British Speedway Forum
chunky

Just A Thought...

Yes,for me greatness means winning those heats those meetings that really count.It is a bit skewed to look and say Gollob or maybe even Leigh Adams were more consistent,but when it counted they didn't do the business.Gollob,ok on one ocassion when it looked like he might have won had bad luck and got injured.But it is winning the titles that count as great.

And to say Nielsen was far better than any of his rivals is nonsense again......

...during the middle late eighties he was awesome and if the GP series had been in place then he would have been the man the beat.

A view shared by John Berry.

Edited by steve roberts

Agree Tai Hancock pedersen all in the top 30 of all time and all ahead of gollob.

Gollob for me is one of the greatest single world champs, but Id rank him behind Collins and perhaps Lee, though ahead of the likes of Doyle and Michanek.

Lee and Gollob for me are very similar both had real natual talent but both UNDEACHIEVED and should of achieved more.But when you look back both ended up with decent records in WC competition Gollob in his race with Jimmy Nilsen (what a race) shows him at his very best.Lee/Collins both for me would get in a top 20 they were that good going back to Gollob i was so glad when he won his title because it would of been a travesty if he hadnt.
  • Like 1

His brother Ivor (RIP) was the driving force, along with Barry at Iwade.

Yes, as stated in Lee's book he rode at Weymouth four times only, then at the pre season trials at Swindon and once after the meeting at Oxford and then second half rides at Swindon. He had however practised in a field near Uffington a fair

bit.

...a great read!

It will be interesting to see how Doyle goes next year.Always thought it was a chink in Crumps armour that he looked brilliant at times when winning his titles,but when it came to defending it,he looked a completely different rider

Always seemed to me that winning a title is difficult,but retaining it,even harder

Edited by iris123

All I need to 'recheck' Backtrack for is to be able to provide some examples, as requested. Quite a simple concept.

As for 'knowing it all', rather childish statement. It would be rather foolish to post about something I don't think I am correct on, perhaps this is where you are going wrong?

Sorry about the "childish" statement. You are not a "know-it-all" my friend. Many have already proved that.

Why can't we all get on?

Sorry again. I'll leave you to get your Backtracks out.

Edited by moxey63

It's always educational on here...at varying levels of sustained interest!

However when you've had a chance to check out back numbers of 'Backtrack' I'll be keen to see evidence of your claim that riders with no experience gaining team slots within a number of weeks during the seventies? Some examples would be beneficial.

Think he means King Cinder!

• Like 1

Think he means King Cinder!

Wasn't there a TV drama with that name that was filmed at Rye House starring Peter Duncan during the seventies?

Wasn't there a TV drama with that name that was filmed at Rye House starring Peter Duncan during the seventies?

Yes... and Peter Duncan had no experience but went right into that fictional speedway team. So it did happen in the seventies.

• Like 1

Whatever happened to 'Eating Dust' the Film?

Genuine question.

Yes... and Peter Duncan had no experience but went right into that fictional speedway team. So it did happen in the seventies.

I see your reference to it now...in the latest 'Backtrack' edition awaiting my attention having just got in from work!

So it did Peter Duncan...Didn't help John Noakes or Peter Purvis though!

Genuine question.

Never heard of this one?

Eating dust was a speedway film being filmed some years ago and the producers were on here looking for donations.Just have to do a search as it was all in this section.....think they took the money and ran as the film wasn't heard of since

• Like 1

Eating dust was a speedway film being filmed some years ago and the producers were on here looking for donations.Just have to do a search as it was all in this section.....think they took the money and ran as the film wasn't heard of since

Probably years before I had the good sense to come on here and doing more constructive things with my time...but it'a addictive and some threads prove most interesting...but not all!

Genuine question.

Very good question... I've often wondered about that.

Steve

Edit: just checked back on here, and it was in 2009 when people had started seeing the trailer, and it was supposedly "close" to being released. Then, in 2011, it appears that the production company was dissolved.

Edited by chunky

Very good question... I've often wondered about that.

Steve

Edit: just checked back on here, and it was in 2009 when people had started seeing the trailer, and it was supposedly "close" to being released. So, no idea what happened from there...

Toni Franchitti was going to release it on tape wasn't he?

Edited by moxey63

I loved King Cinder, used to get home from school, even bunking off the odd detention (!) then getting more, the nights it was on TV, Tuesdays or Thursdays if memory serves. Thought Colin Richardson would make good riding double for Peter Duncan. Also many non-speedway fan kids would watch then discuss it the next day, much more than pukka Saturday Afternoon Speedway on World Of Sport....

Edited by Martin Mauger
  • Like 1