British Speedway Forum
Grachan

Rider Fashion

I remember the first coloured leathers I saw in the 2nd Division. Easter Sunday 1969 Eastbourne Eagles v Kings Lynn Starlets, Graham Edmunds riding for KL wore white leathers.

I was very impressed, I was only 9 at the time though :)

Leathers were predominantly black until about 1971/72.  Of course, there had been odd riders such as Nigel Boocock (blue), Mike Broadbanks and Greg Kentwell (red), Alan Cowland and (much earlier) Ken Le Breton (white) who deviated from the norm.  Mauger and Briggs were two of the first riders to sport multi-coloured leathers.

As mentioned, Leicester were among the first to have "team" leathers, back in 1969.  Wimbledon had a sort of team outfit in 1970 or 71 (can't remember which), with leathers which were black, with yellow and red stripes on the arms and legs.

Then there were other teams (West Ham, for example) who kitted the team out in football jerseys.  There were a number of individuals also who often wore these, including Charlie Monk, and Bernt Persson.

Other "individual" tastes included Olle Nygren's white boots, Sture Lindblom's bow tie, and Ken 'Casper' Cameron's unique body colour!

Oh, and talking of fashions, don't forget those riders who wore scarves.  I think Neil Collins was probably the last of that breed.

Steve

As well as Olle Nygren wearing white boots there was also Bert Harkins who also wore white boots.

As well as Olle Nygren wearing white boots there was also Bert Harkins who also wore white boots.

In addition, Ivor Brown always rode with a white shirt over his Black Leathers in the early 60's. He always looked the more prestine rider of all time as both he and his bikes were spotless. Still remember his races with Ivan. It was best to keep out of the way on track or you could get injured for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. :D

:blink::blink:

In addition, Ivor Brown always rode with a white shirt over his Black Leathers in the early 60's. He always looked the more prestine rider of all time as both he and his bikes were spotless. Still remember his races with Ivan. It was best to keep out of the way on track or you could get injured for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.  :D

:blink:  :blink:

Seem to remember reading some where that they had some kind of feud going on between them.

Edited by spin king

Not forgetting Doug Flyer Wyer with his white leathers with the tassles on the arms.

What about the "Briggo" leathers as I called them, which were mainly red and had very noticeable thin black stripes down the arms. A number of riders wore these as well as Briggo (Martin Ashby, Scott Autrey and Graeme Stapleton were 3 I seem to recall).

If memory serves it was some sort of promotional tie-in, can anyone elaborate???

There was a well known feud between Mauger and Ivor Brown-it was alluded to in Mauger's autobiography-written years ago-I think it was called Triple Crown Plus-didn't name Ivor as the rider.Does anybody know why they disliked each other so much.Its interesting to me that Ivor was well into his thirties when he was top man in PL in 1963-64

When Barry Briggs joined the Saints he wore a black and white jumper over his leathers. Some Saints fans decided to knit him a new one in red and white. Unfortunately, his wearing of the red and white jumper seemed to spark a run of bad luck for him and he ceremoniously set fire to the jumper - on the centre green if I recall correctly.

Which brings up an interesting point.When did sponsors find there way onto leathers?Cyril Maidment had sponsorship on his leathers.Elite motors,just round the corner from my grandads house.That must have been around 1970/71

That's right, Iris, and it would have to have been around that time, as Maido retired at the end of '71. Again, I'm pretty sure that Ivan and Briggo would have been two of the first with sponsorship (Jawa amongst others) on their leathers.

I'll have a look through some old books and magazines and see what I can find. Interesting question!

Steve

I'm pretty sure that Ivan and Briggo would have been two of the first with sponsorship (Jawa amongst others) on their leathers.

Steve

Looking back, it does seem that they were the first two to really advertise on their leathers in 1969, although Ivan still often wore black (as he did in that year's World Final).

Referring to the main point of this thread, another one who stood out was Alan Knapkin, with his yellow leathers. Garry Middleton and Jimmy Gooch also had light blue and white leathers.

Steve

Guest sjl
I remember a quote from Nigel one night after he had to ride in borrowed (black) leathers "It felt like some other chap was riding me bike"

:D

Ha! I rest my case :lol: (don't feel such a fool now)

I seem to remember reading some years ago that Dewayne Keeter was the first rider to wear coloured leathers in British Speedway in the 1960s.

As riders in Flat Track were wearing coloured leathers at this time in the U.S. then i suppose it's not unusual that it would be an American rider that would be the first over here.

Looking back, it does seem that they were the first two to really advertise on their leathers in 1969, although Ivan still often wore black (as he did in that year's World Final).

Referring to the main point of this thread, another one who stood out was Alan Knapkin, with his yellow leathers.  Garry Middleton and Jimmy Gooch also had light blue and white leathers.

Steve

Nearly certain that Ivan wore black leathers in a World Final as a deliberate ploy to be possibly mistaken for a Russian or Pole. Almost certain it was the 1972 Final as at that time Western riders were almost exclusively wearing coloured leathers.

I seem to remember reading some years ago that Dewayne Keeter was the first rider to wear coloured leathers in British Speedway in the 1960s.

Dewayne Keeter only rode 1 season in British Speedway and that was the previously mentioned 1969 campaign with Leicester when the whole team wore identical coloured leathers.

Dewayne Keeter only rode 1 season in British Speedway and that was the previously mentioned 1969 campaign with Leicester when the whole team wore identical coloured leathers.

He also owned some yellow leathers, I believe.

Steve