British Speedway Forum
Hunters

Eastbourne v Glasgow Semi Final

Two observations.

1. There were, at least, three Glasgow riders on track. Did they all nip through the pit gate while the track staff weren't looking?

2. Craig Cook appears to be heading for the pits. i.e. the pit gate was to the left of the person taking the video. Is that right?

32 minutes ago, hammer1969 said:

Excuse me - a deliberate attempt by fans to whip up opposition riders - you clearly weren't there your going by what others have said.  Yes us Eastbourne fans did boo the Glasgow riders and they deserved it, this incident started from 6pm when Glasgow kept digging pot holes in a track that had already been inspected by the referee and given the go ahead to race on and then at 7.15pm they had still not changed into their kevlars, presumably to try and get the meeting cancelled, WHY? We were clearly the underdogs in this meeting Glasgow threw it away. As for the people who said they were glad to get out in one piece, what utter rubbish, there was no incidents on the terraces just some audible booing, which as I said was thoroughly deserved.

Excuse me. What is it about some people,  they seem to be unable to read and interpret the written word and they seem to think they are right even when the evidence shows they are wrong. Where did I say a deliberate attempt by fans to whip up opposition riders? And how can you dismiss a group of Glasgow fans concerns as being utter rubbish when they felt strongly enough to post there feelings on a Facebook site. This isn't about who won, Glasgow lost the tie in the first leg and with Paul's subsequent injury. This is about the deliberate and successful attempts by those who should know better to wind up and intimidate opposition riders which is totally out of order. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, False dawn said:

Two observations.

1. There were, at least, three Glasgow riders on track. Did they all nip through the pit gate while the track staff weren't looking?

2. Craig Cook appears to be heading for the pits. i.e. the pit gate was to the left of the person taking the video. Is that right?

You have misunderstood.

All the bikes were on the track, lined up and facing the main grandstand on the back straight. This is how the riders are announced at Arlington. They stand behind the bike, get introduced, wave and then sit on the bike waiting for the rest of the riders from both teams to be introduced. The away team is always introduced first.

Once all the riders are introduced, all 14 riders (or less if RR is being used) are pushed off and they have a lap or two of practices starts and 'getting the feel' of the turns by sliding in. As the bikes are pushed off, little mascots, guests, media etc etc are either marched off the track or walked to the safe area on the centre green.

What happened Saturday, is three or so of the Glasgow riders were pushed off before the Eagles were introduced  and started their practice starts at turn 4. Down towards turn 1 and then, you see what happens.

Its possible that Cook was going off but unlikely as most riders would at least do a lap and a bit round the track and not be happy doing just 3/4 of a lap. But, maybe Cookie had already decided he was not going to race and hence was going to the pits. Even if he was, the marshal would not have known that and would have wanted to stop the riders going round turn two and into the area where people were still milling around on the track.

• Like 5

This thread has more storylines and backtracking than a Dynasty affair 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Gazc said:

This thread has more storylines and backtracking than a Dynasty affair 

It has been fairly entertaining to be fair. All the experts giving their tuppence worth.

All the haters hating.

Must be the longest thread about a Glasgow match for a while with very little mention of the speedway to boot. 

26 pages for all the wrong reasons .with the aid of video , i have grabbed whats gone on , why cant others ?

• Like 3

Sharpenrake 3 points

(1) have visited Arlington for many years as a brummies fan and our rivalry goes very deep over decades. I've never been treated with anything other than the kindest respect and positive welcome. Yes they are very partisan, but I don't think any of us need any lessons from Scottish fans in being partisan in speedway or any other sport. I can think of far worse and less safe places to travel as a visiting fan than Arlington (Dudley Wood, Brandon and Monmore Green made Arlington look like a Polo Club!) . Don't think a line was crossed from all accounts.

(2) you fail to reflect on what those who WERE THERE are all saying, a pre-meditated attempt by Craig Cook and Michael Max (Team Manager) to stir up ill feeling about the tRack. I've seen various race clips this morning on SCB and Eastbourne website and the track looks excellent and no issues with it at all. Certainly Craig Cook seemed to race on it fine once he had picked his dummy off the floor. Shame he didn't go out in Heat 1! A greater shame his Team Manager let him ride in Heat 15! to the loss of possible earning to a team mate as meeting was over.

(3) Craig Cook has a well documented history of mood swings, he can be a nice guy one week and a complete tool the next and Michael Max is well known in the Sport (not to be confused as a Karlsson brother) as a wind up merchant. I'm sure that supporters of many Clubs will be aware of his antics.

Maybe wise that you accept that Craig Cook was partially in the wrong, Glasgow tried to intimidate for 60-90 minutes but came up against a Club that won't be intimidated and that the subsequent punch up did neither Club any favours at all. As for Jon Cook, he is like Michael Max a complete wind up merchant and clown. 

Glasgow started it, Eastbourne finished it. simple as that! 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Regards michael max i allways thought he was fair when he was at derwent park him and hoggy the best at getting comets fans shouting, remember maxi wouldnt do a comets war cry at the fours as would be unfair to other fans have a lot of respect for him .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Having seen the short video clip I am happy to say that my initial observation that Cook deliberately rode at the marshal, and tried to headbutt him were wrong. That's what it looked like on the night, but with the different angle of the video I can accept it was more likely an accidental collision, and a shoulder barge. What followed was still completely unacceptable. I suspect the reason Eastbourne haven't released the whole clip is that it will show several of their own people behaving equally as badly as Craig Cook and his associates. 

It's still a fact that if Craig had reigned his temper in there wouldn't have been a fight. It's also a fact that the home management deliberately wound him up beforehand. Nobody involved really comes out of this incident looking good. 

• Like 4

That's what I said to Martin Dugard last night why not post the whole video, he said he couldn't as was under investigation, so instead he just posted a short edited clip not showing everything that happened especially what his brother was doing.

The simplest thing would be for the SCB to declare the result null and void and instruct that it be re-run at a neutral track. Belle Vue would be a sensible alternative venue as it is roughly 200+miles from both tracks. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

9 minutes ago, SharpenRake said:

The simplest thing would be for the SCB to declare the result null and void and instruct that it be re-run at a neutral track. Belle Vue would be a sensible alternative venue as it is roughly 200+miles from both tracks. 

On what possible grounds having watched the excellent racing clips on SGB website and Eastbourne website would anyone have for declaring the Meeting "null and void" and re-running on a "neutral track".

That is the most ridiculous post I have seen for a long time.

What possible action on Saturday means Eastbourne can't have a Home Leg or that kind of absolutely ridiculous comment.

Seems you really are just a complete sore looser and the fact Eastbourne got 43 points at Glasgow and therefore warm favourites over 2 legs is just swept under the carpet.

Every post you have made in this thread is now outed for what it is "complete sore looser".

:drink::rolleyes:

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, HGould said:

Sharpenrake 3 points

(1) have visited Arlington for many years as a brummies fan and our rivalry goes very deep over decades. I've never been treated with anything other than the kindest respect and positive welcome. Yes they are very partisan, but I don't think any of us need any lessons from Scottish fans in being partisan in speedway or any other sport. I can think of far worse and less safe places to travel as a visiting fan than Arlington (Dudley Wood, Brandon and Monmore Green made Arlington look like a Polo Club!) . Don't think a line was crossed from all accounts.

(2) you fail to reflect on what those who WERE THERE are all saying, a pre-meditated attempt by Craig Cook and Michael Max (Team Manager) to stir up ill feeling about the tRack. I've seen various race clips this morning on SCB and Eastbourne website and the track looks excellent and no issues with it at all. Certainly Craig Cook seemed to race on it fine once he had picked his dummy off the floor. Shame he didn't go out in Heat 1! A greater shame his Team Manager let him ride in Heat 15! to the loss of possible earning to a team mate as meeting was over.

(3) Craig Cook has a well documented history of mood swings, he can be a nice guy one week and a complete tool the next and Michael Max is well known in the Sport (not to be confused as a Karlsson brother) as a wind up merchant. I'm sure that supporters of many Clubs will be aware of his antics.

Maybe wise that you accept that Craig Cook was partially in the wrong, Glasgow tried to intimidate for 60-90 minutes but came up against a Club that won't be intimidated and that the subsequent punch up did neither Club any favours at all. As for Jon Cook, he is like Michael Max a complete wind up merchant and clown. 

Glasgow started it, Eastbourne finished it. simple as that! 

1) you are choosing to ignore the concerns expressed by Glasgow fans who I repeat said they were glad to get out in one piece. Quite frankly what you or I have experienced in the past are of no consequence. 

2) just because someone doesn't fall off and doesn't get badly injured doesn't mean a track is safe. You will drive to work over a road full of pot holes but it doesn't mean there's nothing wrong with the road. 

3) what has your assessment ofCraig and Michael's history, whether accurate or not, go to do with it. I, and as others have already said, could say Eastbourne has a history of intimidation going back to the days of Bobby Dugard. 

As for Glasgow trying to intimidate Eastbourne that is ludicrous. As I keep repeating Glasgow were never going to qualify after the result of the first leg and Paul's injury. We just wanted to turn up, try our best and get back home safely for the rest of the season. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

if you can untie yourself from those knots you have tied yourself in you might have some chance of digging yourself out of the "sore loser" hole that's so deep.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, HGould said:

On what possible grounds having watched the excellent racing clips on SGB website and Eastbourne website would anyone have for declaring the Meeting "null and void" and re-running on a "neutral track".

That is the most ridiculous post I have seen for a long time.

What possible action on Saturday means Eastbourne can't have a Home Leg or that kind of absolutely ridiculous comment.

Seems you really are just a complete sore looser and the fact Eastbourne got 43 points at Glasgow and therefore warm favourites over 2 legs is just swept under the carpet.

Every post you have made in this thread is now outed for what it is "complete sore looser".

:drink::rolleyes:

OK I just wanted to get a reaction and I'm disappointed that only you responded. However yet another person who is incapable of reading posts. For a start I am not looser more stiff than loose. But you probably meant loser and if you read my posts no one from Glasgow thought they would qualify but then no one thought they would be treated the way they were from the moment they arrived until they left.