British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Poole v Redcar. Championship. 11th August 2021

3 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

STUPID eh ? :nono: May the rain gods pee down on you every Wednesday in Dorset from next week till the end of October. :party:

Not pointless at all - in fact I was being fair and reasonable - ONE POINT each - if you would take time to read the content of my post !

A re run meeting should only take place on appeal to the BSPL ...where they should review the facts and see if all reasonable steps were taken to run the original fixture.  (hire temporary staff ?) Far too many fans plans are being disrupted  on a whim by promotions who seem to just take the option of  restaging  at a later date.  Cynics would look a the proposed Poole team and say that it gives them more time to strengthen their side (the Basso lad  not being available tomorrow) Although I am certain Poole never would (or ever have) done that in their history

I doubt many Redcar fans would trust the Poole management to honour any restaging date.

This should be the stance taken for all postponed meetings for  weather or non weather related issues , primarlily to avoid fixture congestion.  The emphasis should be on running the meetings whenever possible  on the original dates. 

Birmingham should be banned then, they just run meeting when they  want and pick their opponents.Get a Grip.:rolleyes:

• Like 2

The entire shambolic leagues seem to be run for the benefit of the band of promoters , with NO regard for the paying public.

So getting a grip is precisely what BSPL should be doing. 

YUP - Birmingham should be investigated by the BSPL - I am not just singling out Poole here....... indeed they should have been investigated from their opening meeting which was a total disgrace , and that meeting SHOULD have been awarded with all points to Redcar, due to Birminghams failure to provide a suitable race track.

Still not certain whether Birmingham have confirmed that they will be able to honour their remaining fixtures?Sadly if no one wants to watch speedway in Birmingham, (to be honest they seem more interested in cricket at Edgbaston)  then running the more attractive fixtures for a few weeks is jsut delaying the inevitable.  Newcastle appear to have sorted out a package to run until the end of theseason.

Other clubs requiring investigation for premature "non weather" related call offs  include Eastbourne.....

Edited by old bob at herne bay
  • Sad 1

What is it with this postponement?

The Poole management have tried every angle to get this to run.

It is out of their hands completely.

And I'm pretty certain to become a licensee you can't do it in 2 days.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

STUPID eh ? :nono: May the rain gods pee down on you every Wednesday in Dorset from next week till the end of October. :party:

Not pointless at all - in fact I was being fair and reasonable - ONE POINT each - if you would take time to read the content of my post !

A re run meeting should only take place on appeal to the BSPL ...where they should review the facts and see if all reasonable steps were taken to run the original fixture.  (hire temporary staff ?) Far too many fans plans are being disrupted  on a whim by promotions who seem to just take the option of  restaging  at a later date.  Cynics would look a the proposed Poole team and say that it gives them more time to strengthen their side (the Basso lad  not being available tomorrow) Although I am certain Poole never would (or ever have) done that in their history

I doubt many Redcar fans would trust the Poole management to honour any restaging date.

This should be the stance taken for all postponed meetings for  weather or non weather related issues , primarlily to avoid fixture congestion.  The emphasis should be on running the meetings whenever possible  on the original dates. 

Sorry Bob, but I disagree entirely with you.

The meeting should be restaged to allow riders to earn money and the club to earn revenue.

The sport is in trouble with dwindling crowds add in the delayed start to this season and at Poole Stadium because of Covid restrictions the club lost money with only being allowed 1300 spectators at the first two meetings.

Without  supporters and meetings, clubs will not survive.

Tomorrow's meeting being cancelled is beyond the control of Poole Speedway.

Stadium staff being pinged by the NHS Covid App to self isolate. 

Therefore the club has no access to the stadium tomorrow evening .

I will also take you to task on the fact you stated Redcar fans won't trust the Poole management to honour tickets for any restaging date. 

That remark is not only inappropriate its borderline slanderous. 

You are entitled to your opinion but its not constructive and  I don't consider your post is a fair reflection at all.

Edited by Shaleshifter
Typing error
  • Like 7
  • Confused 1

As the intended sponsor of the Poole v Redcar meeting, as soon as the rearranged date is confirmed, I'll ask Danny Ford to see if the meeting can be streamed - especially for those Redcar fans who have missed out this week.

Maybe Redcar could arrange the same next Friday for those Poole fans not able to travel?! (Assuming its not rained off of course;))

• Like 2

I would be more than happy to pay for a stream of Redcar v Poole as would many other speedway fans.

• Like 1

Maybe we shudnt have any meetings at all and get the all party parliamentary group for speedway to give each club £100,000 and give all the trophies to us the mighty Pirates :t:

Then we can all go up the East End av a pub sing along with plenty of booze to wash down the jellied eels! :drink:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

As the intended sponsor of the Poole v Redcar meeting, as soon as the rearranged date is confirmed, I'll ask Danny Ford to see if the meeting can be streamed - especially for those Redcar fans who have missed out this week.

Maybe Redcar could arrange the same next Friday for those Poole fans not able to travel?! (Assuming its not rained off of course;))

Whilst we are working hard behind the scenes to sort a live stream out for the future, it's not quite that easy. We need a licence from the BSPL to start with.

But watch this space!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Shaleshifter said:

Sorry Bob, but I disagree entirely with you.

The meeting should be restaged to allow riders to earn money and the club to earn revenue.

The sport is in trouble with dwindling crowds add in the delayed start to this season and at Poole Stadium because of Covid restrictions the club lost money with only being allowed 1300 spectators at the first two meetings.

Without  supporters and meetings, clubs will not survive.

Tomorrow's meeting being cancelled is beyond the control of Poole Speedway.

Stadium staff being pinged by the NHS Covid App to self isolate. 

Therefore the club has no access to the stadium tomorrow evening .

I will also take you to task on the fact you stated Redcar fans won't trust the Poole management to honour tickets for any restaging date. 

That remark is not only inappropriate its borderline slanderous. 

You are entitled to your opinion but its not constructive and  I don't consider your post is a fair reflection at all.

Poole simply arn’t running their club right if they’re losing money with 1,300 fans through the gate in the Championship, there’s no other way to put it

• Confused 1

50 minutes ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

Poole simply arn’t running their club right if they’re losing money with 1,300 fans through the gate in the Championship, there’s no other way to put it

There is another way to put it.

Stadium rent, is extortionate and add in riders wages plus  they don't receive any money from the carpark,  here lies the problem.

14 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

The entire shambolic leagues seem to be run for the benefit of the band of promoters , with NO regard for the paying public.

So getting a grip is precisely what BSPL should be doing. 

YUP - Birmingham should be investigated by the BSPL - I am not just singling out Poole here....... indeed they should have been investigated from their opening meeting which was a total disgrace , and that meeting SHOULD have been awarded with all points to Redcar, due to Birminghams failure to provide a suitable race track.

Still not certain whether Birmingham have confirmed that they will be able to honour their remaining fixtures?Sadly if no one wants to watch speedway in Birmingham, (to be honest they seem more interested in cricket at Edgbaston)  then running the more attractive fixtures for a few weeks is jsut delaying the inevitable.  Newcastle appear to have sorted out a package to run until the end of theseason.

Other clubs requiring investigation for premature "non weather" related call offs  include Eastbourne.....

So you attack Poole, Birmingham and others.

Clearly don't give a fig about the sport do we?

People in glasshouses should not throw stones as the saying goes, you must live in a crystal palace.

Let's look at Kent shall we?

Stop / Start to the season, changed Fixtures, cancelled fixtures, then let spectators in to a match that clearly has no chance of starting with a damning referees report from a senior referee.

Go polish your glass 

1 hour ago, Shaleshifter said:

Stadium rent, is extortionate and add in riders wages plus  they don't receive any money from the carpark,  here lies the problem.

Berwick don’t receive any money from carpark, they let people park for free, as do plenty other places, if you’re getting 1,300 and not making a profit in this league, you’ve spent too much on rider wages, that’s probably going to be more than £20,000 takings per meeting, if your outgoing costs are more than that a week, then you shouldn’t be in this league, no wonder clubs like Birmingham and Newcastle are struggling when that’s what they’re up against, they don’t get near half of your attendance that you’re making a loss on

15 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

I would be more than happy to pay for a stream of Redcar v Poole as would many other speedway fans.

Ditto :t:

2 hours ago, Shaleshifter said:

The rent is not as much as some clubs are paying that's a fact. Riders wages probably the same as lots of clubs, as for car park most times the money goes to the owner.  So I would say 1300 you would be making money or at least brake even. 

• Like 2