start the sport, might kill it

Like you I would like to see I big League ,but it's not going to happen,just the same rubbish as before IMO .Cant see fixed nights solving many problems.
  • Like 1