British Speedway Forum
iainb

Leicester vs Birmingham 26/03/2022 KoC 1st Round 1st Leg

Well Birmingham were rubbish. Great to be back to the lions den but my god it was a no contest!! 

Vissing only lost to Morris, Worrall & Howarth and finishes on 8 from 5 rides. Shows how difficult it could be for visiting heat leaders at Leicester this year!

On the other side Joe Thompson scores a paid max from number 7, of the riders he raced against, only once did they beat a Leicester rider (not counting non-finishes)! So was Joe good or just have an easy night against weak opposition? Or maybe both?

Edited by szkocjasid

10 minutes ago, iainb said:

Even if Ellis had only scored 10, at least the tie would still be alive. So not only have the Leicester fans been mugged off tonight, the Brummie fans will be expected to turn up to watch a dead rubber at the 2nd leg and they wonder why nobody goes to Birmingham... No winners

Very good crowd tonight too. I wonder what anyone attending a speedway meeting for the first time thought? More importantly, would they want to come back? What was served up on the track wasn’t that appealing.

One of the saddest sights of the night for me was Josh Auty. He’s had plenty of laps of this track in separate spells with the Lions but looked no better than younger or less experienced riders. Would he be racing this season if Brum hadn’t come calling?

9 hours ago, screm said:

You are missing the point, a footballer doesn't sign for a team then is unavailable for that team because they are away playing for another team in another fixture.

Not all that absurd, plenty of cases in football where a new player signs plays a.match or two and then goes missing for something like a month for the Africa Cup of Nations. However, the teams can normally call on an adequate replacement, unlike being unnecessarily penalised as in speedway. Liverpool don't have to call up a player from their under 16 squad.

Everyone lost tonight, but the sport of speedway was the biggest loser.

• Like 1

Why start with KO cup match,would be my question for Brummie management + given the fact that one of your main men was not even signed,then can’t make the the fixture due to other commitments.The sport is Mickey Mouse and keeps shooting itself in the foot regarding credibility and the paying punters.

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Why start with KO cup match,would be my question for Brummie management + given the fact that one of your main men was not even signed,then can’t make the the fixture due to other commitments.The sport is Mickey Mouse and keeps shooting itself in the foot regarding credibility and the paying punters.

It's almost as if they couldn't give a toss about the promotion and fans they are visiting B)

• Like 1

I'm really pleased to see that the manager gave Pearson 5 rides... giving him some valuable track time. Good shout Bossman! 

Great to see Ash make a positive start to the season,  he's a great rider when he's on it.... Heat Leader potential !

Edited by GiveusaB

Given that Birmingham riders had only done a few laps on press day since the end of last season, it was always going to be one-sided against a Leicester team that have been together for a couple of seasons and at home. 

I think one area where speedway can improve is by having a few friendly meetings if possible and maybe a couple of 5 minutes practice laps before a meeting. Be good for bike set up and for the riders to loosen up. I've never understood how riders are expected to get out of the van, get changed and race seriously without any sort of practice, especially after being off a bike for months. You wouldn't expect Moto GP riders to just turn up on race day and race nor would you expect Liverpool to do their press shots and then play Man City the day after. 

Is this Lions record win? 

Biggest win I can find in the Beaumont Park era is 63-27 (twice last season v Brum & Newc.)

10 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Given that Birmingham riders had only done a few laps on press day since the end of last season, it was always going to be one-sided against a Leicester team that have been together for a couple of seasons and at home. 

I think one area where speedway can improve is by having a few friendly meetings if possible and maybe a couple of 5 minutes practice laps before a meeting. Be good for bike set up and for the riders to loosen up. I've never understood how riders are expected to get out of the van, get changed and race seriously without any sort of practice, especially after being off a bike for months. You wouldn't expect Moto GP riders to just turn up on race day and race nor would you expect Liverpool to do their press shots and then play Man City the day after. 

They could have gone to Leicester or Scunthorpe for pre-season practice.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sotonian said:

They could have gone to Leicester or Scunthorpe for pre-season practice.

They could but its hardly the same as some sort of competitive racing. Speedway flirt with being 'professional' by streaming etc and yet seem happy to miss this basic thing. 

10 hours ago, iainb said:

It's almost as if they couldn't give a toss about the promotion and fans they are visiting B)

Amazingly coincidental how when a No1 is not available, it is an away match they miss...

Always seem to make the home meetings though...

Why bother running such meetings? The home team may want to as they have an advantage, but all it does is devalue the very competition they want to get an advantage in, (to the point of the competition having no real value at all), and the away team may want to run it as they actually save money not having their most expensive rider there..

Either way, the fans lose out, but ultimately, long term so does the sport, as such nonsense finally erodes the support of even the die hards...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, GiveusaB said:

I'm really pleased to see that the manager gave Pearson 5 rides... giving him some valuable track time. Good shout Bossman! 

Great to see Ash make a positive start to the season,  he's a great rider when he's on it.... Heat Leader potential !

Might have to be this year lol

40 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Amazingly coincidental how when a No1 is not available, it is an away match they miss...

Always seem to make the home meetings though...

Why bother running such meetings? The home team may want to as they have an advantage, but all it does is devalue the very competition they want to get an advantage in, (to the point of the competition having no real value at all), and the away team may want to run it as they actually save money not having their most expensive rider there..

Either way, the fans lose out, but ultimately, long term so does the sport, as such nonsense finally erodes the support of even the die hards...

ADAM ELLIS IS NOT THE NUMBER 1

10 minutes ago, Diamonds85 said:

Might have to be this year lol

ADAM ELLIS IS NOT THE NUMBER 1

Correct ,very strong Team then, Leicester just got lucky.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3