British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
briggo

Where are they now?

Brian Leonard, James Bond and Mick Handley.

Not household names I know, but solid back up from my early years at Blunsdon.

Also Edgar Stangeland, a rider who never quite fulfilled his potential, what is he up to?

All info greatly appreciated

Mick Handley is still working as a builder up in the midlands. Don't know about the other two.

Also Edgar Stangeland, a rider who never quite fulfilled his potential, what is he up to?

Edgar for the past two years that I've been, has attended the VSRA in Coventry.

James Bond was the subject of a Speedway Star profile, (last year I think), and lives in Tewkesbury, listing bellringing as one of his hobbies. I think he is married to Howard Cole's sister, they met when James started riding at Wolves in the early sixties.

Bit of an odd one 'Briggo'

Neither Stangeland or Handley rode for Swindon before 1973 and 'you' left in 1972!!

Edgar for the past two years that I've been, has attended the VSRA in Coventry.

Yes, and here's a picture of him (on the right) at this year's dinner helping Olle Nygren to read a jolly good book...

Edgar

Bit of an odd one 'Briggo'

Neither Stangeland or Handley rode for Swindon before 1973 and 'you' left in 1972!!

I've been rumbled frigbo. I first saw the great Briggo back in '71, but can't remeber who we had as second strings back then. Mike Keen, Clive Hitch, Billy Wall, Ralph Waller perhaps?

Brian Leonard is currently residing in the Reading/Newbury telephone directory. He is. I looked. He's still there in Thatcham, even if his shop isn't.

As far as I know Edgar is now living in Ireland. Had him over the other year to do a few races at Somerset on the pre-Grand Prix night --and he was the same old Edgar --super guy !!

Brian leonard-im sure my mate mentioned his name when we were talking about jonssons track record at smallmead,would he have prepared the track for a while at Reading when Per was riding.

Brian leonard-im sure my mate mentioned his name when we were talking about jonssons track record at smallmead,would he have prepared the track for a while at Reading when Per was riding.

He did lower himself to be Team Manager for the Runners for a while in the 80's :P

Pierre brannefors and Mitch shirra two names which sprung to mind last night anyone know what these two are doing these days.

As far as I know Edgar is now living in Ireland. Had him over the other year to do a  few races at Somerset on the pre-Grand Prix night --and he was the same old Edgar --super guy !!

Can confirm that Edgar is living in Northern Ireland, between Belfast and Newcastle, and was running a dry cleaning business (I think).

Last time I heard of him he was a regular attender at the many road races held over here.

and has the weirdest Norweigan/Irish accent too!

Edited by stevehone