Jump to content
British Speedway Forum
tocha

Lakeside Hammers v Workington Comets - Friday 1st June

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, marko said:

Dan Bewley just comes across as a bit of a throttle jockey to me, easy to do it on the big tracks with fast bikes but Arena requires skill and throttle control.

Bar Ty and Mason, the comets were very poor, but of course we are very strong at home because we have a very good team of really four heat leaders plus useful backup.

Easy to forget how young and inexperienced he is, riders who have been round the block many more times than him find Arena difficult.

If he does turn out to ne just a 'throttle jockey' then great, that' what he will need to be to succeed in Poland, Sweden and the GP's. Given the choice its far better to be good on the big tracks than the small ones.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

afternoon , can anyone tell me who the workington team manager was @ leakside last night . cheers .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes Dan is very young and will only get better and from what I have heard he is down to earth so hopefully doesn't believe all the hype which was sort of my point, some have made him out to be this great hope, he might be one day, but not yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to the program is was Steve Whitehead but whether they even had a manager present I have no idea, I would have been well cheesed off if that was my team and no real attempt was made to keep the score respectable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, marko said:

According to the program is was Steve Whitehead but whether they even had a manager present I have no idea, I would have been well cheesed off if that was my team and no real attempt was made to keep the score respectable.

thank you for that information marko . it explains a lot . would have been better off with one of the Diddy men from knotty ash in charge . ..thanks again .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, waco said:

Poor meeting tonight but what can you expect against a team that only had two riders trying,Procter and Campton......Worky should really think about some changes especially at the top end...Hammers continue to impress as a really solid outfit that look like they are really enjoying themselves home ,and away,, the track was in excellent condition and there can be no excuses for Workys poor performance tonight.......

 Word of praise for two of Lakeside's lesser lights. Firstly, Congratuations to Kyle Newman on his first paid max for the Hammers. After a steady but solid start to the year he I'd starting to kick on now. With Kyle naturally on the inside line ans Adam on the outside they are becoming a formidable pairing.

Secondly , Alfie Bowtell still finds it hard at this level , but I notice he is becoming a very good gater, particular off the inside two. Off the outside gate he seems to lose his way on bends 1&2 a bit but that will come with experience. Two points is better than 0 and if he can extend that to 3or 4 by the end of the season he will have done well. The crowd love him because he is a trier.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, marko said:

Dan Bewley just comes across as a bit of a throttle jockey to me, easy to do it on the big tracks with fast bikes but Arena requires skill and throttle control.

Just a poor night I guess. Bewley lists Wolves and Rye House among his favourite tracks (not seen him at Rye, he’s excellent at Monmore) and he is clearly much more than a big track specialist.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

 Word of praise for two of Lakeside's lesser lights. Firstly, Congratuations to Kyle Newman on his first paid max for the Hammers. After a steady but solid start to the year he I'd starting to kick on now. With Kyle naturally on the inside line ans Adam on the outside they are becoming a formidable pairing.

Secondly , Alfie Bowtell still finds it hard at this level , but I notice he is becoming a very good gater, particular off the inside two. Off the outside gate he seems to lose his way on bends 1&2 a bit but that will come with experience. Two points is better than 0 and if he can extend that to 3or 4 by the end of the season he will have done well. The crowd love him because he is a trier.

 

13 minutes ago, Fourentee said:

Just a poor night I guess. Bewley lists Wolves and Rye House among his favourite tracks (not seen him at Rye, he’s excellent at Monmore) and he is clearly much more than a big track specialist.

Just like the good old days then Addio   the crowd love a trier last year Alfie guested for the Robins once and rode his socks off.The crowd really appreciated him he beat Greaves once and was always in the mix early on he is at the right club Lakeside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This idea that you only need to be a throttle jockey with a fast bike to excel on the big tracks is utter rubbish. Those who have watched Dan at the NSS not just beating good riders but beating them from the back, have seen that he has done it not by having the fastest bike but through using his skill and ability to choose the right racing lines and waiting for the best opportunity. 

So far this year he has, amongst others, passed and beaten Batchelor, Andersen, Masters and Kasprzak and I'm not talking about passes on the first two bends. All of the those are very good riders who have bikes just as fast as Bewley and who are more than capable of getting the right set ups.

Tracks like Lakeside and Wolverhampton do require different but also important skills but they are tracks that by their nature give riders who race there regularly a big advantage. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Aces51 said:

This idea that you only need to be a throttle jockey with a fast bike to excel on the big tracks is utter rubbish. Those who have watched Dan at the NSS not just beating good riders but beating them from the back, have seen that he has done it not by having the fastest bike but through using his skill and ability to choose the right racing lines and waiting for the best opportunity. 

So far this year he has, amongst others, passed and beaten Batchelor, Andersen, Masters and Kasprzak and I'm not talking about passes on the first two bends. All of the those are very good riders who have bikes just as fast as Bewley and who are more than capable of getting the right set ups.

Tracks like Lakeside and Wolverhampton do require different but also important skills but they are tracks that by their nature give riders who race there regularly a big advantage. 

leaksiders would not know an up and coming rider  if one  ran over them .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah he has scored loads at the NSS beating a ton of good riders but last night he only beat Zach, his other point coming from a race where there were only three finishers, lets have a little bit of reality here, yes he is an exceptional rider around NSS in the top league but when a rider only scores a couple of points as a second string in the 2nd tier, people need to pipe down stop putting pressure on the lad, he still has a very long way to.

Don't forget Arena have had their fair share of riders down the years who could beat the very best riders in the world around Arena but were a shadow of that on others track, its nothing new.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bewley has so far this season averaged 7.85 at the NSS and 7.05 away, so it's not just at the NSS where he is doing well and particularly so for a rider who is only at the start of his third season in the sport. You can understand therefore why he is rated so highly. He is definitely not a rider just doing well at a specialist home track.

However, I agree that we shouldn't put too much pressure on him and accept that he may welll lack consistency and have the occasional nightmare meetings at this very early stage of his development.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Bewley is an exceptional talent .but at Lakeside he was going in very deep on the bend entry's,,and it was not working for him on the night.he will of course learn from that ..He is still the best young rider around since Robert Lambert....And that is coming from a Leaksider !,,,,!!

Edited by waco
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, marko said:

Yeah he has scored loads at the NSS beating a ton of good riders but last night he only beat Zach, his other point coming from a race where there were only three finishers, lets have a little bit of reality here, yes he is an exceptional rider around NSS in the top league but when a rider only scores a couple of points as a second string in the 2nd tier, people need to pipe down stop putting pressure on the lad, he still has a very long way to.

Don't forget Arena have had their fair share of riders down the years who could beat the very best riders in the world around Arena but were a shadow of that on others track, its nothing new.

I think that is where you have it wrong,   he is not exceptional at the NSS  he is very very good of course exciting as well but as Aces 51 pointed out his home average  is 7.85 ( I thought it was much higher than that was at reserve for a bit as well) 7.05 away.He holds his own as well away  from home really well and is learning fast we shall see in the British Final  how far he has come he has a real fighting chance again great experience for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Aces51 said:

This idea that you only need to be a throttle jockey with a fast bike to excel on the big tracks is utter rubbish. Those who have watched Dan at the NSS not just beating good riders but beating them from the back, have seen that he has done it not by having the fastest bike but through using his skill and ability to choose the right racing lines and waiting for the best opportunity. 

So far this year he has, amongst others, passed and beaten Batchelor, Andersen, Masters and Kasprzak and I'm not talking about passes on the first two bends. All of the those are very good riders who have bikes just as fast as Bewley and who are more than capable of getting the right set ups.

Tracks like Lakeside and Wolverhampton do require different but also important skills but they are tracks that by their nature give riders who race there regularly a big advantage. 

You know better than me Aces but that is one thing that  Dan needs to do gradually upgrade his aquipment easier  said than done of course His bikes i believe are not the best and a lot of his points  he scores are because of his skill and ability.Look i am not for one minute saying his equipment is shabby but it is a expensive sport and it takes time to build your team up and get a great package together to really push on.Even Robert Lambert said ( who has two great parents who back him to the hilt) that he is at least two years off at having a fighting chance in the GP arena so it is tough even Tai showed that in his maiden GP year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy