British Speedway Forum
topaz325

Workington V Berwick 19:30 hrs 04/05/18

that's where you are wrong there was grip probably too much 

that's why bikes lift 

if you listen to the bikes in the bends you can hear the engine die down that's because the wheels arnt spinning but diging into the dirt and giving drive 

also a few were having a little trouble getting the bikes to turn yet again that's because there was loose dirt which gives drive and wont let the wheels spin and slide 

I bow down to others' superior knowledge of track preparation and conditions, however whether there was too much or to little grip it made for a really boring evening of follow my leader.

people see meetings different 

maybe there wasn't much passing 

but I can get entertainment from watching a couple or group of riders trying hard 

you don't have to have passing to have a good race 

there was a mix of decent racing and gate and go heats tonight 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, topaz325 said:

Thought it was a decent meet , well done to Berwick they surprised me.

Berwick have some good riders in there team 

not rated highly but that don't mean there not a team to discount 

they out gated Workington most if not all night 

maybe they are gelling as a team where as Workington were only into there 3rd meeting as a team into the 3rd month of the season 

• Like 1

by the way café was quiet but big improvement on opening night 

coffee wasn't the best but it was up to standard for a event like this and more to the point the watered had been boiled 

not sure what food was on apart from burgers and hot dogs which were cooked 

5 hours ago, scaramanga said:

people see meetings different 

maybe there wasn't much passing 

but I can get entertainment from watching a couple or group of riders trying hard 

you don't have to have passing to have a good race 

there was a mix of decent racing and gate and go heats tonight 

6 hours ago, scaramanga said:

that's where you are wrong there was grip probably too much 

that's why bikes lift 

if you listen to the bikes in the bends you can hear the engine die down that's because the wheels arnt spinning but diging into the dirt and giving drive 

also a few were having a little trouble getting the bikes to turn yet again that's because there was loose dirt which gives drive and wont let the wheels spin and slide 

Think you are spot on with both posts here.  The riders certainly seem to be having trouble with bend 2 in particular and that looked down to too much grip rather than not enough. It was, however,  possible to pass - as both Jensen and Wilson-Dean proved.

I thought the closeness of the score line kept things  entertaining and there was indeed a huge amount of effort from both sides. 

Meeting all done in 90 minutes and no interval :approve:

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 1

Wasnt there due to work but see reports of dire crowd was it that bad, young dan needs to up his game to match his belle  vue scores .

Fantastic result for Berwick and maybe a win that got away having been 8pts up during the meeting. Great to see Danny Gappmaier taken his form from reserve into the main team, unfortunately not the same for John Lindman going the other way, hopefully he gets that put right in tonight's meeting. 

51 minutes ago, screm said:

Fantastic result for Berwick and maybe a win that got away having been 8pts up during the meeting. Great to see Danny Gappmaier taken his form from reserve into the main team, unfortunately not the same for John Lindman going the other way, hopefully he gets that put right in tonight's meeting. 

Gappmaier was very good , fast and smooth riding.l expected him to score points but not that many, well done Berwick.

1 hour ago, screm said:

lindman was much better than id expected going by coments made about him on other threads 

gappmaier was quick 

early on a few Workington riders seamed to have problems 

and all off them were gating bad all night 

10 hours ago, Carlislecomet2 said:

I bow down to others' superior knowledge of track preparation and conditions, however whether there was too much or to little grip it made for a really boring evening of follow my leader.

thats what Dave Lanning past comment on @ a meeting @ wembley  when he was doing the tv stuff . 

that was back in the early days of speedway on tv ! ( 80s/90s) ?

so nothing has changed , its still follow my leader most of the times . 

more dirt , less dirt . the outcome will always be the same .

fancy tuners, fancy clutches, fancy electronics , FANCY THAT !

it  is what it is . a 10 pund sport and always will be .

2 hours ago, geoff100 said:

Wasnt there due to work but see reports of dire crowd was it that bad, young dan needs to up his game to match his belle  vue scores .

NO negative COMmEnTS  on this forum please !

On 4 May 2018 at 11:12 PM, Carlislecomet2 said:

I try to be positive with my posts but what an awful meeting. There  did not seem to be any grip anywhere resulting in a gate and go track to satisfy no-one apart from the gating tarts.

It got to the stage where I didn't care who won, I just wanted to see someone overtake someone else - I am still waiting!

I am not sure how anyone could think it was a decent match, and if all speedway meetings were like this there really would eventually be no spectators at all.

It was a long while ago but I can just about recall our only other meeting this season against Edinburgh when the track provided some really good racing. Why the difference tonight?

If you thought that was awful hope you didn't make it to Berwick on Sat.!