British Speedway Forum

No. 100% not. I don't believe any rider have ever spent a prolonged period getting his average down. I can well believe that that the odd rider has fiddled the odd meeting (I've seen Chris Harris do it when it was rumoured their would be one 8+ rider only in 2008 so he averaged 7.99 :D) and the odd meeting has been thrown by a club once they have nothing to gain (Poole at Oxford circa-2005) but James Sarjeant had nothing to gain. Why would he spend a season dropping points (and losing money) so he could fit into another team the following season? It's totally illogical.

James is a confidence rider. Anyone who has watched him will know he goes through good spells and bad spells. When referees start calling back his good and fair starts (and I accept some were a bit suspect) it probably got to him. If he makes a good start it's pulled back and if he doesn't he's at the back and he doesn't exactly have the greatest of ability when coming from the back. After a while that is going to ruin his confidence.

Two good signings IMO. Harris will always make up in effort and entertainment what he may lack in points some days. 10 years watching him ride for Coventry home and away and I can only ever remember one time I left a meeting angry with him (poor meeting at Lakeside in the KOC but he wasnt never that good there) but I also think theres some significant improvement in his average if he can settle at Glasgow and ride it will. His home/away split is very neutral at the moment - but then it often has been throughout his career, the positive there is that he scores well away (just not really at Lakeside!)

As for Sarj, he had a terrible year in 2017. When you consider in '15 he got 5+ at reserve and then in '16 he got 5+ as a second string (at a different track) then realistically his level is that of a 5+ rider, so starting in reserve on 3.2(?) he can add 2-3 points to that depending on if he stays in reserve of moves into the 1-5 and thats without any improvement. Throw in that he's not going to have 30% of his races called back and he could find another 1-2 point a meeting from that too! HE could IMO hit a 7 point average in 2018. Good luck to him, I have a soft spot for James, I don't know why because as a rider he is quite flawed but I really like him, probably because I feel hes been hard done by with regards to referees.

If the rules are relaxed over starting procedures,I would likes to see any who touches the tapes excluded with no replacement,that would soon sort out tape touchers and give the other Team an advantage for the misdomeaner.
  • Like 6

Exactly this. The jealousy and bitterness towards Glasgow is tedious, the way the club is run and promoted is an example for others to follow, all people want to do is snipe because they may pay more than their own club, utterly boring.

I'd also suggest that injuries had an awful lot to do with them not going much closer to the league title last year.

All good and well but no other club has the finances available like Glasgow to run or promote their club in the way they do. Taking nothing away from the job they are doing but no all clubs can afford to promote their clubs on such big scales.

All good and well but no other club has the finances available like Glasgow to run or promote their club in the way they do. Taking nothing away from the job they are doing but no all clubs can afford to promote their clubs on such big scales.

So that makes it ok for you and others to have your snide digs, as has been said jealousy is a terrible thing and some of the digs towards Glasgow show how pathetic posters like you and others really are.

Thankfully it is you and others that seem to have the problem with it, why only you can answer that.

• Like 2

Glasgow are Promoting the sport in aProfessional manner,and should be applauded,they can only build their Team to the points limit irrespective of what they want to pay their riders,I certainly don't have a problem with that.They have not had a lot of major success in the last 2 seasons with their so called "big money riders" which proves how fickle the sport is with injuries etc.Teams on paper doesn't mean everything in this sport.Plenty riders have " followed the money" in their career and good luck to them if it works out.Other Teams would do they same if in the position the Tigers find themselves in.Lets face it Edinburgh have always had some " high profile signings" over the years,and it certainly not the attendances the pay their wages.Its Sponsership .
  • Like 4

Im not having a go about team building and how much they pay riders. Doesnt effect my team.

Its the everyone should look at Glasgow on how to promote their club and the sport. Yes they are doing it fantastically but no other club can compete in the marketing side of the sport like they can is the point Im trying to make. If all clubs had half the money the have to promote and improve their clubs facilities etc Im pretty sure most clubs would be in far better state than they are in currently.

YOUR OWN CLUB HAS BEEN GIVEN AS REPORTED 50000-00 BY YOUR FANS TRUST OVER THE LAST 3 YEARS.WAS THAT USED TO CLEAR THE OVERSPEND BY YOUR PROMOTION WHEN SURELY IF THEY HAD PAID WHAT THEY COULD AFFORD THAT MONEY COULD HAVE BEEN USED FOR BETTER USE

Edited by MANSE

Im not having a go about team building and how much they pay riders. Doesnt effect my team.

Its the everyone should look at Glasgow on how to promote their club and the sport. Yes they are doing it fantastically but no other club can compete in the marketing side of the sport like they can is the point Im trying to make. If all clubs had half the money the have to promote and improve their clubs facilities etc Im pretty sure most clubs would be in far better state than they are in currently.

Its not all about the money many of the marketing stuff that we do cost nothing just time from a hard working Social Media team. Dead easy to say we don't have the money to do all that and then sit back and do nothing. Even last nights event was funded by the GTSG not the club and after covering all the expenses including flying riders and their partners to Glasgow and putting them up in hotels the GTSG made a profit

• Like 2

So this is our fault how ?. I don't really get where you are going with this is promoting your club and the sport not what you are supposed to do, budgets are budgets as pointed out there is a lot can be done with very little expenditure.

Glasgow were Bewleys' third priority in 2017. He knows where his bread is buttered and its not in our league.

He was told when and where to ride by Belle Vue :oops:

just a quick question , if the starting procedure is to be made easier for riders , how will they do that? as it cant really get any easier than what it is already .

are the putting piano wire across the start gates or transponders on the start line ?y

Edited by jenga

We know, hence he is not expected to be retained. Turned up at Workingtons' end of season dinner allegedly which might hint at his next Championship destination.

I think the BSPA should have the power to ban riders from racing in certain leagues if they believe the rider is talking the p*** out the league.

If Bewley, Lambert, Cook and Holder (for example) were banned from racing in the championship for a certain number of years it would stop other riders from thinking about doing the same.

Craig then provides evidence that his illness is genuine and the ban is removed.

Dan provides evidence he is told when and where to race and then his ban is removed (same with the others mentioned).

It's funny how most of the missed meetings were in the championship.

I think the BSPA should have the power to ban riders from racing in certain leagues if they believe the rider is talking the p*** out the league.

If Bewley, Lambert, Cook and Holder (for example) were banned from racing in the championship for a certain number of years it would stop other riders from thinking about doing the same.

Craig then provides evidence that his illness is genuine and the ban is removed.

Dan provides evidence he is told when and where to race and then his ban is removed (same with the others mentioned).

It's funny how most of the missed meetings were in the championship.

If a rider hands in a sick note for one or two days I believe they should automatically be stood down from racing for seven days. That'll largely make the piss takers think twice but unfortunately will be to the detriment of the odd genuine one. However something needs to be done.

im happy for glasgow fans as they were alwaysgood friendly fans

but now all other clubs have to try compete with the glasgow promotion

which is a negative in the current climet

• Like 1