British Speedway Forum
Hot Shoe

Speedways Motocrossers

Don Smith was better known as a Trials rider but was also pretty good on the Speedway (with Hackney I think?) and Scrambles as well. Unfortunately he passed away last week.

... you may have noticed him wearing the Orange n Black kevlars when he is not riding for Swindon in the E.L. matches.

I notice everything, Ozyace :D

btw

what's happened to our team?

Don Smith was better known as a Trials rider but was also pretty good on the Speedway (with Hackney I think?) and Scrambles as well. Unfortunately he passed away last week.

Sad news indeed. Don Smith was a brilliant Trials rider (Twice European Trials Champion) and all-rounder.

I would loved to have seen the Greeves 2-Stroke engined Speedway machine he was developing some years ago.

Sad news indeed. Don Smith was a brilliant Trials rider (Twice European Trials Champion) and all-rounder.

I would loved to have seen the Greeves 2-Stroke engined Speedway machine he was developing some years ago.

i think don designed the folding footrest for speedway

Sorry to hear about Don. He rode for West Ham. Started out well but faded after a few meetings. I think it was because his first love was trials.

Egon Müller was also a very good youth rider,before he turned to the speedway and longtrack.Although as i'm not sure what the difference between trials and MotoX is, i'm not 100% sure which one it was :unsure::)

Malc Ballard?, still my number 1 Eastbourne rider, went from reserve in April to number 1, within afew weeks and England international, not one of the Kennetts favorite riders, though they get on fine now. Malc still lives near me (about a mile away) down here on the South coast.

Malc Ballard?, still my number 1 Eastbourne rider, went from reserve in April to number 1, within  afew weeks and England international, not one of the Kennetts favorite riders, though they get on fine now. Malc still lives near me (about a mile away) down here on the South coast.

I am sure I remember seeing him years ago scrambling (possibly on a Husqvarna) at East Meon I think, caught a stone full on in the mouth, blood, snot etc, trip to hospital then back to the racing in the afternoon, tough or what? :)

Also remember seeing Arthur Browning on the Works Greeves, another all out racer imo. :)

Happy days

Colin :)

I remember "World Of Sport" covering it for a while, featuring (I think)

Vic Eastwood, Vic Hallam & Arthur Browning.

For the retro speedway/ motocross fans about us [here] are a pair of Auther Browning's race pants on ebay.

For the retro speedway/ motocross fans about us [here] are a pair of Auther Browning's race pants on ebay.

Don't look long enough to me :D

Incidently Arthur won the 'Red Marley' hill climb last year I think. So can still mix it.

Colin :)

I rode in a couple of those ITV Motocross meetings in the support races. One was at Lydden where the meeting also had Rallycross cars which made for interesting viewing between races :)

His name was Vic Allan, Greeves teamate of Arthurs, along with Bryan (Wild) Wade. In fact Greeves had several 'works' riders for a small concern.

Best move on cos I am wandering off course now. But great memories all the same.

Colin.. :)

Guest Jim Blanchard
Although as i'm not sure what the difference between trials and MotoX is, i'm not 100% sure which one it was

Doug,

The difference: Trials is riding usually one at a time over obstacles that the entrants will receive penalty points for putting their feet down. No speed involved - just skill. The rider with the least penalties wins.

Moto X is a flag to flag race at the highest speed over a dirt track that is usually forest based with steep hills and descents and plenty of trees.

Don Smith was the European trials champion. Here is a shot of him helping at the Hackney training school. Pushing me off on one of the schools 2 valve Jawa's.

Jim

Here