British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Brian L

Female Speedway Rider Ban

Can someone let me know when was the ban on female Speedway riders was put into place and by who? Was the ban in the UK only or worldwide? And when was it officially lifted?

Thanks

Brian

The ban happened after the meeting at Wembley on 22 May 1930.

It happened because one of the female riders, Billie Smith, fell during the grand parade before the meeting. Apparently one of the male riders cut in front of her and she had to shut off causing her to fall and break her collarbone. Because of the nature of the injury the St John Ambulance officers attending had to cut her clothes away on the track and expose her upper part. Sir Arthur Elvin felt this was very improper and immediately banned female riders from riding at Wembley. He reported the incident to the ACU who extended the ban to all tracks in this country.

I'm not sure but I think the ban was only lifted as a result of Equal Opportunities legislation.

There is a good female rider in Canada-Corrine Franic-appears at Paris speedway

I can't remember the date that the ban was lifted, but I do remember Simon Cross's sister Julie riding. I know she had a spin at Telford in the only year I went (probably the 1st or 2nd running of the event).

It must have been mid/late 80s when the ban was lifted. I think it was Maxine Hill who was the first female rider to emerge, and Lisa Whibberley was also around at that time. I guess it was the emergence of these two who got it lifted.

I know Julie Cross rode some indoor meetings, but I don't remember her doing conventional speedway. I might be wrong though.

Ban was lifted in 1988. The female riders I remember were Maxine Hill (Hackney Juniors) Lisa Whibberly (Arena Essex Juniors - I think) and Sarah Cunningham (Exeter Juniors - I think).

Julie Cross rode at Telford a couple of times I seem to remember.

Fay Taylour certainly rode speedway in New Zealand and Australia in 1929 or 1930 after the ACU band was imposed.

I am ceratin that it was in GB and not recognised worldwide. For the reason it was imposed, it all seems petty by today's standards.

I also remember a story on Maxine Hill appeared in the South London Press around 1989. :rolleyes:

Edited by speedyguy

I knew Maxine Hill very well, as we both worked at the London Borough of Merton Office in Morden, Surrey. We sometimes lunched together, and played darts too; she was pretty good.

Maxine was never able to reproduce her grass-track form on shale, and she really was quite brilliant on her 350. Unfortunately her career was cut short after some recurring injuries.

Steve

Because of the nature of the injury the St John Ambulance officers attending had to cut her clothes away on the track and expose her upper part. Sir Arthur Elvin felt this was very improper and immediately banned female riders from riding at Wembley. He reported the incident to the ACU who extended the ban to all tracks in this country.

That made me chuckle. I guess Sir Arthur thought it would be okay if male riders injured their lower half and had to be exposed :D

That made me chuckle. I guess Sir Arthur thought it would be okay if male riders injured their lower half and had to be exposed :D

Of course.Just would mean banning females from spectating as well then B)

Actually Sir Arthur wouldn't have though it ok and he once banned Putt Mossman from ever appearing again at the Empire Stadium because he thought he had exposed himself.

Putt wore an all over pink suit didn't he????? when he did one of his stunt acts at the Empire Stadium one night.

I think I read it in "The Wembley Years History" book

Yes. This is taken from "Wembley Speedway the Pre-War Years", available from all good book shops, Amazon and the author! :)

"Putt Mossman...put on an interval display. Mossman decided to perform, as his finale, a motor cycle striptease act. Standing on the saddle of his bike he removed his jacket, shirt and trousers. He appeared to be standing on his bike naked, although he was, in fact, wearing a skin coloured pair of briefs. The next day when he went to collect his money, the straight-laced Elvin told him he was banned from ever appearing at Wembley again."

The Billie Smith story is also featured in the book.

Ban was lifted in 1988. The female riders I remember were Maxine Hill (Hackney Juniors) Lisa Whibberly (Arena Essex Juniors - I think) and Sarah Cunningham (Exeter Juniors - I think).

I have looked through my Hackney programmes and Maxine Hill was in the Broadway Centurions (Hackney Junior) team managed by Bryn from the the start of the 1988 season until around halfway through that season when she retired from racing. The ban obviously was lifted early 1988 or late 1987, if anyone has any more precise info I would like to know. Also the match races between Maxine and Lisa Whibberley (Arena Essex) took place at Hackney during The 1988 London Riders Championship, I can vaguely remember this, but did not fill in the programme, so if anyone has the details can they let me know? Also any information on Sarah Cunningham, did she compete in Junior matches?

Thanks

Brian L

nobody remember bobbi hunter at the wembley indoor meeting back in the early? 80's?