British Speedway Forum
ScunnyDan

Scunthorpe Scorpions 2020

Although things on the one hand look good for a UK Speedway season. Unless riders are based here then the concerning Covid situation in Europe is going to take effect. I understand both Tommy & Aarnio will be flying in and out to meet their European commitments ? So they are by no means assured of an uninterrupted season ?. Thats why it probably makes sense to give Jakes spot to a UK domiciled rider ..say James Sargeant ? or one of the Aussie lads ?.

We have the new SGB online show tomorrow so perhaps Rob can add some reassurance. But as it stands I have to agree with the prev poster who favours 6 man teams ? It would have been one way of increasing the availability of riders or ensuring everyone at least could field a full team. As we are;  we will surely see some reliance on Guests and R/R and thats without contemplating injury and absences ? 

Speedway does have one thing in its favour ? The ability to gerimander the rules and circumstances to suit the need. We are steeped in botched up teams ; and interruptions to the schedule. So come what may I am keeping faith with Speedways ability to come up with something even if we might not agree with it ?. Again this season of all seasons I reckon we will pretty much let them off anything wont we ? 

Edited by the outsider

14 minutes ago, the outsider said:

Although things on the one hand look good for a UK Speedway season. Unless riders are based here then the concerning Covid situation in Europe is going to take effect. I understand both Tommy & Aarnio will be flying in and out to meet their European commitments ? So they are by no means assured of an uninterrupted season ?. Thats why it probably makes sense to give Jakes spot to a UK domiciled rider ..say James Sargeant ? or one of the Aussie lads ?.

We have the new SGB online show tomorrow so perhaps Rob can add some reassurance. But as it stands I have to agree with the prev poster who favours 6 man teams ? It would have been one way of increasing the availability of riders or ensuring everyone at least could field a full team. As we are;  we will surely see some reliance on Guests and R/R and thats without contemplating injury and absences ? 

Speedway does have one thing in its favour ? The ability to gerimander the rules and circumstances to suit the need. We are steeped in botched up teams ; and interruptions to the schedule. So come what may I am keeping faith with Speedways ability to come up with something even if we might not agree with it ?. Again this season of all seasons I reckon we will pretty much let them off anything wont we ? 

Spot on...

It's been ran to Mickey Mouse rules for donkeys years so one more (wishful thinking), isn't going to make any difference to whether fans attend I would think...

Pretty much a 'free pass' this year as fans will just want to see some racing..

Which riders make up the teams that race in front of them may differ from 'as advertised', but that's pretty usual even in 'normal years'....

• Like 2

Sorry for hijacking the Scunthorpe thread with this...

But... Another point to expand on my earlier point of 6 man teams, which makes the idea even more of an oversight in my opinion is that individual rider demands would be somewhat lowered in that they would go from competing in 4/5 races per meeting to potentially 5/6 (probably even 7 with rider replacement if that was in use). So using the likes of Jake Allen as an example, especially paired with a Premiership team, his earnings would be significantly higher than as it is currently. 1 less rider to find per team, riders earning more, what’s not to like? 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, eric i said:

What about if he got a Premiership place as well?

if he managed to get a top flight place then im sure it'd be more of a possibility

12 hours ago, flagrag said:

It appears that Ellis may have the Speedway bug back and at present it looks like he may be heading up to Scotland to replace an overseas based rider in an enforced change due to Covid travel restrictions. 

This is unless Scunthorpe or Redcar can better the deal that has been offered which i understand is heavily backed by a sponsor to provide equipment, mechanic and a better deal than what was offered at Leicester 

Brilliant! "Cheque book Speedway survives world wide pandemic", anyone else can go fluff themselves, meanwhile the rest of us pray for the sport's survival.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Najjer said:

I can’t stand Godfrey, but in this case fair play to him for standing his ground on this one. All too often in British Speedway promotors have caved and bowed down to rider demands, which is one of the reasons we are in the state we are in as a whole.

Rob has history in not bowing down to rider demands. A few seasons ago when we needed another rider, this rider apparently wanted this & this & Rob said this is what I can afford & if you need more make it up your own way with personal sponsorship. If you want to ride for Scunthorpe this is what I can pay. This, also, was mentioned to a few possible guest appearances for other riders. 

16 hours ago, Najjer said:

Sorry for hijacking the Scunthorpe thread with this...

But... Another point to expand on my earlier point of 6 man teams, which makes the idea even more of an oversight in my opinion is that individual rider demands would be somewhat lowered in that they would go from competing in 4/5 races per meeting to potentially 5/6 (probably even 7 with rider replacement if that was in use). So using the likes of Jake Allen as an example, especially paired with a Premiership team, his earnings would be significantly higher than as it is currently. 1 less rider to find per team, riders earning more, what’s not to like? 

This was an area I posted on about 3 or 4 years ago to try & eliminate or cut down the use of guests. With riders having more races they could potentially earn more & the fans to have more of a "home" team feel. If a rider was absent then you dispense with the R/R rule but use the IIR rule instead where 2 riders above & below the missing rider could take the extra rides which would be a more balanced replacement. A no7(as a no8 now) must be named to take the reserve riders place when necessary.

• Like 1

As Redcar are now two riders short , it might well come down to six man teams as I can’t see the new visa stance only affecting Andersen, a few other non UK based riders might be worrying now.

Vissing & now Andersen makes you wonder if more riders could drop out & reading the Redcar news, it seems British based riders are required. What of our own riders as we have 3 in this criteria. TJ, I think, is based in England but has foreign commitments. Aarnio I am not sure but think I have seen his name in a foreign team squad. Pijper, even with his 2 lads racing, I am not sure where he is now based, but has long track/grass track commitments.

3 hours ago, Ringitsneck said:

As Redcar are now two riders short , it might well come down to six man teams as I can’t see the new visa stance only affecting Andersen, a few other non UK based riders might be worrying now.

You can’t jut say that I feel for the Redcar fans I really do,but for someone like me who has bought 3 season tickets this season for Plymouth because we have crump and pedersen it would be bang out of order for us to lose one of them because other teams went one way to picking a team and it’s not worked out Newcastle are weak this season but there not saying six man teams.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Mike0310 said:

Newcastle are weak this season but there not saying six man teams.

Newcastle might not look so weak, once one or two more overseas riders start dropping out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mike0310 said:

You can’t jut say that I feel for the Redcar fans I really do, but for someone like me who has bought 3 season tickets this season for Plymouth because we have crump and Pedersen it would be bang out of order for us to lose one of them because other teams went one way to picking a team and it’s not worked out Newcastle are weak this season but there not saying six man teams.

Think you are right however 6 man teams for next year (or 5) must be on the BSPL agenda for discussion at least; although we have been down this route before a few years back and 6 man teams was shown to work at a practice session but the reluctance to give up 2 reserves for the different format was a bridge to far for some of the old guard... it was time to change then and some promotions thought it was ok and wanted to give it a go and others didn't want to look at it and weren't prepared to look at it; so maybe not... however saying that there was just as much arguing over the tyre sizes at the same meeting and by dropping from a 19" to an 18" would have saved a fortune in tyres (long story) but this was kicked out because "we've always had 19" tyres" (which I don't think is true as I am sure I have read somewhere back in the day they used a 22" tyre and the 19" only came in around the mid 50's) so change is very difficult for some to take. (and very slow in the BSPL)

Redcar wont drop out and they will pull in couple of riders; maybe they will have some success with Claus Vissing at 8.43 leaving 3.11 for a Brit reserve who knows but at the end of the day they have 11.46 to play with for riders (not including any reductions)… as mentioned earlier there is the NZ connection and they could even have a punt for BWD... if not James Sarjeant is available and a 4 or 5 point rider added to that; Chris Schramm was considering making a comeback and we have had one Compton in Benji going to Belle Vue what about Andre? could he be tempted back...

Covid; Poland and Brexit (to a lesser extent) have a lot to answer for but Redcar have a good promotion and they will be at the tape's with a 7 man team this season that's for sure; just possibly not a strong as they might have liked; but surely fans understand these logistical problems due to varying circumstance and after all we are trying to cram a full season into just over 4 months... lets just get on with it get this year out of the way and look to something better next year. 

On next year I have a sneaking fancy that the Poles will be saying to their riders you cant ride abroad so where will that leave all these guys who are members of squads; will they be prepared to kick their heals for a season keeping a bench warm... think we might find a much larger rider choice (if not that much stronger) next season if the Polish clubs run to form... Just a guess that mind...

Regards
THJ

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
Spelling, Spell Check and Eyesight

Also, maths is not a strong point ;)

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

Also, maths is not a strong point ;)

Take the 2.5% reduction off IS its 3.03 for a foreign rider and I did qualify the numbers with "for a Brit" and "not including any reductions" but thanks for the kicking even if a little undeserved...

Regards
THJ

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Take the 2.5% reduction off IS its 3.03 for a foreign rider and I did qualify the numbers with "for a Brit" and "not including any reductions" but thanks for the kicking even if a little undeserved...

Regards
THJ

Would be nice to see Ryan Kinsley get a championship place because he deserves it given his progression last season for Scunny and seems a genuine nice lad 

• Like 3