British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

I know there were 2 Gordeevs' BUT....

Both Valeri and Vladimir made World Final appearances- I've got Vladimir appearing in 1970-71-74-75( 0 pts. from reserve)--76.. Highest score was 11  in 1971, but not sure if he got excluded later.. For Valeri  I've got 1972-73-75-76. Can anyone confirm that my records are accurate-reason I am asking is that in the Maurice Jones History of World Finals book-there might be a misprint (can't find the book right now) and he might have got the two mixed up .

Not a completely reliable source but Wikipedia confirms your stats. And I remember Vladimir being disqualified in 1971. Fuel additives, particularly nitro methane, were banned and his fuel was analysed after the meeting and found to be illegal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Gordeev
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valery_Gordeev

Edited by False dawn

1 hour ago, BOBBATH said:

Both Valeri and Vladimir made World Final appearances- I've got Vladimir appearing in 1970-71-74-75( 0 pts. from reserve)--76.. Highest score was 11  in 1971, but not sure if he got excluded later.. For Valeri  I've got 1972-73-75-76. Can anyone confirm that my records are accurate-reason I am asking is that in the Maurice Jones History of World Finals book-there might be a misprint (can't find the book right now) and he might have got the two mixed up .

There was a conspiracy doing the rounds I recall that they were one in the same after Vladimir was disqualified and Valeri suddenly appeared on the scene...nonsense, of course, but it did raise a few eyebrows at the time.

Speedway Researcher also shows those years for both.

I knew I had something that proved there were two of them......

Valeri and Vladimir Gordeev.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, False dawn said:

I knew I had something that proved there were two of them......

Valeri and Vladimir Gordeev.jpg

They first appeared together in Britain in 1974 I believe.

8 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

They first appeared together in Britain in 1974 I believe.

Just long enough for the cloning process to come to fruition. :blink:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, False dawn said:

Just long enough for the cloning process to come to fruition. :blink:

Unfortunately the England vs. Russia match due to take place at Cowley in 1974 was cancelled because of rain but I eventuallly caught up with them when they both rode in an international challenge against Swindon in 1976.

On 12/31/2019 at 9:56 PM, steve roberts said:

Unfortunately the England vs. Russia match due to take place at Cowley in 1974 was cancelled because of rain but I eventuallly caught up with them when they both rode in an international challenge against Swindon in 1976.

I went to the test between England and USSR on the 27/07/ 74  at Swindon Steve .Vladimir scoring 13pts spoiling Ashby's 18 pt maximum and Valeri  scoring 0 England won 66/41 Kuzmin 10pts and the talented  Khlinovsky 11 pts  also rode.In 1976 the fixture you spoke of  the Robins  won  47/31 Khlinovsky again scoring 8 pts Victor Trofimov scoring only four pts from reserve they were great events .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Valeri is still actively involved with the sport as the head coach of the Balakovo club...or at least he was last season. I presume he's continuing for 2020.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

I went to the test between England and USSR on the 27/07/ 74  at Swindon Steve .Vladimir scoring 13pts spoiling Ashby's 18 pt maximum and Valeri  scoring 0 England won 66/41 Kuzmin 10pts and the talented  Khlinovsky 11 pts  also rode.In 1976 the fixture you spoke of  the Robins  won  47/31 Khlinovsky again scoring 8 pts Victor Trofimov scoring only four pts from reserve they were great events .

I remember being very disappointed by the Cowley postponement. It had attracted massive interest although, if I recall, the England team wasn't represented by the main stars of the time but with those making their test debuts. Of course in those days England had so many talented riders that could have filled 2-3 teams.

10 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I remember being very disappointed by the Cowley postponement. It had attracted massive interest although, if I recall, the England team wasn't represented by the main stars of the time but with those making their test debuts. Of course in those days England had so many talented riders that could have filled 2-3 teams.

The England side at Swindon  Steve was  like you said made up of youth and experience    Ashby 17, Jessup 16, Davey  16, Louis 6, ( 2 ex in that ) Thomas 5, Auffrett 4, Coles 2 

10 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

The England side at Swindon  Steve was  like you said made up of youth and experience    Ashby 17, Jessup 16, Davey  16, Louis 6, ( 2 ex in that ) Thomas 5, Auffrett 4, Coles 2 

Yes and Richard Greer was down to make his senior debut at Cowley (I think that he later rode at Wolves?). From memory both Bob Kilby and Gordon Kennett were due to ride at Cowley also.

Great days Sid!

6 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Yes and Richard Greer was down to make his senior debut at Cowley (I think that he later rode at Wolves?). From memory both Bob Kilby and Gordon Kennett were due to ride at Cowley also.

Great days Sid!

One thing that did strike me Steve was the aquipment the Russian's had crikey it looked shabby.It  looked  dated and tired but you could tell as a nation there were a hard / disciplined  race.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

To think that Chlinovsky was just won ride away from being World Champion in 1973 if he hadn't been involved with that infamous clash with Zenon Plech.

• Thanks 1