British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Col

Brummies v Tigers, Scottish edition 3/7.

Great result for the Tigers away from home!!! :) 

A welcome 4 points on the road which we almost threw away with tactical naivety in ht13 gifting the Brummies a TS ride for Ellis in ht14. The TM should have sent Cook and Vissing out knowing a 2-4 wasnt on with Cook either sitting behind Ellis or Vissing letting Shanes through. It worked in the end but may have backfired at a stronger team.

Some hard worked points through the order from Starkey, Bickley and Connor Bailey with Sarj unlucky to fall in his last ride. Adam Ellis was the pick for the home side though twice got away with jumping the start in the early part of the meeting and was creeping in ht10 which drew Jensen in. Thought Birmingham would have been stronger at reserve with Hume winning ht2 and not doing much else. Excellent venue to watch speedway on a pleasant evening. Onward to Redcar at home on Friday.

Decent meeting, better than I expected after being a season ticket holder 07-09 & from reading match reports on here.

Heats of note. 7. Jensen gated & was gone, Brummies hold 2nd & 3rd but neither ride wider than mid-track. May as well of got a Wile-E-Coyote style sign post with "overtake here" pointing at the outside, which Starke duly did.

10. Jensen touches tapes goes off 15m. With debutant Agertoft having his (obligatory?) third ride & considering how quick Jensen had looked I thought he'd catch his fellow Dane by the end of the first lap. Agertoft had taken a couple of laps to get going in his first two outings but once going seemed on the pace. Not the case this time, gated on front of Starke & it was his fellow Tiger who Jensen reeled in. I do wonder if this was a savvy tactical move so Brummies couldn't use Ellis as a Tac Sub replacing R/R Aarnio in the next heat!.Speedway skullduggery at its finest!

11. Perks makes a good cut back on turn 2 to pass Sarjeant down the back straight on final lap . Sarjeant then fell on his own. Shame Perks bike didn't work in his 2nd & 3rd outings. Had I been Brummies team manager I would not have increased his pay with an Aarnio R/R ride!

12. Probably the best race. Bickley riding mid track can't resist Castagna on the white line (barley ventured far from it all night) or Shanes on the outside and Bickley is passed by both Brummies exiting turn 2 on lap 3.

13. Cook riding wide passes Ellis on the inside with ease after a couple of laps 

Congratulations to Glasgow, too much firepower for Birmingham & deserved all 4 points. With a full septet maybe Brummies could have won.

Added bonus, took a whole 12 minutes to get home, probably less time than I spent sat at the Scott Arms junction on the way.

Sour taste. £2.40 for a bottle of water. Had it been blessed by the Pope?

Has the centre green always been higher than the track? Very odd. Greyhound start gate ruins the view on the flat exiting turn 4, dudes smoking cigars ruins the air on the elevated section on the same bend.

Off to apply the missus after sun!

Edited by Col
  • Like 1

Guest Loose Diamond
1 hour ago, Col said:

Decent meeting, better than I expected after being a season ticket holder 07-09 & from reading match reports on here.

Heats of note. 7. Jensen gated & was gone, Brummies hold 2nd & 3rd but neither ride wider than mid-track. May as well if got a sign post with overtake here pointing at the outside which Starke duly did.

10. Jensen touches tapes goes of 15m. With debutant Agertoft having his (obligatory) third ride & considering how quick Jensen had looked I thought he'd catch his fellow Dane by the end of the first lap. Agertoft had taken a couple of laps to get going in his first two outings but once going seemed on the pace. Not the case this time, gated on front of Starke & it was his fellow Tiger who Jensen reeled in. I do wonder if this was a savvy tactical move so Brummies couldn't use Ellis as a Tac Sub replacing R/R Aarnio in the next heat!

11. Perks makes a good cut back on turn 2 to pass Sarjeant down the back straight. Sarjeant then fell on his own. Shame Perks bike didn't work in his 2nd & 3rd outings. Had I been Brummies team manager I would not have increased his pay with an Aarnio R/R ride!

12. Probably the best race. Buckley riding mid track can't resist Castagna on the white line (barley ventured far from it all night) or Shanes on the outside & is passed by both exiting turn 2 on lap 3.

13. Cook riding wide passes Ellis on the inside with ease after a couple of laps 

Congratulations to Glasgow, too much firepower for Birmingham & deserved all 4 points. With a full septet maybe Brummies could have won.

Added bonus, took a whole 12 minutes to get home, probably less time than I spent sat at the Scott Arms junction on the way.

Has the centre green always been higher than the track? Very odd. Greyhound start gate ruins the view on the flat exiting turn 4, dudes smoking cigars ruins the air on the elevated section on the same bend.

Off to apply the missus after sun!

Expensive for food and drink.

Yeah next time I'll make sure I take a bottle of water with me. Speaking of water, track needed more early on. Very dusty heats 5 & 6. They graded the track before heat 3 but no water.

Heat 8 was probably the nail on the Brummies coffin. Poorest ride for each Brummie, only decent result for each visiting rider.

Was overall disappointed with Vissing, expected more.

1 hour ago, Col said:

Yeah next time I'll make sure I take a bottle of water with me. Speaking of water, track needed more early on. Very dusty heats 5 & 6. They graded the track before heat 3 but no water.

Heat 8 was probably the nail on the Brummies coffin. Poorest ride for each Brummie, only decent result for each visiting rider.

Was overall disappointed with Vissing, expected more.

My mate was having a sly fag on the elevated platform on turn 4. I'll tell him you don't approve, neither do i if I'm honest!

Fag would be Ok, dirty great Cigar miffed me.

Can’t win em all...

did what we could with what we had available....

why Ellis Perks? Don’t think any brummies fan would’ve chose him? (Cheap...may be?)

what’s the difference between the new Dane and Tobias Thomsen? Apart from Thomsen being a lot better imo???

we are considerably weaker with the new signings imo...

I thought all guests were paid a standard rate based on points/rides.

Agertoft did OK considering he'd (probably) never seen a British track before, can't comment on Thomsen as I never saw him.

theres such a huge void between the best and not so good in this league. 

you've got sides like scunny and eastie that are gd at home and rank away.

Lester,redcar and Glasgow seem good home or away.

sounds like a fair effort from brum really

Guest Loose Diamond
11 hours ago, MD said:

A welcome 4 points on the road which we almost threw away with tactical naivety in ht13 gifting the Brummies a TS ride for Ellis in ht14. The TM should have sent Cook and Vissing out knowing a 2-4 wasnt on with Cook either sitting behind Ellis or Vissing letting Shanes through. It worked in the end but may have backfired at a stronger team.

Some hard worked points through the order from Starkey, Bickley and Connor Bailey with Sarj unlucky to fall in his last ride. Adam Ellis was the pick for the home side though twice got away with jumping the start in the early part of the meeting and was creeping in ht10 which drew Jensen in. Thought Birmingham would have been stronger at reserve with Hume winning ht2 and not doing much else. Excellent venue to watch speedway on a pleasant evening. Onward to Redcar at home on Friday.

Hello. And Glasgow riders don't jump the start??

48 minutes ago, Loose Diamond said:

Hello. And Glasgow riders don't jump the start??

Sarj certainly doesn't :D.

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, ruckerroo said:

theres such a huge void between the best and not so good in this league. 

you've got sides like scunny and eastie that are gd at home and rank away.

Lester,redcar and Glasgow seem good home or away.

sounds like a fair effort from brum really

It was a decent meeting, but Glasgow did make hard work of it. Looked a good crowd as well.

12 hours ago, Col said:

At any pub or event always ask for a glass iced tap water which comes out £2.40 cheaper than you paid and I have never had anywhere refuse to supply the tap water although a few do moan!

Edited by Chris116

1 hour ago, GiveusaB said:

Can’t win em all...

did what we could with what we had available....

why Ellis Perks? Don’t think any brummies fan would’ve chose him? (Cheap...may be?)

what’s the difference between the new Dane and Tobias Thomsen? Apart from Thomsen being a lot better imo???

we are considerably weaker with the new signings imo...

I think last night was a great effort considering against a very good Glasgow side Hume is a better rider than Stoneman and will get useful points especially at home when he has more race fitness.