British Speedway Forum
Endeavour

Glasgow V Edinburgh KO Cup 10 October

On 10/11/2021 at 3:29 PM, edmon said:

Best team won on the night but what was the referee playing at in heat 15?  Clearly under the rules Brennan should have been penalised as he was not on his machine, still gardening, as the 2 minutes expired.  I know that a strong referee would have done so.

I take it you don't know the 2 minute rule then? You only have to be on the track making your way to the tapes. Could be just entering from the pit gate

• Confused 1

011.1.5 Starting Offence
The following are deemed to be starting offences: -
a) failure to meet the 2 minute time allowance
b) gate preparation after the expiry of the 2 minute allowance
c) not obeying the Start Marshals instructions
d) when a rider’s motorcycle or any part of their body or equipment 
touches or breaks the starting tapes whilst the green starting light 
is on or prevents the raising of the start gate
e) returning to the pits, as detailed above under 011.1.3
f) delaying the start in any other manner, or who prevents the 
starting gate from being released properly
A referee may issue a warning for a Starting Offence c and f above. Starting 

Offences a, b, d and e are disqualifications.

Looks like b) above is relevant so Edmon is correct. 

4 hours ago, Marshall07 said:

I take it you don't know the 2 minute rule then? You only have to be on the track making your way to the tapes. Could be just entering from the pit gate

You could  wrong there.Trouble is not all tracks have Countdown Clock therefore the Refs discretion comes into play at some tracks IMO.

Edited by Fromafar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

You could  wrong there.Trouble is not all tracks have Countdown Clock therefore the Refs discretion comes into play at some tracks IMO.

I'm sure the guy doing race times will keep the ref right with two minutes time.

6 minutes ago, tyretrax said:

I'm sure the guy doing race times will keep the ref right with two minutes time.

Agree ,but the Ref has act when the time is up where there is no clock.Most refs don’t seem to care as long as the rider has left the pits which condridicts the rules.All you see is them flashing the green lights.Clocks should mandatory in this day and age.IMO

• Like 1

Clubs would soon put clocks in place if the ref keeps excluding the home riders for exceeding the time limits!

9 hours ago, Marshall07 said:

Not if you have a two minute clock.  Rider is delaying the start if gardening after the two minutes.

Unfortunately you need to check the rule book again.

• Like 1

No one wants big meetings to be decided on a 2 minute exclusion. Would much prefer a bit of referee discretion as is the normal in the British leagues. Clocks on the centre green has to be universal at all the tracks in the league before they start to enforce that.

This grumpy old men mentallity that we don't want gardening and returning to the pits is beyond me. I would far rather all 4 riders were as best prepared as possible to give us the best race possible and will happily take getting home 15-20 minutes later for better racing than a race spoiled by going down to 3.

On Sunday at the Son, all four riders in the Final were still gardening as the clock ran down.   Would the referee have survived with his life, had he disqualified Lambert (again) or Zmarslk and decided the gold medal? 

1 hour ago, crescent girl said:

On Sunday at the Son, all four riders in the Final were still gardening as the clock ran down.   Would the referee have survived with his life, had he disqualified Lambert (again) or Zmarslk and decided the gold medal? 

Think what we need is consistency from officials. Some are sticklers and some apply common sense. The longer leniency is shown the more a habit it becomes for riders. Then when a referee sticks to letter of law he is the bad one.

29 minutes ago, Endeavour said:

Think what we need is consistency from officials. Some are sticklers and some apply common sense. The longer leniency is shown the more a habit it becomes for riders. Then when a referee sticks to letter of law he is the bad one.

The only stickler is the grand monarch himself James McGregor :rofl:

1 hour ago, crescent girl said:

They were ready to race before the time ran out though.So what’s your point,you can see them checking the clock.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

They were ready to race before the time ran out though.So what’s your point,you can see them checking the clock.

Yes all 4 were ready to race before the clock ran down, I was sat in the stand and could see the clock clearly.

• Thanks 1