British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Welwyn

2021 SGP Field

Grigori Laguta is the best rider outside the GPs yet he doesn't even feature in the substitutes list.

They’ve gone mainly for youngsters, plus the guy who was extremely unlucky in the challenge. Can see what they are trying to do to be fair. 

The issue comes if somebody misses most of the series and the subs aren’t up to it, it then weakens the product although you can imagine somebody like Lidsey giving it a good go if he got the opportunity. 

35 minutes ago, eric i said:

Grigori Laguta is the best rider outside the GPs yet he doesn't even feature in the substitutes list.

HE has never given any indication that he wants to compete. Only rode in the GP Challenge this year because he was allocated a place.

14 hours ago, Col said:

Michelsen in fairness to him was a last minute replacement for Smolinski. He didn't have a winter to prepare mentally, financially or mechanically for being a GP rider. He will never be a World Champion but I'm not convinced Thomsen is better.

On the other hand he was desperately disappointed that he wasn't in, so must have been up for it. But I do give you the fact after he found out he wasn't in, he must have dropped his guard and not prepared how he would have done

21 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

HE has never given any indication that he wants to compete. Only rode in the GP Challenge this year because he was allocated a place.

I doubt he went to Croatia for the money.

Maybe Gregori Laguta does not want to be in the GP’s.  Takes a lot of money (sponsorship), physical fitness, mental fitness, to be able to compete at the highest level. The riders who dedicate their lives to the goal of being a world champ in any major sport is tough. At the very top level of speedway ie the GP’s, I would imagine There are no easy races. Just look how fit Freddy, Tai, Doyle, Zmarzlik are. Years ago riders probably not too bothered what they ate, now they will have nutritionalists advising what and how much to eat. Probably got personal trainers. The rewards can be high, especially riding in Poland, but being at the very top in the GP’s will be tough, maybe Greg likes the level he at and earns a good sum for it.

49 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

They’ve gone mainly for youngsters.....

Funny you should say that.

I was looking up some details on Oliver Berntzon. The SpeedwayGP website has his date of birth as 1970-01-02.
I know he has been knocking on the door for a while but.... :blink:

This 1970 date is the start of the 'dates' in IT systems. I guess they haven't got his DOB defined in the website.

It should be 02-08-1993.

Boring choices for wildcards, same old faces next year.  Fricke and Thomsen fair enough - I'd have given Lidsey a place, as U21 champion.  Feel sorry for Smolinski who was going to be in it this year but got injured.  Glad Locktaev is a sub, deserved to get through the challenge.  The rule of top six is clearly pointless.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, eric i said:

Piotr Pawlicki is as good. IMO.Poland banned him from competing because he pulled out of National Team at short notice at the end of last season( along with Janowski and 1 other).

3 hours ago, DutchGrasstrack said:

Substitutes:

1. Aleksandr Loktaev
2. Jaimon Lidsey
3. Dominik Kubera
4. Oleg Mihailov
5. Dan Bewley
6. Lukas Fienhage
7. Jan Kvech

No disrespect to them,but Bewley,Fienhage and Mihailov are nowhere near GP level.Pretty poor choices.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Piotr Pawlicki is as good. IMO.Poland banned him from competing because he pulled out of National Team at short notice at the end of last season( along with Janowski and 1 other).

Definitely should be on the sub list.

7 minutes ago, eric i said:

why did he take part then?

Probably would have got a ban if he didn’t after being nominated.Thats Speedway!!!