British Speedway Forum
jenga

Workington 2018 .

Well I went to Workington twice this season and there wasn’t 300 fans at each meeting, I was very surprised when the BSPA Press Statement stated that all of this season teams would be back next season, the Promoter there is a really nice lady I spoke to her on one of my visits, but she must be losing a hell of a lot of money I really feel sorry for her.

So if what I'm heading is right then it's rip workington speedway.

The bspa should hang there heads in shame? Wasn't the agenda to help save clubs?

Scunny can seemingly change there race nights at will but we can't? As for Glasgow they are turning into the Poole of the 2nd tier, they two only changed there race night last season.

It's not just rider availability or the Craig cook situation it's also stadium availability, Derwent park has been used for a lot more other things on Saturday nights in the past few seasons, this giv the promotion a major problem in continunerty, then fans loose interest, find other things to do of a weekend an the rest as they say is history

Edited by Midget
  • Like 1

Glasgow have applied since 2013 for a Friday night. How can you expect to get something and you cant attend the AGM but don't worry you only need 14 Saturdays in 7 months to complete your fixtures

Edited by MANSE

Glasgow have applied since 2013 for a Friday night. How can you expect to get something and you cant attend the AGM but don't worry you only need 14 Saturdays in 7 months to complete your fixtures

As a Workington fan I can see your point about the none attendance at the AGM hindering our chances of getting what we wanted.

HOWEVER, most Championship clubs will only have enough official fixtures for fortnightly speedway as I see it. Even starting as late as April, if clubs were to run each week (Running on an off-day when at an away fixture on your home race night), the season would be done in terms of League and Cup Semi-Final qualification by early July, leaving 7 teams "Done" for the season, and the 4 Teams involved in the League Cup, KOC, and Play-offs 4 months to finish the season off.

With the low number of official fixtures now on offer, why should Workington not be allowed to join the Friday night tracks? After all, there will be plenty of free Fridays available, and at least half of the Premiership clubs will race on the same night!

Edited by yellow and black
  • Like 1

quote from Marksman

So our request to change race night to Fridays was rejected.
But Glasgow and Scunthorpe are fine they can move to Fridays! Whole thing stinks to me, must be good having someone from your club on the BSPA management committee.

Scunthorpe asked to move to a Friday in meetings pre AGM back in September & announced in our Telegraph but only if we ran in 2018

Godfrey and money

A few years ago, Glasgow were refused a change of race night to a Friday because of it's close proximity to Edinburgh(even though it's over the permitted 40 miles) and Harkess(in charge at Edinburgh & the BSPA)

• Like 1

quote from Marksman

But Glasgow and Scunthorpe are fine they can move to Fridays! Whole thing stinks to me, must be good having someone from your club on the BSPA management committee.

Scunthorpe asked to move to a Friday in meetings pre AGM back in September & announced in our Telegraph but only if we ran in 2018

Fair enough, but my point is due to the minimal amount of Official fixtures (Fortnightly racing for most), half the League should be able to ride on the same night, so why are Workington not allowed to?

Your all forgetting Friday Night is or was our Race night for years. with exception of some weekend racing. ,Our crowds have been down and I imagine Mr Godfrey is trying his best to get it back to those Friday crowds again.

Your all forgetting Friday Night is or was our Race night for years. with exception of some weekend racing. ,Our crowds have been down and I imagine Mr Godfrey is trying his best to get it back to those Friday crowds again.

Was also our race night for 12 years in our entire first existence at Derwent Park, so I imagine Mrs Morgan will also be thinking about crowd levels!

quote from Marksman

A few years ago, Glasgow were refused a change of race night to a Friday because of it's close proximity to Edinburgh(even though it's over the permitted 40 miles) and Harkess(in charge at Edinburgh & the BSPA)

To Edinburgh yes not to Armadale though

• Like 1

quote from Marksman

Need to check your map Armadale to Glasgow is less than 40 mls.Can see why they allowed Glasgow to switch though as it probably doesn't affect the size of attendances for meetings these days.

I've always said anyone should be allowed to switch if they want. It's all about getting bodies through the door.

I go to Armadale quite often if we haven't got a meeting that week, regardless of what night we are racing, so I'd imagine I'll be going through a few nights next year.

Maybe they don't want too many Friday night tracks as it would mean very few 'Guest' options for missing riders?

Edinburgh, Glasgow, and Scunthorpe mean six out of eleven teams will be riding on a Friday..

Now the Premiership won't be riding on a Friday there would be a fair few options for Guests but if say eight out of the eleven teams rode on the same night then those options reduce accordingly..

And what night is Lakeside riding? Has a Friday slot been left for them?

You are called Edinburgh Monarchs. GLAS to Edinburgh 45miles

As you are fully aware we dont race in Edinburgh, so your point is pointless

Edited by Mr Blobby
  • Like 1

If this is about fans staying at home to watch craig cook on the TV then as another poster pointed out with the lack of fixtures you can fit your matches around the grand prix.

• Like 1