British Speedway Forum

Newport aren't the only club who can or have run an out of season meeting, but I think there are a limited number of licences available for out of season meetings (3 springs to mind for some reason).

The rule is that permits will be granted for one meeting per calendar month.

So November is vacant, December Brighton, January (up to now and I hope it continues) Newport and Feb is Telford.

However there is nothing to stop the BSPA deciding to change the rule, either as a matter of policy or as an 'exception' to the policy.

Poole are grave robbers - offical. I hope Matt Ford can sleep at night. And they wonder why everyone hates them.

They have taken the sport to an all time low.

Edited by father jack

Poole are grave robbers - offical. I hope Matt Ford can sleep at night. And they wonder why everyone hates them.

A bit of a ridiculous statement. If Poole hadn't held it it would not have taken place. And it's only for one year.

Newport don't have a current promoter and until all legalities are sorted there won't be any speedway at Newport so why be bitter?.

If Poole hadn't held it it would not have taken place.

That wasn't necessarily the case.

The NYC at Newport could have been the springboard a new promotion needed to kick things off there again. Better to start a new season with some money in the bank rather than starting off in the red. Hope this doesn't affect Newports chances of a league return next season :(

Fat maud can shove his meeting, not only because of the principles of the situation but the early March meeting this season was dire, can't imagine a January meeting a wimbourne road being any better.

Personally hope it flops! :angry:

A bit of a ridiculous statement. If Poole hadn't held it it would not have taken place. And it's only for one year.

Newport don't have a current promoter and until all legalities are sorted there won't be any speedway at Newport so why be bitter?.

Steve only you could think what has happened is in the least bit ethical.

All I can add, is that when I was told of this on Monday, it was said at the time that no objections to the plan to hold the meeting had been received. I've no reason to doubt the integrity of the person who told me this so this might indicate that no other promotion or concern were planning to go ahead at Newport or anywhere else. At the moment a lot of the anger appears to be based on rumour and heresay over timings and possibilities.

Very disappointed that this meeting has been lost to Newport for next year,I was hoping that it would still take place at it`s rightful home :neutral:

Still,if it`s a success at Poole,I can`t wait to see all the Poole fans travel up to Newport when it returns to it`s rightful home,I`ll even let Shovvy buy me a pint :lol:

Been a strange old season. Even though some of my closest friends and family are heavily involved with Speedway I've found myself drifting away from the sport quite a bit and thought that it was because of Tim's death being that he was a good friend but I've realised it's not that.

They say Speedway is a family sport and that is their tag line to get people along but the majority of the people within the sport couldn't be further that statement.

It was hard enough for people connected to Newport Speedway to loose Tim and thus the Wasps for a year. Then on top of that the despicable actions from the Plymouth promotion to steal the team and rebrand them for their own gain.

But JUST as fans start to see a bit of light at the end of the tunnel with a new owner/promotion, this comes out.

The NYC was NEVER an event that moved around different tracks like the ELRC, it was a Newport event. Newport started it and have run it since we reopened in the new era.

Yes, officially Newport do not have a promotion, but it is widely known that the wheels are in motion in a big way and I know the BSPA are aware of this, and the new regime have said that they WANT to run the meeting. So like someone else said why not allow them to use this event as a springboard and a new beginning of sorts, maybe change the name as a tribute to Tim and his legacy at Newport?

Really poor form from the Poole promotion, regardless of the timing they applied for the meeting. I've never really understood the reasons behind the dislike of Poole from alot of members on this forum, but it's starting to become clear now.

:mad::mad:

The NYC at Newport could have been the springboard a new promotion needed to kick things off there again. Better to start a new season with some money in the bank rather than starting off in the red. Hope this doesn't affect Newports chances of a league return next season :(

Fat maud can shove his meeting, not only because of the principles of the situation but the early March meeting this season was dire, can't imagine a January meeting a wimbourne road being any better.

Personally hope it flops! :angry:

Hope it rain right through the month :mad:

Although I can understand some of the bad feeling towards the Poole promotion, if anyone should be blamed then it should be the BSPA whom (according to the press release) ratified Matt Ford's application to run the meeting. As a Reading supporter now living in Dorset, I'm actually looking forward to this meeting and hope it will be a success.

Although Matt may not be eveyone's favourite promoter I have far more confidence in him putting on a good show than the current Reading promoters. If you compare the line-up for the Poole Jubilee meeting with Reading's last ever meeting on Sunday (when the Racer's greatest ever rider won't even be there) then you perhaps some of you may objectively appreciate the reason why the BSPA awarded this meeting to Poole.

Given the sometimes laughable attempts by EL promotions to prepare raceable tracks for the televised meetings held during the summer months, whats the chance of them being able to do it for a meeting in January?

If it chucks it down and the meeting flops, then I probably wont be the only one with a wry smile on my face.

Hopefully for 2010 it will be back at it's rightful home.

Screw you Matt Ford.

Not only a cheat (Number 8) who lacks integrity (let his riders guest in a double header after appealing against the same thing the week before) but also stealing the NYC.

Is there any reason why Newport could not run the meeting on December 31st? Just to piss on Matt Fords party? With no Brighton, the December licence is now available.

Edited by SCB

All I can add, is that when I was told of this on Monday, it was said at the time that no objections to the plan to hold the meeting had been received.

Sorry but that doesn't really wash when the person in a position to object was dead! No other promotion was in a position to go ahead because the future of Newport was uncertain, given the meeting is not until January no application even needed to be made at the time. Or the application could have been made on the grounds of 'if Newport is unable to hold the meeting' It is greed - no more and no less that saw the application go in.

Steve Shovlar's comment that it wouldn't have taken place if Poole hadn't stepped in is also nonsense given that the BSPA were fully aware of what was happening at Newport. If Poole only applied to keep the meeting alive they are now in a perfect position to hand the meeting back in the secure knowledge that it will go ahead.

It's not really a loss to Poole as I rarely go there these days but I can say for sure that I will never go there again unless the promotion changes hands. That the first place I ever saw Speedway and where I spent some of the most memorable days of my childhood I now consider has acted so immorally is a great disappointment.

If you view the possibilty of an improved line up as reason to behave in this way then I think you must understand Matt Ford far better than I do and I am glad I don't understand him.