British Speedway Forum
BOBBATH

Kenny Carter Book

I have just finished reading the book..totally riveting from start to finish.

As a Halifax, then Bradford fan living in Huddersfield, all the events in the book are very close to home. It's the sort of story you couldn't make up.

Congratulations to Tony MacDonald for producing this definitive and absorbing work on this talented but tragically flawed character.

What a great film/drama this would make!

I have just finished reading the book..totally riveting from start to finish.

As a Halifax, then Bradford fan living in Huddersfield, all the events in the book are very close to home.  It's the sort of story you couldn't make up.

Congratulations to Tony MacDonald for producing this definitive and absorbing work on this talented but tragically flawed character.

What a great film/drama this would make!

I do believe that the family have been approached about a film/ drama and turned it down.

we all complain theres not enough speedway books to read,why doesnt somebody write a few books so we can enjoy reading them in the off season.well tony mac has and done a great job.grow up bob and the others who complain about this and that,if your not happy with the book try writing one your self.15 quid is a cheap read try getting that value for money with any other book.i only hope bob when you left the uk you didnt end up in australia,we dont need that type of negative thinking out in the land of oz.WELL DONE TONY A GREAT READ ABOUT ONE OF ENGLANDS BEST EVER RIDERS. :D I CANT WAIT FOR THE NEXT GOOD READ.

Guest Simpson Bandit
Some people never fail to amaze me. Unbelievable  :mad:

What's your problem TrackStaff, try shooting someone or commiting suicide sometime, then tell me how much bottle it takes :rolleyes:

if i was compleyely nuts, i would agree with you. my grand dad killed himself and it affected everybody. defend yourself and/or your family, absolutely, try and harm my family or steal from me and ya might catch a bullet. but i'm sorry i think you are waaaay out there and completely off base. for such a brave and determined rider to do what he did is unforgiveable. we all have a right to our personal opinions and to express them, i just gave you mine. I think it is better to remember Kenny for his positive rather than bring up that final crazy and selfish act. I just dont get it. leave it be. :angry:

if i was compleyely nuts, i would agree with you. my grand dad killed himself and it affected everybody. defend yourself and/or your family, absolutely, try and harm my family or steal from me and ya might catch a bullet. but i'm sorry i think you are waaaay out there and completely off base. for such a brave and determined rider to do what he did is unforgiveable. we all have a right to our personal opinions and to express them, i just gave you mine. I think it is better to remember Kenny for his positive rather than bring up that final crazy and selfish act. I just dont get it. leave it be.  :angry:

Brilliant summation Sandman.

The final act of Kenny's life took no courage or guts whatsoever and crazy and selfish are unfortuntely about the best words we have to describe it but in reality don't even begin to cover it.

I know people who have had harder lives than Kenny did and the easy way out would be to take their own life. The real guts and courage comes from facing life and dealing with it. Those people are true heroes that we should speak of in glowing terms with words such as courage and bravery and admire as great, strong people.

I am just beginning to read the book now - had it ages but was finishing another book first. It's drawn me in already and I can hardly put it down. Kenny will always remain my first and biggest sporting hero and nothing will change that. He was frankly brilliant on a bike and is one of a short list of riders who really should have been world champion but never made it for a variety of reasons. However fearless and great a rider he was though you have to take account of the whole story of his life. Whatever your views that final act should be condemned for what it was - a cowardly act regardless of the reasons for it's happening.

You are right Marcusthepom- I finally got the book ,read it and agree it is great-at least my comments way back generated a lot of interest-anyway apologies to all-a great read.Well done tmc.

You are right Marcusthepom- I finally got the book ,read it and agree it is great-at least my comments way back generated a lot of interest-anyway apologies to all-a great read.Well done tmc.

:D nice one bob,i was only sending you a little wined up.

tony mac is a nice fellow who writes a good read,but im sure theres been a few things left out he would have loved to have said.

if you read between the lines im sure we would all agree that we all get the idea of what sort of guy kenny was ,and the life he lived.

i can remember being in the pits at smallmead getting ready for a second half ride and kenny was riding for halifax as a 16 year old,pam was there along with every other tom dick and harry.you new he was going to be good,he new he was going to good and he didnt give much about anybody or anything that night other than racing.but as my dad has also told me nothing is what it seems,he was one mixed up fellow,reading the book you can understand why.

brave i dont think so,a little bit crazy might be closer to the mark,but shooting pam in the back well i think that sums him up.

Thanx marcusthepom-was interested in your post adding further insight into this unusual man(kenny Carter I mean)

Thanx marcusthepom-was interested in your post adding further insight into this unusual man(kenny Carter I mean)

:D if you like a good read try the tommy book,i would sign tommy before kenny any day.speedway lost a great rider and a wonderfull man.i wish i could have meet him.speedway needs lots more like tommy.

great book fab read......try it bob :D

THE Kenny Carter book is about to sell out!

So if you’ve been thinking about ordering your copy of Tragedy, then get on to us now – either by our Credit Card Hotline on 01708 734 502 or ordering via PayPal on our website at http://www.retro-speedway.com.

The book was published last June and it has proved such a hit that, as of today (November 21) we have just over 100 copies left for sale.

Our Malcolm Simmons book – Simmo: The Whole Truth, which was published in June 2006 – has already sold out just this week!

‘Why didn’t you print more copies?’ I hear you ask.

Good question. But who could possibly predict how great demand would be for either book? We have plenty of copies left of all our other books, where we DID print more. We are too small a company to over-print in large quantities and then risk having unsold copies in stock.

To be honest, we’ve been taken a little by surprise at the demand for the Kenny Carter Story, especially in the past two weeks, and we will have to seriously consider a re-print in the New Year.

In the meantime, though, if you have in mind to buy a copy for Christmas, either for yourself or a friend or relative, then get in touch with us right away….!

Cheers,

Tony Mac

My wife bought me this book (and the Eric Boocock biography) for Xmas and I have to say it was a very pleasant surprise indeed.

I became a big Carter fan in the early 80's, inspired by his clear pride in riding for his country - something that wasn't, amazingly, always the case with other riders. He was, in addition, the only rider I would go to a meeting just to see and, as many have said, that is something I am not sure we have seen from an Englishman since.

The book is brilliant, and I would recommend it to anyone. Its not spoiled by the personal opinions of the author who remains impartial and insightful at all times whilst recognising the nature of the subject at hand.

we all complain theres not enough speedway books to read,why doesnt somebody write a few books so we can enjoy reading them in the off season.well tony mac has and done a great job.grow up bob and the others who complain about this and that,if your not happy with the book try writing one your self.15 quid is a cheap read try getting that value for money with any other book.i only hope bob when you left the uk you didnt end up in australia,we dont need that type of negative thinking out in the land of oz.WELL DONE TONY A GREAT READ ABOUT ONE OF ENGLANDS BEST EVER RIDERS. :D I CANT WAIT FOR THE NEXT GOOD READ.

Marcus, your comments on the lack of speedway books is interesting.A few years back I had a bookshop in Perth, I was continually asked for books on speedway. I decided when I retired to Queensland three years back to start writing. I wrote biographies/ articles on Bluey Scott, Keith Cox. Keith Gurtner, Bob Sharp, Johnny Chamberlain, Garry Middleton, Vic Sage, Bonnie Waddell, Syd Littlewood and Bill Braund mostly with the help of the riders or relatives.

Jim Henry has published many of these in Speedway Researcher. Speedwayplus and Newcastle web sites have also published them.

However the cost of publishing is prohibitive, and I have failed to get any interest from the recognised speedway publishers to take them on board, so I have elected to self publish on demand, my products are not professional but do include the information and inside stories.

As you know marcus I had a lot of contact with riders over the years and there are some stories that cannot be told!!

If you want to read some of these just email me on binbooks@iinet.net. and I will forward to you .I want to share my work with other speedway folk not let it sit on my computer

Tony

Great book, read it at least twice will no doubt do so again. Anorak question: is the 2nd edition any different to the 1st or is it basically a re-print?...

Edited by Martin Mauger