Jump to content
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
keepturningleft

This must be a contender for the greatest race ever!

Recommended Posts

On 5/22/2019 at 6:54 AM, geoff100 said:

Lets be honest he was out of control on the last 2 corners but still good to watch, can u get that channel in uk for free ?

You can watch the Polish league but it`s a str*am(Phil doesn`t like the small river word used). check out the Polish league thread on the international section.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2019 at 2:36 PM, wealdstone said:

Believe a routine ploy by Ivan Mauger  when he was at at Exeter

Doubt Ivan Mauger would have ever have attempted a manoeuvre as risky as that... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Ivan was known to deliberately give the Exeter steel fence a clout exiting the bends, sometimes bending his silencer, or when going into them for added speed.  Vaclav Verner did the same at Hull, a loud 'thud' denoting his successful exit from the bend, accompanied by a cloud of shale thrown into the air....

Edited by martinmauger
spelling
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2019 at 2:42 PM, martinmauger said:

Ivan was known to deliberately give the Exeter steel fence a clout exiting the bends, sometimes bending his silencer, or when going into them for added speed.  Vaclav Verner did the same at Hull, a loud 'thud' denoting his successful exit from the bend, accompanied by a cloud of shale thrown into the air....

Yes, I've seen riders clout the fence at Exeter and gain the benefit - some deliberate, some not so! But I think that's different to the 'wall of death' tactic in this instance. I don't think that's something Mauger, nor anyone else has deliberately deployed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, falcace said:

Yes, I've seen riders clout the fence at Exeter and gain the benefit - some deliberate, some not so! But I think that's different to the 'wall of death' tactic in this instance. I don't think that's something Mauger, nor anyone else has deliberately deployed.

Ivan mentions it in his book and subsequent interviews that he would purposely run his back wheel up on the fence at the County Ground which would then give him the momentum to pass a rider up the inside (where they least expected it) on entering the next bend. If I recall he used to say that it would take him a couple of laps in which to build up the necessary speed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2019 at 2:42 PM, martinmauger said:

Ivan was known to deliberately give the Exeter steel fence a clout exiting the bends, sometimes bending his silencer, or when going into them for added speed.  Vaclav Verner did the same at Hull, a loud 'thud' denoting his successful exit from the bend, accompanied by a cloud of shale thrown into the air....

Saw Vaclav Verner use the same tactics at Halifax when riding for Exeter,lost count the number of times he touch the fence on the 3rd 4th bend.At the time just thought he was out of control( not so):D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/28/2019 at 3:16 PM, steve roberts said:

Ivan mentions it in his book and subsequent interviews that he would purposely run his back wheel up on the fence at the County Ground which would then give him the momentum to pass a rider up the inside (where they least expected it) on entering the next bend. If I recall he used to say that it would take him a couple of laps in which to build up the necessary speed.

Hmm...still not convinced its the same. This was two wheels along the fence. Ivan will always be arguably the best ever, but did he ever perform a wall of death overtake? He was a very calculated rider and let's be honest - not averse to blowing his own trumpet - but was this type of thing he would engage in? I'd be interested to hear from any neutrals who swear blind he did. 

image.png.de5b700ce6a63e3913dd9ecfea6db2a1.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, falcace said:

Hmm...still not convinced its the same. This was two wheels along the fence. Ivan will always be arguably the best ever, but did he ever perform a wall of death overtake? He was a very calculated rider and let's be honest - not averse to blowing his own trumpet - but was this type of thing he would engage in? I'd be interested to hear from any neutrals who swear blind he did. 

image.png.de5b700ce6a63e3913dd9ecfea6db2a1.png

 

I'll just quote from an interview that Ivan gave in 'Backtrack'  to perhaps help explain and/or qualify which I hope Tony Mac doesn't mind me quoting :-

"At Exeter I had contests with myself. If I was riding very well, I'd go up around the banked part of turns three and and four and let my back wheel hit the fence - it would give me a ricochet and fire me down the the home straight. I used to practice doing that because, occasionally, if I was second or third in a race, and went up and got that ricochet on turn four, I  knew I would have enough speed to pass guys on the inside by the start line. They were not expecting it. Instead, they expected you to creep round the outside. It would take me about a lap-and-a-half to build up to but I'd pass a lot of guys by riding in about the the gate one or two positions down the front straight - after my back wheel had deliberately clouted the fence. When we first used mufflers, I would tend to bend them on the fence - yes, Exeter was a really good fun place to to race at."

Not a 'wall of death' feat by any means or in any way similar to the above race but a move using the fence to gain momentum which he apparently used successfully.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, falcace said:

Hmm...still not convinced its the same. This was two wheels along the fence. Ivan will always be arguably the best ever, but did he ever perform a wall of death overtake? He was a very calculated rider and let's be honest - not averse to blowing his own trumpet - but was this type of thing he would engage in? I'd be interested to hear from any neutrals who swear blind he did. 

image.png.de5b700ce6a63e3913dd9ecfea6db2a1.png

 

Correct, it's not the same at all.

I doubt that 99.99% of speedway riders have ever done what Sayfutdinov did here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/28/2019 at 7:44 PM, falcace said:

Yes, I've seen riders clout the fence at Exeter and gain the benefit - some deliberate, some not so! But I think that's different to the 'wall of death' tactic in this instance. I don't think that's something Mauger, nor anyone else has deliberately deployed.

I remember Craig Watson at Exeter using the fence to superb effect to pass Mark simmonds round the outside, he had the white paint marks on the handlebars to prove how close he got to the fence as well. 

Watching from the 4th bend bar looking directly down at the track was without doubt the best viewing place I have seen in speedway. Breathtaking 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Not trying to make the thread all about Hull / Ivan (honest), but you couldn't 'bounce' off an air fence or give it a clout, like at Exeter or Halifax, as it would prob pull you in.  But Emil (& TRick at Cardiff) had his wheels tight along the bottom so it worked.

But it really is 'small potatoes' ;). [pauses for effect] At Hull in 2004 Emiliano Sanchez at least once rode 2ft UP the fence :o.  He went into turn 1 way too hot, realised he was unable to make it round turn 2 and made a 'split second speedway riders' decision' and rode up the fence 'wall of death style' and even maintained his position in the race:party:.   Like 'did he really just do that ?!'  Obviously 'Poty' Sanchez probably didn't intend his move but Ivan, TRick & Emil certainly did....

Edited by martinmauger
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Recall Roman Matousek riding his front wheel over the white lane at Munich during the 1989 World Final where he picked up tremendous drive.

Riders find many means to gain an advantage whether by design, pure chance or by accident...it's what made/makes the sport so special and creates  many iconic and wonderful memories to saviour.

Edited by steve roberts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Pinny said:

I remember Craig Watson at Exeter using the fence to superb effect to pass Mark simmonds round the outside, he had the white paint marks on the handlebars to prove how close he got to the fence as well. 

Watching from the 4th bend bar looking directly down at the track was without doubt the best viewing place I have seen in speedway. Breathtaking 

Bo Brhel used to squeeze thru' the tiniest gaps close to the fence when exiting the second bend at Cowley whilst a 'Cheetah'. Bearing in mind that the exits to the bends at Cowley used to be quite narrow and that the fence was chain-linked that took some courage.

Edited by steve roberts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Recall Roman Matousek riding his front wheel over the white lane at Munich during the 1989 World Final where he picked up tremendous drive.

Riders find many means to gain an advantage whether by design, pure chance or by accident...it's what made/makes the sport so special and creates  many iconic and wonderful memories to saviour.

Remember that well - he made up a huge distance doing it

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I think what maybe adds to this race is it wasn't his home track ridden week in week out knowing lines and kickboards etc, and to be fair not bad as he was last into the 1st corner, and Freddie and Miskowiak ain't slow.

Edited by rjsj9803

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy