British Speedway Forum
old bob at herne bay

Will British Speedway Survive ?

31 minutes ago, MattK said:

Well, one of us can't count ;)

Speedway attendances are one of life's great mysteries. Like "Is there a God" and "Do we have free will?"

With only 800 people that would mean the old cheap side would be virtually empty.Last year at the Abbey the old cheap side bend two was filled quite nicely at times and is probably the best view to be had at the stadium now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

So important Witcher this happening it has stayed with me forever and Lee Kilby is pushing and trying  very hard to get kids involved at Swindon.It is heartwarming when you see the young uns looking at the bikes beforehand in awe this has to be maintained.

At Wolves you can go down to the pits pre-meeting, usually up until around 7pm.

You don't go into the pits, but your standing alongside them looking in with numerous bikes against the barrier less than a metre away. Riders often wonder over for photos or a chat.

There's usually around 100 or so fans congregated there.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MattK said:

It is pointless to clubs, as children do not like AD/DC, the calming tones of Richard Crowley (he's the announcer at Swindon) and filling our pieces of paper with pens. Bring children to speedway only once the presentation has been completely overhaul and dragged, kicking and screaming, into the 21st century. Or, promote to the people who currently make up the majority of speedway's paying customers, the over 50s.

As I’ve already posted here, that strategy isn’t going to bring new faces in. It is no more than just giving up. The over 50s who attend now are in the main long term fans of 20-30 plus years. A lot of them won’t be around in another 20-30 years, although at the rate we’re going they will outlive the sport anyway.

Their contemporaries age wise will more likely than not have been exposed to the sport already at some point in their lives and decided they didn’t like it. And that will have been during a time when Speedway was in a better place than it is now. 

I’d be very concerned if the thought process of anyone involved in the sport was to market to over 50s solely because they make up the majority of the present, ever dwindling crowds. But then that is a very Speedway thing to do, worry about today rather than having any kind of long term plan. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HGould said:

........ Trips to Wolverhampton though on the other hand far less enthusiasm same old Presentation as 10 years ago.

Hang on...... Mr Wolf has been updated to a Sylvester the Cat look-a-like!!! .... and Porky Spoon has halved his weight!!!! Fair point though :D:D

1 hour ago, Ben91 said:

As I’ve already posted here, that strategy isn’t going to bring new faces in. It is no more than just giving up. The over 50s who attend now are in the main long term fans of 20-30 plus years. A lot of them won’t be around in another 20-30 years, although at the rate we’re going they will outlive the sport anyway.

Their contemporaries age wise will more likely than not have been exposed to the sport already at some point in their lives and decided they didn’t like it. And that will have been during a time when Speedway was in a better place than it is now. 

I’d be very concerned if the thought process of anyone involved in the sport was to market to over 50s solely because they make up the majority of the present, ever dwindling crowds. But then that is a very Speedway thing to do, worry about today rather than having any kind of long term plan. 

A lot of people knock spectator sports on the head when they settle down and have kids, some never go again. I carried on going regardless. I've always been a selfish bugger!

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

A lot of people knock spectator sports on the head when they settle down and have kids, some never go again. I carried on going regardless. I've always been a selfish bugger!

Is that out of choice or are they advised to..... :)

Edited by BWitcher

13 hours ago, BWitcher said:

No it doesn't have a 'death rate' of between 6 and 10%.

When in doubt, make it up eh?

Well according to the UK office figures 60733 confirmed cases with 7094 deaths that puts the death rate at 8% while Spain and Italy both run at around 10%.

45 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

Is that out of choice or are they advised to..... :)

Advised i reckon. I never take advice from the missus. I agree to everything and do nothing!

4 hours ago, steve roberts said:

I remember as a kid being allowed access to the pits after the racing collecting autographs and being in awe of the riders...and of course during the interval one lucky kid got the chance to ride pillion on a bike but, of course, Health & Safety put a stop to that.

The good old days Steve lol 2 of my biggest memories were going pillion with Finn Thomsen and George Hunter.

Then going to 1977 Jubilee fancy dress a few weeks later with a face scarf Finn gave me, with my homemade Wolves bib, dads safety goggles etc etc!!

I was hooked!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Spl77 said:

Well according to the UK office figures 60733 confirmed cases with 7094 deaths that puts the death rate at 8% while Spain and Italy both run at around 10%.

You do realise at least 80% of cases aren't tested?

Try again with countries that test more.

USA has tested the most, its 3.5%

Even that's not accurate, as there will be thousands that aren't tested... plus there will be more die of those already tested. No figure can be given with any certainty at this stage. 

One thing is absolutely certain though, its nowhere near 6,8 or 10%.

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Advised i reckon. I never take advice from the missus. I agree to everything and do nothing!

I am the same City huff and puff moan and groan but she still gets her way but 99 per cent of the time she is right.!!!!

30 minutes ago, rjsj9803 said:

The good old days Steve lol 2 of my biggest memories were going pillion with Finn Thomsen and George Hunter.

Then going to 1977 Jubilee fancy dress a few weeks later with a face scarf Finn gave me, with my homemade Wolves bib, dads safety goggles etc etc!!

I was hooked!

Yes I also remember presenting Dag Lovaas with a bottle of champagne at the final meeting of 1975 on the centre green at Cowley. Funny but both Finn and George were riding in that meeting as was Gary Petersen which I guess may well have been his last meeting before he was tragically killed.

I was hooked form the very first meeting I attended...probably the smell but I do recall being absolutely thrilled seeing these mad blokes riding bikes with no brakes and without a care it seemed. Great memories!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

So important Witcher this happening it has stayed with me forever and Lee Kilby is pushing and trying  very hard to get kids involved at Swindon.It is heartwarming when you see the young uns looking at the bikes beforehand in awe this has to be maintained.

I remember trying to get Hasse Holmqvist's autograph as he was hanging out of the changing room window at Cowely after one particular meeting!

22 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

You do realise at least 80% of cases aren't tested?

Try again with countries that test more.

USA has tested the most, its 3.5%

Even that's not accurate, as there will be thousands that aren't tested... plus there will be more die of those already tested. No figure can be given with any certainty at this stage. 

One thing is absolutely certain though, its nowhere near 6,8 or 10%.

If that's your argument don't compare it to flu then as the vast majority of flu cases go un tested/confirmed.  If you want to quote figures you can only use official ones in which case covid 19 is running at approx 8% in the UK compared to less than 1% for normal flu. 

People like you piss me off. Neither myself or my wife know any family that has had a loved one die because of flu so far between us we know 4 family's that have had a loved one die because of covid 19. 

I have nothing more to say if we don't see any speedway this year that is totally fine as long as this is beaten. In the meantime go and stick you head in the sand and let those of us who have to deal and work with this get on with it. 

• Like 1

Just now, steve roberts said:

I remember trying to get Hasse Holmqvist's autograph as he was hanging out of the changing room window at Cowely after one particular meeting!

Swindon  Steve was great , get there for 6. O'clock get your prize target Mauger,  Olsen, Michanek, Betts, Wilson ( etc).The riders then it was a different era only certain foreign commitments then so mostly they stayed for the second half.Only got Hasse once Steve to sign did not see alot of him at all couple of times for the cheetahs and Sweden the one year there was a while when they operated R/R.

• Like 1