British Speedway Forum
gee jay

EASTBOURNE V SHEFFIELD SAT 1ST ?

Full credit to Eastbourne for being up front and honest. Much rather have the truth than some yarn about power failure/ stadium unavailability etc etc

This guy is so refreshingly to the point and honest and not for the first time; and gets a point over in a non confrontational way.

Well done Eastbourne Speedway even if you don't agree with the decision, so much better to have the logic and explanation behind it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, woofers said:

Looks like ten thousand excellent reasons to call off the match.

The grip that Premier League football has on TV and coverage in the newspapers and websites is unhealthy.

They are squeezing the life out of lower league football clubs and other sports.

I wonder how much tax there is on football transfers...if any.

Might be an idea of rein in this super rich clubs and stop them riding roughshod over everyone else.

It's just unfortunate for a Saturday night track that the final has ended up between two English clubs. I read a comment yesterday that the people of Eastbourne can't like football all that much because Eastbourne Boro only get a few hundred.... in that case, the place probably has thousands of armchair Premier League supporters, if the local team isn't that high up in the scheme of things. 

shame as i wanted to go to this one , but i want a team to follow next year and the year after that more . sorry to the sheffield fans who have lost out . 

2 hours ago, Tigerblade said:

It's just unfortunate for a Saturday night track that the final has ended up between two English clubs. I read a comment yesterday that the people of Eastbourne can't like football all that much because Eastbourne Boro only get a few hundred.... in that case, the place probably has thousands of armchair Premier League supporters, if the local team isn't that high up in the scheme of things. 

Brighton are the team in their neck of the woods.

Why not start the meeting earlier? I went to a meeting there a few years back when Eastbourne where still in the Elite League that was held the same day as a GP and that's what they did . Fans watched the GP in the bar afterwards I think 

30 minutes ago, DSC67 said:

Why not start the meeting earlier? I went to a meeting there a few years back when Eastbourne where still in the Elite League that was held the same day as a GP and that's what they did . Fans watched the GP in the bar afterwards I think 

That point is dealt with in the article as to why an earlier start is not possible 

• Like 1

Funny how the reasoning in the Facebook item is welcomed and approved by all but one of its posters, yet on here most of the usual critical posters are dissing what is a very understandable business decision. Perhaps the Eastbourne fans on the Facebook item realise and appreciate the financial concerns, even though it is not their money at risk but the clubs. This thread just goes to show why promoters don't bother to read or appreciate the comments and judgements on here, especially when it's their money at risk not the doubting negative posters.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Brighton are the team in their neck of the woods.

I'm well aware of that, but they've been in the doldrums until recent years. I still maintain there'll be plenty of armchair Prem watchers of other teams down that way. 

29 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Funny how the reasoning in the Facebook item is welcomed and approved by all but one of its posters, yet on here most of the usual critical posters are dissing what is a very understandable business decision. Perhaps the Eastbourne fans on the Facebook item realise and appreciate the financial concerns, even though it is not their money at risk but the clubs. This thread just goes to show why promoters don't bother to read or appreciate the comments and judgements on here, especially when it's their money at risk not the doubting negative posters.

Yeah, but Dave,,, if there's no negatives, how would anyone know what a positive is ? ;)

and, to add to that,,, without negatives, we'd not have electricity :(

Edited by ruffdiamond

20 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Yeah, but Dave,,, if there's no negatives, how would anyone know what a positive is ? ;)

and, to add to that,,, without negatives, we'd not have electricity :(

Bright spark. :o:P

• Haha 1

Cannot believe the transparency and honesty from the Eastbourne promotion...

Are they new to the sport? Don't they understand that this isn't the way to do things?

Where are the "track is flooded due to the house pipe being left on", or "the back up generator has gone down" or even "total electrical blackout in the whole of the stadium" reasons?..

These are proper traditional good old fashioned reasons for calling off meetings, not some press release full to bursting with integrity, professionalism and rational explanation to fans, treating them like valued customers and adults... 

It will never catch on you know.. ;)

:t:

Sensible and shows the knife edge that speedway is on currently....anything which might affect a normal crowd like poor weather, a big football match on TV or rider unavailability is just too much of a risk for s promotion to take. Could be the difference between running and going under. 

That said you have to feel for Sheffield fans who had booked their away trip. While sympathising with speedway promoters they can’t have any room to moan when away fans eventually stop bothering. 

9 hours ago, mikebv said:

Cannot believe the transparency and honesty from the Eastbourne promotion...

Are they new to the sport? Don't they understand that this isn't the way to do things?

Where are the "track is flooded due to the house pipe being left on", or "the back up generator has gone down" or even "total electrical blackout in the whole of the stadium" reasons?..

These are proper traditional good old fashioned reasons for calling off meetings, not some press release full to bursting with integrity, professionalism and rational explanation to fans, treating them like valued customers and adults... 

It will never catch on you know.. ;)

:t:

This  transparency be the blueprint all Speedway Teams and the BSPA follow.

The management set up there seems a bit complicated  and weird with Cook and Jordan as Directors and Geer and Bellerby as Promoters of the Speedway and Cook and M Dugard running the Stadium for the Dugard family. 

old Bob Dugard (bless him) would have just called it off and bemoaned he couldn't drive his tractor for the day and Cook / Geer / Bellerby are very much old school Dugard so seems Jordan is the new to speedway person who appears to have more understanding of business and his customers? 

5 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Sensible and shows the knife edge that speedway is on currently....anything which might affect a normal crowd like poor weather, a big football match on TV or rider unavailability is just too much of a risk for s promotion to take. Could be the difference between running and going under. 

That said you have to feel for Sheffield fans who had booked their away trip. While sympathising with speedway promoters they can’t have any room to moan when away fans eventually stop bothering. 

Can't disagree about impact on away supporters but with Sheffield having a home match the next day not sure how many would have travelled down? 

I think that reality is most Teams are on the knife edge, especially a new Promotion like Eastbourne and one that has reportedly been having good crowds.