British Speedway Forum

There was no super swede Jonas or Freddie to make it entertaining. The Brits call themselves racers but couldnt race on such a 'race track' - at coventry they won most of their points from bend 2 onwards. :P

Personally, I think they should hold the World Cup Final at the Millenium Stadium the day after the British Grand Prix.

This was one of the best meetings ever televised. Fair play to Poland, worthy winners, but the "illness" to Walasek sours the victory. A reality check for British Speedway tonight. Maybe now the Sky money that is diverted into one promoters pocket every year should be diverted into the grass roots of the sport before we finish up like a Finland or USA. Lets be honest, GB were poor tonight from 1 thru 5, and that is being kind.

POLAND 55Points, WORLD CHAMPIONS

Denmark 52

Australia 29

Great Britain 15

Don't slag off a British team for losing. It's not our way. The tradition for us is "magnificent in victory, glorious in defeat."

Look how badly we did against the Australians at cricket last winter, but what a magnificent side we have fielded against the West Indies and India in recent months to prove we are one of the world's great cricketing countries.

We showed our class in the qualifier at Coventry against fantastic teams like Sweden, Russia and USA. That result proved deep down that we have a great side, Leszno in the SWC was just a blip.

Stiff upper lip and all that chaps (and ladies of course). :unsure::rolleyes:

Edited by speedyguy

And then there will only be about 1000 people there watching it! You can see with that crowd tonight and atmosphere why they have it in Poland every few years. Got a feeling though it could be back in Vojens next year.

After this year Anywhere but Vojens! :angry:

Isn't Sweden due to host a World Cup soon?

This country could were once speedway legends. The team was feared throughout the speedway world.

The team which allegedly contested the final today were nothing less than a national disgrace. Middleditch your immediate resignation is required.

Sadly, I changed my avatar under the false impression that the team would be competative.

A team made up of Belle Vue and Ipswich riders would probably have done better.

Dismayed, Distraught, Deluded and Disgusted

Stockport.

Edited by Ron Butler

Despite the name, Geraint Jones isn't Welsh. He was born in Papua New Guinea and brought up in Australia.

I believe he is classed as a Welshman, despite his place of birth and where is was brought up.

No different to say, oh, I don't know......................

Jason Crump;)

Few Points

Superb meeting...Congrats the Poles

Hard lines the Brits

Maybe next year we should get our Engines done by the same people that do the Poles and Danes.....Im sure Leigh Adams would join us in that

Tomasz Gollob...rolling back the years

Poland cheating.....well might off ...might not......But it is nothing to the illnesses that we hear about week in week out in the British League involving all nations of riders

Heat 25.......Very very funny......Thats why all us Brits love Scotty

As for the Hone's of this world slagging us....pretty much expected...but for someone who supports Poland you seem to be defending Denmark an awful lot :-)

jaybea

Swift change of name there Jirout :rolleyes: Not got two identities on here have you :o

Just watched the london masters Final

May not be very popular but that was the worse final I have seen!

Too many goals for my liking! :P(In the wrong end)

Okay, as my impartiality, contraryness and eyesight have now been questioned for expressing an opinion, that's it from me on this 'discussion' forum.

Any review of my previous posts would show I'm pretty much mainstream and not deliberately 'against the grain'. My thoughts on tonight were pretty much based on my own interpretation of the evidence:-

1) There will always be a degree of passing where there is such a spread of ability, track knowledge, experience and quality/set-up of machinery amongst a meeting with as many as 23 riders in.

2) A lot of the passing took place whilst those with lesser experience/ability/equipment were being relegated to their rightful place after gating at or near the front. There were odd occasions but rarely was a Dane or Pole passed once having reached the front.

3) On a big wide track there are a number of racing lines. The natural trajectory of the various routes gives them advantages at different points on the lap and hence overtaking and re-overtaking occurs. This happened a lot tonight but often with the same net outcome.

4) I have spent a lot of time in Poland and watched a lot of racing at Leszno. It is a great track but it has usually been set up differently than tonight and better for it in my view. Of those who have questioned my view of Leszno tonight I wonder how many others of them have seen 15-20 meetings there.

5) I understand my view of the track has to some degree been mirrored by Leigh Adams who has said that tonight things were "a bit different to most of his 12 years racing there". But hey, I guess he's just blind and contrary too.

Cheers folks, this forum is a really great idea but given the quality of debate (do we really think Poole 2004 has any relevance to tonight's meeting ?) it's not one for me anymore.

PS - Well done to Poland.

well how the hell anybody didn't find that exciting is beyond me........sensational stuff had to close my eyes on occasion can't believe there wasn't a real mash up :shock:

:wink:

Okay, as my impartiality, contraryness and eyesight have now been questioned for expressing an opinion, that's it from me on this 'discussion' forum.

Any review of my previous posts would show I'm pretty much mainstream and not deliberately 'against the grain'. My thoughts on tonight were pretty much based on my own interpretation of the evidence:-

1) There will always be a degree of passing where there is such a spread of ability, track knowledge, experience and quality/set-up of machinery amongst a meeting with as many as 23 riders in.

2) A lot of the passing took place whilst those with lesser experience/ability/equipment were being relegated to their rightful place after gating at or near the front. There were odd occasions but rarely was a Dane or Pole passed once having reached the front.

3) On a big wide track there are a number of racing lines. The natural trajectory of the various routes gives them advantages at different points on the lap and hence overtaking and re-overtaking occurs. This happened a lot tonight but often with the same net outcome.

4) I have spent a lot of time in Poland and watched a lot of racing at Leszno. It is a great track but it has usually been set up differently than tonight and better for it in my view. Of those who have questioned my view of Leszno tonight I wonder how many others of them have seen 15-20 meetings there.

5) I understand my view of the track has to some degree been mirrored by Leigh Adams who has said that tonight things were "a bit different to most of his 12 years racing there". But hey, I guess he's just blind and contrary too.

Cheers folks, this forum is a really great idea but given the quality of debate (do we really think Poole 2004 has any relevance to tonight's meeting ?) it's not one for me anymore.

PS - Well done to Poland.

Take a chill pill fellar!

Hey, we just got stuffed in Poland and the Spurs was robed! :blink::D

I accept you opinion

Just don't agree with it!

Looking forward to the excuses .... Shocking display by Team GB.

No excuses we were rubbishe, all the action was at the front of each race, we might as well have been riding squads! Let's face it we just were not fast enough, one thing I did notice a fair few times though we were riding the inside line whilst the others seemed to be out wide in the dirt. Now I'm no speedway rider and never professed to be one but if others are riding out wide and beating said last placed rider almost every race, would it not be a good idea to think about trying the line they are racing? (having re-read that there's a couple of excuses there from me so I lied sorry :lol: )

Poland won the SWC and this thread is open again??? why on earth was it locked earlier tonight??? WHY??????????????

At a rough guess I'd say it was because during the meeting there was a tad too much chat on the thread. :wink:

Didnt take Hans long to start spitting his dummy,did it?

Hmmmmmm as patriotic as I am, I find that a bit unfair as there were certainly a few of us spitting ours out at the end of SWC 2004 like he said 2nd is the first loser

waiting for some of these Team GB fans to start cursing about home track advantage ... before you do, think back a year.

Not from me I'm afraid, yes the Poles won but they didn't have it all their way did they?

Why should you be worried? You don't even support TeamGB.

Also made it quite clear that he doesn't like Middlo and has upset Ed's Uncle with a few comments in the past as well :wink:

Team GB were absolute crap at the beginning, but at least we improved to just plain crap by the end. So well done Britain - glorious losers!

No denying in the end the best team won.

:approve:

I assume I'm a member of the "look at me gang" am I as one of your members refered to me as fairy boy?

Ah but if there is a picture of you lurking around with a Pink Cowboy hat on then I'm afraid the rumours may well be true :lol:

Congratulations to Poland Congratulations on your win.

Shazzybird - Proud to be a TEAM GB fan - still glorious in defeat